Hard life of an ogre

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by BioVass, Jul 11, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. BioVass

BioVass New Member

In Arcanum armors of large size are so rare. Is there any solution?
    A place where good big armors are sold?
    Or some mod, perhaps?

2. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

Sadly, only solution is to wait for them to show up. Just scroll/walk so that you don't see the shopkeeper and wait for a day. I know this can be bit of a pain, but it's really only (aside random loot) option for magickal or neutral characters. Tech characters have it easier as components for most armors are very common, but waiting components for machined platemail is even more of a pain because minute steamworks seems to rarer than big armors.

You should note though that random loot is determined by character's name and technically it would be possible to make character that would get lots of large armors in loot, but I have no idea how it's determined. Also large leather armors seem to show up in random loot quite often despite your name. Also you will probably have to stick with self-made stuff (smithy discipline and "powered" armors), leather armors or basic platemails, since large magick type platemails seem to extremely rare (possibly nonexistant) and I'm pretty sure large chainmails simply don't exist.

3. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Large armours are much more common in shops if you're using the UAP than they are in vanilla. The life of an ogre (and pretty much everyone else) is much easier with the patch.

If you haven't gotten very far in your game you might want to take a look in Shrouded Hills. Lukan the Witless' henchmen both wear large leather armour which can be extremely useful early on, especially if the alternative is your starting outfit.

(For some reason their armours have an AC of 4 rather than 9. Anyone know why?)

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've found that large oiled thieves leather isn't too hard to purchase in the thieves underground shops or even from some magick shops (the one in Ashbury definitely sells it). It offers better protection than leather armour and I'm pretty sure it weighs less too.

Additionally, half-ogres do have an innate damage resistance (10%) which cushions the lack of good armour to an extent.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The WIP patch includes an ogre armorer in Tarant. I recommend it.

6. BioVass

BioVass New Member

Thank you boyz, you are very helpful.

7. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Re:

I guess it's so that they would be more easy to defeat, as that battle can be hard at lower levels if you decide to kill them and have a character which isn't the best in combat. I am not sure though, as I usually kill Ristezze after he's given me information about P. Schyler and Sons to get money and storage space - I pay the thieves and then come back at a higher level to kill them.

Our Host!