Greatest Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Icairus, Jan 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Kung Fu Hustle is quite possibly the greatest movie ever made.
    If it somehow manages to ever arrive at a screen near you, watch it, even if you have to punt your own children into a brick wall to do so.
    Also, don't watch the House of Flying daggers, although it's well directed, the plot kinda sucks.
    Also, Phil the Alien is highly worth seeing.
    Also, Park City is not a place I advise going. It sucks.

2. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

Full metal jacket is pretty cool.
    But definately dodgeball for comedy's.
    THe most touching movies I've seen are "The Bicentenial Man" and "What Dreams May Come" Both robyn williams movies...

3. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

While FMJ is pretty fucking funny at the start it doesn't go that much further IMO.
    In my opinion, Pulp Fiction or maybe Clockwork Orange has the best script ever in an American made movie, but most European movies are heaps better than the shit turned out by Hollywood today.

"...and I will strick out with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers!"

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Dogma.
    Ferris Bueller's day off.
    Bill & Ted's bogus journey.
    Kung Pow.
    Spiderman.*

*Ok, not so much as the whole movie just the part where Aunt May is in hospital and you see her nipple as she goes nut's on the bed.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Come on guys... Donnie Darko? Donnie Darko has to be the best movie ever produced by America's film industry. I've never met a person who didn't love it.

The Dark Backwards is also an excellent movie, but no one has seen it...

I don't think Pulp fiction or A Clockwork Orange are the best scripts turned out by america, thats a load of bullshit in my opinion. If you want to talk about the most blatantly, unapologetically sadistic movies produced by america, then perhaps you're right. I think Pulp FIction is an excellent movie, and I think A Clockwork Orange definitly has something to say, but the overall moral of the stories in each is pretty depressing in my opinion. Best directed movies? Yes they are two of the best directed american movies, but best scripts? I have to disagree. Why? Because Pulp Fiction is exactly what it says it is, stereotypical, meaningless pulp, and because A Clockwork Orange is based on a book by an english author so how the fuck can it be one of the best american scripts?

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

what's wrong with depressing morals?

Napoleon Dynamite is fucking hysterical, in the way that it doesn't even attempt to have a plot, and every other line in it is so ridiculously deadpanned I ended up on the floor more than in my chair.

The Breakfast Club, another classic, Risky Business doesn't really belong in the same sentence as it, but what the hell, it wasn't bad either. Plus you get to see Rebecca Demornay naked back when she was fucking slammin.

I think Enemy of the State and A Few Good Men were two good newer movies with decent plots and scripts. Not sure what I think is the best American script though, there are so many.

7. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

By best script I meant most 'realistic' in the context of the movie. I realise Clockwork Orange is in an imagined 60s. The plot of either is not pariticularly inspired but I think the script is pretty niffty.

Overall morals are not an important part of a movie at all.

Donnie Darko, while I like it, it is akin to a chick flick. It is had no defined message apart from someone's personal (and rather insane) pain and no overall applicable moral message. Donnie Darko sells ambiguity and I think its a good change to most movies. The sheer meaninglessness of the plot makes it hard to understand. Nothing is explained, the over all message is 'Your sacrifice won't be remembered by anyone'.

Most movies are unapologetically something why not try to represent a period of time realistically like Pulp Fiction.

8. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

We all know that the only Austalian movie ever made was Mad Max, so that's obviously the best Aussie flick.

As for the best American I can't say. Surf Nazis Must Die is probally the worst. Street Trash is one of my favorite. Never again will a movie have a 10 minute penis football scene.

And no I wasn't dead, just frozen in carbonite. :lol:

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Justafishinajar, WRONG, the best Aussie movie ever made was the Roadwarrior...

Anyway, I wouldnt say Pulp Fiction realistically represents any period of time. Thats total bullshit, its called Pulp Fiction because its a meaningless fictional exageration as cheap as the paper it would have been printed on if it had been a supermarket paperback.

[qupte]By best script I meant most 'realistic' in the context of the movie.[/quote]
    Its still not american in any way. Stanley Kubrick was American yes, but the writer, actors, adaptation, was all absolutely english.

Speaking of Kubrick, I'd have to say that 2 of my absolute favorite movies of all time would be 2001:A Space Odyssey, and Dr. Strangelove. Two AMAZING movies you have no excuse for not seeing.

I also love the entire Planet of the Apes series of films (except the marky mark fiasco remake bullshit), all the Alien movies, and of course the original star wars episodes.

Lets not forget Conan the Barbarian, and Conan the Destroyer though... Has anyone ever seen Krull? Thats another great movie... Jesus, it seems like all good fantasy and sci-fi movies were made in the 70's and 80's.

I thought I really liked the Lord of the rings, until I saw the Two Towers and the Return of the King... I think the Earth Sea novels were better books than the Lord of the Rings anyway. Urula LeGuinn is my favorite author next to Kurt Vonnegut...

<ramble ramble ramble>

10. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Earth Sea has a much better plot, but it can't hold anything resembling a candle to the adventure in LotR. LotR is a stereotypical weak good guys versus giant bad guy. It's not very surprising that it's stereotypical, it damn near started the stereotype. But the sheer intensity of the adventure, the vividness of Middle Earth, and the undeniable Britishness of Tolkien's long rants and raves, that's where it's at.

12. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Can't you see LotR represents the struggles of every working class citizen of the world? Saroun represents opression and...CAPITALISM and the one ring represents our greed for money and the free peoples UNITE and destroy capitalism forever!

Oh and hobbits represent innocent little boys...

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

road warrior was definitely better than mad max, but damned if i didn't love goose from the first one... not to mention the rather nifty form of revenge max had on his killer. yes, it's common now, but when the movie came out... damn. and again, i have to agree with sleek, earthsea is soooooooooo much better than LoTR. granted, LoTR were awesome books, they created the genre, blahdy blahdy. but earthsea is just such an incredible storyline... completely breaks all expectations of what fantasy novels should be. dammit, sleek, how come every time i'm convinced i hate you, you say a bunch of crap i totally agree with? jerk...

14. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

The Dispossessed is a better book than the Bible.

16. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

17. Kya

Kya New Member

18. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Oh goody, somebody new to play with. now I just need to figure out what that post meant.....

19. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

That's lil' doggy's sig. Although slightly different.
    No idea what it means and I'm too lazy to find out. Pissoff.

20. mathboy

mathboy New Member

that is my tail?

It sounds like it at least.

Our Host!