Healing salve issues..WIP 2.2

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by wastelandhero, Mar 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Well I figured I would put this in a new thread.

Once I reached level 14 I started having issues with healing salves. They just stop working, sometimes in the middle of combat. I reloaded my last save and it was ok for a bit. Sometimes they don't work on me, sometimes not on others. Volanger(sp?) won't heal himself either. Janya can Heal him though.

Fresh install, fresh download of patch and mod. Re-used save game.

Stuck on this one, the salves will get removed from inventory as usual but don't do anything. All members are pure tech.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

There's been a couple, three people now who've reported problems with healing salve when they've gotten up there in tech. And I haven't got a clue as to why.

Try this: empty the Sierra/Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/maps folder.
    There's between 85 to 100 oddly named files with no extention in there. Delete them all and try again.
    This forces the game to take a fresh inventory as to what's supposed to be in the saves.
    Maybe - just maybe, this'll help.

Fair warning though - Once in a great while it will corrupt your saves.

3. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I did want you suggested and no change, also I can't leave The Wolfse Cave. It locks up at the exit. But I can ESC to the menu screen and reload. Since others are encountering this I am removing the mod for now and going to try tech on a stock game until the next release. Hopefully someone figures this one out.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

This weekend I'm going to explore this high-tech/healing salve thing.

Also - not being able to leave the Wolfe Cave tells me, in spite of your reload, you have a glitch.

5. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Well I am level 8 on a stock game- tech gunfighter. It's a shame I don't have Faith though, she was a nice addition the the game.

I will post any glitches encountered on this run, hopefully it is just a WIP concern I have and it can be tracked down and possibly fixed.

Thanks for all your help, I hope it can be fixed because I am enjoying your mod. Good work.

I am curious to see where the dead thief addition in the Shrouded Hills temple goes, very intrieging.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The dead thief and the murder scene in Tarant has been turned off until I get the rest of the Mad Scientist quest built. This'll be the last time anyone has to wonder about them for a while.

7. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Just wondering on any progress with the healing salve issue?

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I had the problem happen once after six tries but I wasn't able to repeat it.
    Then I got a bright idea for my mod and forgot about it. Sorry.
    I'll try again tonight.

9. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

No rush. I am playing a stock game at the moment and am enjoying the tech experience. Especially finding schematics and building stuff to see what it will do.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Ok - Over the past couple days, I ran 5 different characters, whose only modification was to reset the tech level to 100%, through the game all the way up to level 20. With the half-elf female, I got the glitch once at the Tarant sewers, then it corrected itself on the next heal attempt (same round). None of the other PCs or followers had any trace of a problem.

I still don't know what's causing this to happen but here's an idea that sounds plausible to this layman: In a basic computer class I took, I heard of how computers can sometimes "flip a bit" as it reads software - a 0 becomes a 1 and vice-versa - and that can cause the software to act up.
    The game engine is now searching through an extra layer of data (the Arcanum5.dat and patch 1) for instructions. Perhaps that's what's happening here. The extra effort on the game engine is causing it to flip a bit now and then.

I'm probably 10 miles off-base here, but it makes sense to me.

Perhaps when someone next encounters this problem they'll be willing to try this: As you play, save frequently. When the healing salve glitch occurs, exit the game without saving, then restart, play the scene again, and let us know if that solved the problem.

Someone - anyone? Please try this. Thanks in advance.

11. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

There could be hundreds of possible answers to this conundrum. :D One of them is this bit flipping you mentioned, as for the others, voltage changes in the hardware, bad coding, etc., you really can't be 100% sure.

If you ask me, the most probable answer is bad coding. The game engine while accesing more files might leave a variable or two on its old value thus rendering something in the game useless. Since Arcanum had a lot of bugs before, my vote goes for this one. :D

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That's not bad. Not bad at all, and it, too, makes perfect sense.

13. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Stock game, level 38 tech gynfighter tech at 80 or so, no problems with anything so far. It's played on an AMD anthlon 64 3000+ 2ghrz 448 mb ram, built in 3d graphics shared memory. It's not the fastest computer out there by far. Guess I wil stick to mage/melee fighter with no tech when the next WIP comes out.

14. charmedmeat

charmedmeat New Member

When it happened to me, it was always in a dungeon/hostile area, after a few uses, it would just stop working. As soon as I walked outside, my health bar jumped up, as if they were queued, but did not take effect. I was able to reproduce it in the Tarant sewers quite frequently. Hope that helps!

15. charmedmeat

charmedmeat New Member

oh and FYI, this isn't a bit flipping issue, as it's acting like a stuck queue. Perhaps in the script that gets called for health add, or item usage, it's not always registering a subroutine it needs to call. Could also be a deprecated API call, instead of a newer one. Witnout knowledge of the scripting engine, and the API, difficult for me to say, but it's definitely a stuck/unprocessed queue from what I can tell (see above)

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thanks for the info.
    I need to do some serious studying and see if I can find this.

Our Host!