Hello... I've been banned!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Tom Delada, Jun 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tom Delada

Tom Delada New Member

First off, my sincere apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum. Please move it if that's the case.

Secondly, well... as you might have gathered from the title I've been banned and currently am using a proxy to post this. All fine and dandy, you might think, but until today I've not even had an account here. In fact I even created this account just to post this message. Crazy, huh?

Now I've been browsing this forum for quite a while, I'm not going to lie. And I've learned a lot and greatly appreciate the downloads you guys have to offer (Drog's patches are a godsend, for example) but until now I've never been compelled to create an account. So Admin, good job getting me to come out of the woodwork and say hi but banning users may not be the best long term strategy ;) I'm assuming that a blanket ban's been posted on my IP so is there a chance that this could be lifted? Since I've gone to the trouble of creating this account I may as well get as much use as possible out of it, and I'd love to do so without having to go through a proxy. Can anything be done?

Apologies for the wall of text. If you need a tl;dr then... Ignore this, because it'd only bore you anyway ;)

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

3. Tom Delada

Tom Delada New Member

Woah... The admin here don't mess around, do they?

4. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

They have been known to ban entire countries to keep a single user out.

5. Tom Delada

Tom Delada New Member

Yes, I saw that while trawling through some old threads, and then of course there are the spambots that've been mentioned more than once on this very board. I understand the importance of keeping things like that at bay, after all spambots do tend to ruin things for everyone. And I'm not trying to tell the Powers That Be (or whatever nicknames you may have for the folks who run this place) how to do their jobs. I just think it sucks for folks like me who get caught in the crossfire. But then I guess in any war there's gonna be collateral damage, right?

Edit: This is off topic but needs to be said anyway: I love the avatar. At least I think I do. Well... Ok, my brain is actually flicking between 'that is awesome' and 'Magikarp has never looked so disturbing...' So, yeah, call that a result if you like ;)

6. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

Same here.

I was re-playing Arcanum recently and found out about Drog's patch. Then I started reading these boards and I've grown to like it here. Best source of information about the game and a good laugh from time to time. I don't want to leave, even though I wasn't ever really here since you weren't aware of my presence. Thanks again to Muro for suggesting using a proxy server (I - as tech-challenged as I am - didn't come up with the idea). Well, I hope the administrators will find a satisfactory solution to our problem.

And by the way, hello everyone! Who knows, now that I registered I might even contribute occasionally.

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've linked to this topic in the staff forum.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Incorrect. I wasn't any admin at that point in time. Besides, we were all 13 at one point in time...

Alright. I'll think about it, and try to concoct a better solution than my blanket IP ban.

10. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

I appreciate it, DarkFool.

Edit: The ban has been lifted. Thanks.

11. Gotcha

Gotcha New Member

Hello there,

First, my sincere apologies for revitalising this thead.

I am having the same problem as the topic starter and wondered if you can unban me as well?

I bought Arcanum from gog.com a couple of days ago and was searching information about it. These forums seem to be the best place, but imagine my surprise that I was banned, without ever visiting the place.

10 minutes ago the quarter that was stuck in my head finally fell through and I got the idea to try a proxy site.

Regards,

Gotcha

12. DarkFool

We currently have a blanket ban in place to keep out spam bots. A better system of filtration is being worked on.

13. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

14. DarkFool

Quiet, and back to your cell!

Actually, it's more the fact that while that IP range is predominantly being used by Chinese Spambots, there's other means to block people we don't want.

15. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I honestly didn't realize there were so many lurkers.

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Turns out my lady has been banned as well. Needless to say, we would both be grateful is this were undone. She probably has a static IP, so I'm guessing unbanning shouldn't be much of a problem here.

17. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Just make a new alt account and get over it.

18. DarkFool

Actually, it is a huge pain in the ass to undo... but I'll take a look at it.

19. DarkFool

20. Zireael

Zireael New Member

Thanks. I do appreciate your struggle.

Our Host!