Geoffrey's Gem, uses?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Charonte, Jul 19, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Charonte

Charonte Member

First time I've played Arcanum for ages, so this time I figured I'd take Geoffrey down into the Ashbury crypt for once, Virgil got a little upset but anyway...

Anyway we got to the gem and after saying I just wanted to look at the thing the arrogant bastard attacked my character, casting his first spell -ever- and dying moments later.

Except, well, I don't really see the point. My game crashed after that but as far as I can tell the gem doesn't do a damn thing. No stat increase, no new spells... My MA is already at 100 so it might be that...

Still, can someone confirm this? I've already decided to kill the ignorant twat for being so useless, but I'd like to know.

Hmm, might be a little short of followers this round. Vollinger's dead just for being short. Magnus was mouthing, Dante is just an idiot, and I've yet to murder Shrouded Hills (Sogg) and grenade Bates' mansion (Chukka). I'm not sure I can be bothered resurrecting Virgil either...

Thanks though

Oh, and is Geoffrey's summon undead spell bugged or something? He's level 13, but I remember from 10-15 having a skeleton instead of that zombie/mummy cross which was levels 5-10... I'm using the latest A:Wip if that helps.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

You know, I don't think I ever found a use for that gem either. Hrm.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Gem's internal description says that it was supposed to cast Create Undead, however this isn't actually implemented in the game, for whatever reason. However, if it was originally supposed to work like Whysper's gem, then it would disappear after use, and you wouldn't be able to complete the quest if you accidentally used the Gem, so maybe that's why they decided to not include this feature in the end.

The spell summons a monster based on the caster's MA.

4. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Just out of curiosity on a related subject, Drog, how does Whysper's Gem actually work? Such gems as that and the Mysterious Gem always end up being kept for a 'rainy day' which never seems to happen, so I never use them.

Do they work the same, regardless of aptitude?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, they do work regardless of aptitude.

6. Minuos

Minuos New Member

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It has the exact uses as Magnus' bracelet. RPG values. The quest to give it to Geoffrey doesn't count as evil, but just think, is giving a necromancy amplifying gem to a necromancer a good or neutral thing? Not really, so an insanely good character would instead not give it to him and keep it. It's worth quite some coin so you in theory could sell it, but then again, knowing how the gem worked in the graveyard, you would not want the shop keeper to have zombies appear in his city, would you? Even if it wouldn't work like that, sooner or later it could end in a necromancer's hands. If I play insanely good, I keep the gem through the whole game, hoping that me not being in no place for too long will prevent the magic of the gem to cause harm and, when I get there, throw it in the Bangellian fireplace thingy to finally destroy it.

Our Host!