Fortifier

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Matheias, Oct 9, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Matheias

Matheias New Member

What does this thing do?

I can't notice any effect when using it but when it runs out it drains my health and fatigue.

2. Arkain

Arkain New Member

As far as I remember it raises your damage resistance by about 30%. Took me a while to figure it out as well.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

30% indeed. It also acts as a technological equivalent of the Fatigue Slower, meaning it halves fatigue consumption.

What it's most effective at, though, is making your followers hate you after you use it on them and the effect wears off. Either an oversight or a cruel joke on the authors' side.

4. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The fatigue limiter is the fourth degree is herbology, Muro.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The Fatigue Limiter halves fatigue consumption, but so does the Fortifier.

6. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

But it is the 'technological equivalent' of none, as they are both produced using technology!

7. Sorg

Sorg Member

There is a magic potion that does it as well. Pretty OP on a harm spamming mage!

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, the Fatigue Slower I previously mentioned is a magical potion, while the Fatigue Limiter and the Fortifier are its technological equivalents when it comes to halving fatigue consumption.

9. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Strange, I recall no fatigue slower... I'll look around for it, I'm currently doing a playthrough! :3

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Together with arcane staffs, fatigue potions and Morgana's tears fatigue slowers are the bread and butter of mages. What God-forsaken rock have you been living under?

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I never use Morgana's Tears myself. Costing four times as much as a Greater Fatigue Restore while regaining less than twice as much fatigue points? Thanks, I'll stick with the checked blue bottles. I'm quite curious who or what this Morgana person/creature/being might be, though. Same goes for Kalispi.

12. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I've never taken my mages seriously, I've mostly done pure melee/dodge builds in the past. Although the first time I finished the game I did it with harm spamming.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I buy them 1) to show the world how incredibly rich and decadent I am 2) because the animation when quaffing them looks classy.

Also, they're pink. Respect.

14. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Mechanically speaking that's what they are.

16. shambelle

shambelle New Member

Well, you could also use several fortifiers to kill someone/something without alignment hit (f.e. the pigs in Ashbury) like the super stimpack in Fallout.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I thought the very same thing when I was working with the Fortifier, but testing proved that it wouldn't work. The moment the second Fortifier is applied, an NPC receives instant damage and becomes hostile. Plus, if someone dies in result of the side effect of the Fortifier, your alignment, Log Book and followers all detect that it is you who is responsible for it.

18. shambelle

shambelle New Member

It could still be used to kill ore golems and the like without weapons, spells and so and so.

And what about planting these on possible targets ?
    Will the npc use these ?

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

An most intriguing idea.

I just did some quick testing. It took 8 fortifiers to kill a Fire Elemental. It is up to the technologist to decide whether this use of the Fortifier makes it a weapon worth developing, carrying and using.

I'm not sure whether the AI has a tendency to use buffs in combat or not, but even if, the Fortifier takes so long to wear off and deal damage that planting it on someone and waiting for it to do any harm would be even less effective than waiting for a significant result of poisoning enemies.

20. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Follower AI item usage depends on the number of available usable items (potions, spells, etc) and the level/toughness of enemies.
    When I attacked Stringy Pete with 5/6 wizards with an inventory full of spells and potions, they never stopped spamming them.
    I believe they don't start using them without combat, only healing stuff. So planting on plain NPCs without combat won't work, only with hexed items they can equip.
    You might try to attack someone else (e.g. dominated zombie), perhaps they shall start using them while fleeing?

Our Host!