Hail to the Thief

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilEyesBan, Jun 8, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Radioheads CD comes out in a few days, anyone excited as I am/going to pick it up?

If not, then what the hell is your problem, and what are you currently listening to?

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Currently I'm listening to a mix of Peter Gabriel, An Evening with Johnny Mercer, and The Who's Quadrophenia.

WTF is Radiohead, and how old are you people?!

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

If you do not know what Radiohead is, I may have to hurt you. You certainly don't have to be old to listen to it. I'm 17 and I love most of their stuff.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, Radiohead have been around for about a decade now. I just thought of this comparison right now:

They're like the Pink Floyd of the mid 90's to now.

At least, influence, style and freshness wise. Not the same sort of music at all.

What am I listening to? Pink Floyd (greatest band ever) and TISM as always, as well as Turbo Negro, Queens of the Stone Age and Sigur Ros's album (). Yes, (). No album title, no song titles, blank booklet on the inside cover, 8 songs with an average of 9 minutes each and it's brilliant. If you like the experimental stuff Floyd did, you'll probably like Sigur Ros. I'll have to get their previous album, which is supposed to be even better.

5. Canis

Canis New Member

I was, on the contrary, suggesting that perhaps you'd have to be a MTV-watching teeny-bopper to have heard of them. Judging by your age, I'd say I'm right. :p

As always, I remain half convinced that Rock is dead.

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I don't get MTV, my parents mutter something about it being a bad influence. I certainly didn't find out about Radiohead from MTV, one of my friends played some for me when I was a freshman in high school and I've liked the stuff ever since.

7. gamenut

gamenut New Member

MTV a bad influence? is this by the same people that said games were a bad influence?

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Yes, it's from my parents.

9. gamenut

gamenut New Member

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

You have no idea how evil.

11. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Man, Radiohead hasn't had music on MTV since like the early 90's back when MTV actually played music. That said I'm a big alternative music fan, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stoneage...etc. You can't really blame me, It's what I grew up on. I'd probably listen to anything from that time period except Nirvana, ugh.

Just for the sake of it, Jar. You should check out Radiohead's Cover of 'Wish you were Here' if you enjoy Radiohead or Pink Floyd at all.

12. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

Have a look at this website if you want some infomation about them and there songs.
    http://www.radiohead.co.uk/

13. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I was looking forward to the new Metallica album, hopeful that the band had purged all the bullshit from their system. Sadly, this is not the case. The local radio played the album in it's entirety on the release date last week, every song sucked platypus cock. Do yourself a favor and avoid this "album" at all cost. What a total fucking disappointment, those guys need to give it up before they turn into the next Kiss

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Being a somewhat of a purist when it comes to Pink Floyd, I refuse to listen to any covers of their work. Ditto Queen, but that's more because all the covers have been horrible, not because the music is as high quality as Floyd's.

15. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Wow.

I, too, am a purist. Pink Floyd and Queen should not and cannot be replicated.

I was listening to a Pink Floyd cover once, thinking "WHAT IN THE BLAZES?!" when I heard the words "Which one's Pink?"

I picked up my radio, thinking I would set the thing on fire or blow it up. Then I calmed down, switched it off, and never listened to the radio again.

Now I listen to tapes and CDs on my stereo. The bonus of not hearing any blasphemous covers by not listening to the radio is that I also don't hear any commercials.

I mute the commercials on TV, never looking at them on the screen for more than the time it takes me to see whether it's the commercial or the show I was watching. I also don't watch movies that have been edited for content. I watch all of my DVDs in widescreen. I never open junk email. (They all call me by my internet form name, Axel, so I know it's not one of my friends or coworkers actually contacting me about that memo).
    I disable Java and javascript on my browser so I don't have to see popups. And when I need to use javascript or java, I load a program which automatically closes popups. (And my cookie list is shorter than a skinhead's hair)

I've said before that my defining characteristic is my willpower. Sure, I'm intelligent, and beautiful, and I've got charisma (when I need it); I've got all the stats. But just try to break my will, just once, and you'll burst into flames.

I do look at some ads. Printed ones, in magazines. I like photography. I don't read the text, though.

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Veering ever more off-topic....

I recently listened to a cover of Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" by Ozzy Osbourne and some band that may or may not have been called Coal Chamber. I'm still recovering from the horror of it all.

There are some very good covers out there, but most of them are an insult to the original artist.

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

To continue in Off-Topicness:
    Most covers are just embarrassing to everyone involved. Especially when people try to cover The Beatles, it just can't be done properly. People try and try, but they never really get it right.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

What can be surprisingly good are the punk/ska covers of songs from movies, and assorted theme songs. Example, some band did a cover of "Favourite Things" or whatever it's called, that one from The Sound of Music. Nice song.

Going back somewhat on topic, looking through the inside booklet of Turbonegro's album Scandinavian Leather, I'm struck by one thought - Droogs in Denim. First of all, it's all these guys wear, and second, they're weird enough to give me the impression - from just still shots may I remind you - of the Droogs.

If you've seen A Clockwork Orange, that's what I'm referring to, if there happens to be another possible reference of droogs.

19. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies do all the songs off of old movies and shit. They get a little old after awhile though.

Anyway, I picked up Hail to The Thief today and all I have to say is A-Fucking-mazing. Do yourself a favor and get it if you're at all interested in Radiohead or living to see tomorrow, because if you don't I'll hunt you down and murder you.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

While we're discussing good, underappreciated music, all of you should go listen to some godspeed you black emperor. It's from a little known group that plays really good, weird stuff.

Our Host!