forgotten spells???

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by moonlight, Jan 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

All you're likely to get in response a remark about how his girl has a burning sensation when she pees and some ironic banter about faggotry.

You are, however, more than welcome to.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

What's there to explain? Muro already explained it rather well.

Basically, there's a script that constantly supplies Kerghan with those scrolls. And actually this way of casting is not unique to him. The Medical Arachnid also has a special, "technological" scroll constantly spawning in its inventory. The Clockwork Physician restored in the UAP also works the same way.

Speaking of the spells unique to monsters. Do you guys remember the Yeti and its freeze spell?

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Please excuse my ignorance, O Drog, but what's a clockwork physician? A medical-arachnid-automaton perhaps? That would be cool!

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Cool!! I love those little bouncing decoys. The illuminated- one sounds great too.

Definitely getting the complete set on my next playthrough. Thanks.

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

I was asking if they can be Added to the game or not?

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Why would you want to use them? They're analogues of already existing spells, just with Kerghan specific animations and sound effects.

By the by, I remember programming a fully working regenerative shell spell several years ago, as a replacement for White Necromancy's Sanctuary. That was pretty awesome, although terribly overpowered. Also, since Kerghan is immensely tall, the GFX don't look quite right with normal humanoids.

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

Such spell could be a nice addition to the original spell set, do you still have it? Also, have you tried to set sprite scaling variable for the shell effect?

9. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

No, I don't have it anymore. It's easy to reproduce though. It basically needs to immobilize the caster and make him invulnerable until all the hit points have been replenished. Just a couple of flags.

As for the sprite scaling, Arcanum uses nearest neighbor scaling which is really ugly. Ideally, one would need to make a separate set of animations, by resizing the sprites in a graphics editor.

10. Crypton

Crypton Member

Or the one could also replace the original scaling procedure, with his own version, which would use some fancy image rescaling filter. So all those tiny spiders can now also look smooth and awesome...

Btw, I always thought that Arcanum uses IDirectDrawSurface7::Blt method for scaled sprite blitting, and DirectDraw should do the scaling with linear interpolation, because the nearest neighbor filter is supposed to be used only in hardware emulation mode.

Well, that sucks... :/

Edit: Or, one could also use my DirectDraw emulator, which does such scaling operations using linear interpolation filter. :)

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't have any theory that I wouldn't frown at, truth be said.

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

It would be fun to use these scrolls, besides I remember reading a post of yours telling that you have considerd once adding the regenerative shell spell to arronax, and I would love having it.

13. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

OK, here's the Regenerative Shell DLC, only $4.99.

It's in Necromantic White, 4th spell. The useless Sanctuary is now gone.

It's the exact replica of Kerghan's spell (which is cast on him by script). It paralyzes the caster and makes him/her invulnerable (although it's a special invulnerable flag, it is ignored by weapons with the "uber" flag, i.e. Kryggird's Falchion). It restores 7 hit points per second.

I wasn't sure about the cast/maintain cost, so I set it to 50 to cast and 1/second to maintain (the maintain cost has to be per second for the healing to work correctly).

Don't try to cast it with full health, it will cancel out immediately. Oh, and I've also set AI flags, they will try to cast this as a "heavy healing" type spell.

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

Works and looks awesome, thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Very nice! Given Crypton's screenshots, I don't think there's a problem with the size of the spell sprite either even with small races; as it's more or less a protective bubble it seems fine that it would only come in one size to me. I don't think the spell is too over-powered, seeing as it's not particularly hard in the game to keep your health up through other means so an expensive invincibility style healing spell which is limited by the amount of fatigue you have anyway is no big deal. Really a medicinal arachnid does no different.

As I said before, very nice!

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

All it does in my game is change the spell's name, description and eyecandy. Other than that it's the same old Sanctuary, cast on any NPC, not paralyzing the target, 15 (5/10 seconds) fatigue drain, protection from undead, no health regain, no invulnerability.

But ignoring that for the moment...

[​IMG] I suppose you've never heard of a regenerative shield, eh? I'm not surprised, only the most powerful mages can conjure one up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] BITCH PLEASE

[​IMG]

17. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

You probably have some other mod that overrides the spell list. Try changing the file name to something like zzz.dat. Failing that, check if you have SpellList.mes in data\rules.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Flawless diagnosis, Drog. It slipped my mind that I had a modified SpellList.mes in the data folder. It all works just like you described without it.

While I think that keeping Nasrudin's words in mind the spell shouldn't be easily available to just any more advanced white necromancer, it might be a nice little thing to give a 100 MA mage right after receiving Velorien's blessing, telling oneself that the divine spark within the Living One increased his magickal power to the point when it counters present Arcanum's magick-weakening technological background and opens him to the forgotten ancient magicks.

19. moonlight

moonlight Member

Yes, would you please add kerghan's spells ? but just like scroll, also could you add the shell spell to arronax ?

Also Muro remember when that mage vencent took the demon to his own body ? I wonder wether this is a form of magic ? what do you think about its college?

20. moonlight

moonlight Member

Yes, I think Muro is right here . What do you think Drog?

Our Host!