How many levels should they have in Arcanum 2?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Baal, Mar 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

How many levels do you think characters should have?

1. 50 (Standard)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 80

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 90

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 100 (what I suggest)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 100+ (write in your suggestion if you want)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Infinite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baal

Baal New Member

I think that only having 50 levels wasn't enough. Whenever I wanted to make a character it stopped me half way, especially if I was playing as a mage. I found at level 100 to be perfect, but then all the monsters died too easy. Then the game wasn't made to go that high.

2. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

50. The problem weren't the amount of levels, but the low amount of points per level.

3. Baal

Baal New Member

That would also solve the problem, if they double the number of points.

4. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

i think games like this should not described by level but by the amount of expertise in each field... the more u use a sword the more u get better at it am i right.....of course i am .... and the skill point should not be spend like this anywhere but in a library or somekind of shop or place in a city and the more developed the city the more complex should be the thing`s that u learn...my opinion is this above

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I've always believed levels in an RPG should be infinite. Making a calculation to work our what XP is required to reach the next level can't be that hard. That way, you don't have to worry about a level cap and it's just a matter of making the game so that even if you reach high levels, it's still challenging.

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I agree, no level cap, especially not in party games like TOEE, if playing like one guy I'd be level 10 long before entering the temple, but playing with five guys they all get to level 10 right before the final encounter, and are therefore 5 times stronger that the lonely guy, who has fought as much as them.

7. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I agree...at 100 levels you can pretty much have your character master a lot of skills which sorta kills the idea of playing a "certain type" of character.

8. Stoat

Stoat New Member

The solution to this problem is to add to what you can put experience toward. This problem could also be eased by making the player spend a character point to gain masteries, i.e. you need to save a point if you want to become an aprentis at something. Rather than hoping to find a simatic you might go to colege and spend a skill point and learn the design from a professor. Find a way to add spell to schools and spend character points for additional spells. How hard would it be to think up new spells to add to a school.

9. EyeOfFire

EyeOfFire New Member

Hmm, I'm not one for having unlimited levels in rpgs - thats what was good about arcanum - you CAN'T do everything. If you had unlimited levels, you could go magic and techy and thief and attacker and bowman AND throwing if you wanted to, and that would just plainly suck.

If you did go a very high level - such as 100+ you would need to have a lot more magic and techy colleges and maybe some other skills (such as sling)

Another addition I think could be good is having literal experience with certain items - if you kill stuff with a sword a lot then that is how you get literal experience for it - and if you dont use it for a while then you get rusty - still have the original character thing of course, I just think this could make it better - it also wards off those power-hungry guys who want to have unlimited levels and be good at everything

10. Baal

Baal New Member

BWAAHAHAHA!!
    Ahhh it’s good to be back.
    I can’t believe it that some of my threads are still going.

I think you have a good idea, as long as you don’t loose skills to fast. You may be able to pay a person to train you in a class so you could use it, then you must practice that skill before someone will train you more.

In my current game I’m an expert at healing and have never used it once, yet.

11. Rogan

Rogan New Member

ya should be able to set the level limit in preferences..
    But I am a power monger. i say infinite.

12. Grayman

Grayman New Member

I would say infinite, however I always enjoyed the Shadowrun skill design, and how the cost increased per level. I would recommend an increasing cost per level of skill.

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I'd say stuff over 4 weeks are gravedigging :p

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

typically stuff over 1 week is, unless what you're saying is extremely important. not just an opinion.

15. Xz

This forum is dead, do 4 weeks.

16. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

If you look at the dates of the posts, you'll actually notice this thread has been dug up three different times. First after a 6 month break, then after a 3 month break and then now after 1 month.

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Which means... that this thread will receive hundreds of thousands of entries daily in just a few months?

18. Xz

Our Host!