Half-Ogre Island still bothers me to this day...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by tamaneko, Sep 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tamaneko

tamaneko New Member

I guess that's props to Troika for creating such a disturbing, unsolvable quest, but...I don't know if it's a good or bad thing to keep on remembering this even more than the actual game itself. I mean, the entries about the Queen of Tarant, the underground basement in Tarant, all of it locking into place... ugh... :cry: [/code]

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

I think that quest is one of the better ones in RPG history. Pricesly because it has an "Un-desirable" ending. I wish more RPG's had over-all story arcs or quests where the badguys won.

3. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

I prefer non-inevitable outcomes in my games, but I like the quest regardless.

However, I have to admit that if it had been possible to "win" that quest it would have required almost as much game time as the main story in order to do it justice. Winning the quest (bringing those responsible to justice and making the public accept the reality and immensity of the crime) would have really upended the arcanum civilization and that in turn would mean that no simple quick fix victory would have been credible or fitting.

The reason I oppose inevitable quest outcomes in games is that we get enough of inevitable outcomes in passive entertainment media where inevitable outcomes are an intrinsic property of the medium. RPGs should make as much use of the opportunity to allow for flexible plot development and outcomes as possible since the player can't really get that kind of entertainment anywhere else.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Actually, in Car Arcanum, the quest continues.

And you can win it.

5. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I found the half-ogre quest very refreshing.
    Just because you are the hero doesn't make you a god. There should be things beyond your control.

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I don't know what's the matter with the gnome conspiracy quest, it is one of the best quests in Arcanum.

7. Langolier

Langolier Member

Hmm... yes... *looks at your avatar* I see exactly what you mean, Sir.

8. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I sometimes wonder if it was suppsoed to be either the original main story but got derailed by the Nasrudin quest. Possibly two programmers who couldn't agree on the main plot?
    Either way, it was never properly completed which is frustrating. Plus, it could have been better than the elf-gone-bad story, in my opinion.

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Maybe they left it open for a sequel.

10. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Oh fine, just open that wound again. *sniff* Sadly, we'll never know. :(

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Any second now, TONGS'll post saying he completed the quest in his hack and it's been done justice. And then we'll all look forward to that hack for another few months. Or years. What do i know?

12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

I think he's finished with Arcanum 2 and all its upgrades and is plugging away at Arcunum 3 now, but he'll never share with the rest of us.... :(

Evil Tongs, no biscuit.

13. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I blame work. They won't let me leave! They have me PCRing my fingers to the bone.
    Then when I get back to my flat with the leaky roof, dodgy heating and smelly carpets I eat and sleep. Woe is me.
    So yeah, my arcanuming time has reduced to almost nothing. It's an endless task because for every 1 thing I create, another 10 things come to mind while I am doing it. I've decided to add nothing new from now on. I'll tidy up what I have done and release it.
    As Buddah as my witness, there shall be uber hack for all!

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Wonderful ^^
    But as I've already said: The quest continues in car arcanum, and there you can win it. And you'll find out who the bad guy is, too.

15. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Yep. Thanks for ruining that for me. (Not that I'll ever play car-arcanum, but meh...)

16. Maximus

Maximus New Member

You knucklehead, thanks! :-x *pushes the bovine into a sausage grinder*

17. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I happen to love the quest despite the lack of closure.

In fact, I love it so much I've never been able to trust a gnome in any other game since first playing the quest.

Jan Jansen, you shifty character you...

18. Prodigal Me

Prodigal Me New Member

yeh i was really disappointed with the conclusion (or lack thereof) for this quest. yes, in fairness to the games writers, it was a very cliff-hanger sorta moment, but seriously! as its been said; the whole kidnapping, forced rape and racial enslavement things are very serious issues and to have them trivialised but troika wanting to play little mindgames with its audience is pretty sick.

making it a resolvable issue would really have been the more intelligent thing to do, as they then could have been acclaimed for dealing with controversial issues.

19. mathboy

mathboy New Member

20. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Yes. I distinctly remember the "Half-ogres raped ma momma" episode of Springer.

Our Host!