General Mod gripes

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by TairNean, Feb 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TairNean

TairNean New Member

For anyone who might've been following my thread in Mod support, I figured this fit better over here.

Well, I *finally* managed to download the mod-pack from file planet. Took me nearly a week of checking at random times of day to find a bearable wait time, but I got it. (Did I mention I *hate* fileplanet?)

And I couldn't be more disappointed.

The mods are only available from the multiplayer menu, you can't save a game(although you can save your character...upon exiting the game)

They don't seem overly playable with a single player, there's no export/import character function that I can find. You have to either take one of the pre-mades, or create a new one. In which case, your new level one character is likely to get stomped. You have no choice (Unless I missed something) of real-time or turn-based.

This is a pet peeve of mine with many games. They release an expansion type thing, but it's only a multi-player expansion. It's getting to the point where games are designed more for multi-play than single player. What about the people like me who despise online gaming? There's too many people out there who are just there for the sake of spoiling other people's enjoyment. I'm sorry, pay money for a game, then have to pay additional charges for a service to actually play the game.. Pay a monthly fee to be annoyed by the idiot gamers? No thanks.

2. Zorque

Zorque New Member

I believe you need to press x during the character editor screen in single player mode.

3. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Ok, So I got the modules to work under single player. A rather silly oversight on my part, caused me to miss the module selector in the option menu. In my defense, the only time I've looked at the option screen is during a game, when that slot doesn't exist.

However, it seems most of my post still stands. Dusty Dunes, at least, just simply isn't designed for either single player, or low level characters. Although I did manage to export my Arcanum single player character, it's only exported into the multi-player menu. Again, unless I missed something, there seems no way to export a character into the single player menu.

There's no way to ID magick items, short of spell or scroll. The creatures in the VERY beginning of the adventure, are too powerful for a beginning character. I've gotten to the exact same point, killed by the exact same creature no less than 5 times. Seems the only way to get through it with a single player is to dig out ye olde character editor and cheat my ass off. Which I'd really rather not do. Provided, of course, I can find the right save slot for that character.

I tried Buried Secrets as well, but couldn't get past the cemetary guard. Again, not designed for single or beginning characters. It is rather difficult for a 1st level character to take on a 5th level character. I realize that combat is rarely the only solution, but with only 5 character points to start with...well I think it was this site that said forget about well-rounded characters, it just doesn't work. And that rings very true. Not without a character editor.

The Killer Inside, I haven't tried it yet, but the readme made it sound kinda silly.

Now if only I could figure out how to make my own modules. I tried the editor but much of it seemed beyond my grasp, being as I'm not a coder. Of course, I haven't really messed with it enough to say for sure. Then again, where's the fun in playing a module that you yourself wrote.. As random as the ARcanum universe is, I think the maker of the module would have a distinctly unfair advantages.

4. Zorque

Zorque New Member

Try the back way

5. TairNean

TairNean New Member

There's a back way? I've been all around that thing and found no other entrance...Hmmm..

6. Zorque

Zorque New Member

Have you seen the steps gaurded by the wolves?

Our Host!