"Goldmember" Movie review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Jul 30, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Settler

Settler Member

Ah, we give Kiwis so much crap...

...we really should stop...

...it's kind of demeaning...

Nah. Keep Going.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I think I dropped a classic clanger a couple of weeks ago. I was a new pretzel place in Victoria train station, and the nice guy behind the counter was chatting along with us and being good with my nephew, so I said something like "He's from Australia, Micah." From the awkward pause and look in his eyes, I think the guy must have been a Kiwi.

3. Settler

Settler Member

I'l say it again - I never tire of Kiwi-bashing.

It's happened to me too, Sheriff (as in being called a Kiwi). The worst thing is, however, people asking you to talk 'in Australian'. You say something, they say, "You know, real Australian" and insist I say something with a stupid accent. Grrr.[/i]

4. Milo

Milo New Member

They probably want you to say, "Beeeeeeeeee Yah!" or do that "AussieAussieAussie OI OI OI" thing.

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That would be quite embarassing. Yes, he most likely was a Kiwi...although, I must say, I think it's pretty rude to talk about someone when they're right there as though they weren't. Granted, that probably isn't the whole conversation you had above, but it's really bad when you also get the person's country of origin wrong :).

Just pull a line from South Park: "I've got a better idea. How about you go and fuck yourself?" Of course, only use that if you're feeling nasty.

6. Milo

Milo New Member

I can't tell the difference between the New Zealanders and Australians. Or rather, I can't tell the difference between the accents. Gotta be careful there; I wasn't aware that being a Kiwi was so bad until I read this thread.

The South African accent on the other hand, I have no trouble with identifying. There's something distinctive about it that I can't quite put my finger on.

I was just kidding about the Aussie accent, BTW. Ever since Gordon Elliot invaded our airwaves, I've wanted to drive nails into my eardrums rather than hear his accent. Hearing Mel Gibson or Nicole Kidman in an interview doesn't bug me though.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

8. Milo

Milo New Member

A Gordon Elliot is A Robin Leach, only more. And Australian. I'll try to dig up a picture or a link or something. Maybe you'll recognize him. I figured that he'd be pretty big in Australia if he made it all the way over here.

Over here, he had a daytime talk show for awhile. Now he's on the TV Food Network.

9. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

[corny]
    New Zealanders has wool stuck in their zippers :lol:
    [/corny]

Couldn't help it. One question though, does many Australians sound like Steve Irwin, that insane nature guy? I've only seen his tv shows for the first time recently, and his talking often sent shivers down my spine. (uhhh, to avoid misunderstandings, i ment shivers in a bad way)

For a little bit on topic, i'm gonna watch goldmember shortly.

10. Settler

Settler Member

Good idea. I'll try it next time :).

11. Settler

Settler Member

That's alright, keep them coming!
    This is pretty much what I've been trying to get through. No, I haven't heard anyone talk that badly *shudders*. Even people in outback towns, that everyone says talk like that, they don't. Well, not as bad.

Time to whip out my Warbringer for some Irwin-bashing... :x :)

12. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

Heh, he leaves a really bad impression on the rest of the world with his funny talk. I've talked to quite a few people who thinks that's how the common Australian-English accent is. In their defense, they don't know better, but it's still a little sad.

13. Settler

Settler Member

I didn't mind the Crocodile Dundee movies - I thought they were funny, and, for the first time, an Australian accent actually added to a movie. But Steve Irwin...

What makes it even worse is the fact that he looks like a surfie :( .

14. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I just saw it. I'd rate it about the same as the other two (very, very funny). Dr Evil still made me laugh the most.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

No...please no! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*Fanfare*

"CRIIIIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!"

Steve Irwin was publicly defended by the Premier of our state for supposedly giving Australia a bad reputation, or a bad impression. Something like that. Privately, he just pisses everyone off with his bouncing-round-the-wild enthusiasm and...fuck me it's ANNOYING! No one talks like that, except maybe some country people, but they don't *talk* like that.

I mean, the guy gets excited about shit on the ground!

"Wow, can you smell that?" *Scoops his fingers through it and brings it to his nose* "That's nice and stinky. It's also warm and soft, so we know it's fresh. He must be around here somewhere!"

That's great detective work there Steve. Just make sure to wash your hands...or wipe them on your clothes. As you do.

16. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

:lol:

And he's married?!? I'm surprised there's a female creature that'd let him stick it in her.

"Wow, look at that beeeauuutiful body. Wow, have a look at this. Wow."

He gets more pleasure out of watching a lizard lay it's eggs.

17. Milo

Milo New Member

I must be the only guy on this board who likes Steve Irwin, THE HCROCKHODOIYLE HAHNTAH.

He's funny. He's really into his job, and comes off as sincere. He's just a huge dork. So what if he's a horrible charicature of an entire nation of people? Deal with it. We have a horrible charicature as a President and we still manage to fight evil and preserve honesty, truth, and freedom the whole world over.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, going back up the thread a little here...

I still have NO idea who Gordon Elliot is. Or Robin Leach. I don't think anyone here has even heard of him before. Isn't the "American Dream" being able to make it big in America without being anything beforehand? If so, this guy seems to have fulfilled it.

On a little side note, George Lazenby (one of the guys who played 007) conned the director into getting the role. The first time he was Bond was the first time he had had a role of any consequence in a movie, if he had even acted before. He told the director he was the biggest actor in Australia, which was how he got the role. I reckon that English prankster who got his picture taken with Manchester United at a big match in Germany has nothing on ole George - he several movies as 007 under his belt :D. The fact that he was the worst guy to take up the role is inconsequential :).

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i like steve irwin. and the chick he's married to is actually perfect for him. they both live at that zoo thingie they work at, and she wrestles crocs, too. and they just had a baby, named Bindy Sue.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You've got to be shitting me. Bindy Sue? They'd better never bring her here...I don't know about the US, but here bindies are annoyling little things that live on the ground and hurt when you step on them - the tinier, greener, plant version of stonefish if you will. You know, those fish that are all spiny and spikey and camouflage themselves in the sand at the beach and when you step on them you get blood poisoning or some shit like that. You don't?

Anyway, bindies are nasty little fuckers, so they really must hate their kid to name her after them.

Our Host!