forgotten spells???

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by moonlight, Jan 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. moonlight

moonlight Member

Now I certainly know there 5 spells in every magic college , BUT in tulla there seems some resources that contradict this! they mention spell names not included in the game, so what do you guys think about these spells , any ideas about them? has anyone found other sources mentioninig them?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That Tullan book about the history and nature of magick mentioning mass resurrection and eternal flame is the only source about the lost spells. The eight spell theory is one of the elements placed in the game to show the player that the talk about magick becoming weaker isn't hogwash.

I like to think of it as a good way to explain spells which clearly exist(ed) in the game world but are inaccessible to the player, such as banishment, regenerative shield, dragon transformation, Kerghan's spells or that glowy green prison thingy.

3. moonlight

moonlight Member

yes , the same source mentions that he discovered something greater I wonder what it is, btw muro your knowledge of every detail in the game is amazing :)

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

"the most amazing discovery is that" - [the rest of the text seems to be missing.]

O Muro, what do you know of the missing text?

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I did my research on the subject at one time, as a matter of fact.

As it would appear, the most amazing discovery is that

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Am I a terrible person for thinking "Mass Resurrection" would have something to do with giving somebody cancer again after they've gone into remission?

7. moonlight

moonlight Member

remember when Arronax used his big spell to blow Vendigroth? i wonder what college could hold a spell of such power?

8. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I vote for that he banished it to a different plane of existence similar to the void, which would explain why when he returns with his greater knowledge of such places he manages to unbanish it back on top of its old ruins with all its merry little people. So whatever college is responsible for banishment would be your answer, I don't know how else he could wipe somewhere from the face of the planet and then be able to reverse the process.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

He destroyed it with the 8th spell from the force college and restored it with the 8th spell from the bullshit college.

11. Gildorn

Gildorn Member

Why? We could calmly say that the system of using magic in the game by the player, is tremendously limited when compared to the reality in which the game takes place.
    e.g. Notice the enchanted items - that have the ability to cast some spells. Can you, as a player enchant the items? Well, I didn't find out whether this is possible. Cyrus in Stillwater, for example, is known for enchanting the blades Richard Leeks forges.

Same with the banishment or regenerative magical shell. As I would loosely quote Nasrudin, 'extremely powerful mages are able to conserve their earthly shells into the magical regenerative shell...'.
    Banishment? Two characters in the game are capable of it - either Nasrudin or K'an Hua. I wonder whether some extended possibilities could be made for Arcanum, but these would probably need to make changes into the source program file.
    For example, when the player becomes an extremely powerful mage, meet some specific requirements for it, there could be an option to choose "learn banishment spell", or "learn magic regenerative shell" or these would be given to the player gratis for the requirements met.

Let's say that Arronax could make new spells of force and fire magic, combine them into one and multiply the range, area of effect, damage to make it fit the circular range of the whole Vendigrothian province.

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

He is described as calling upon forces 'few of us had ever seen before', by Nasrudin. He was probably just a freak.

Then again,
    8th level Force maybe = Thermonuclear Explosion or Antimatter Conversion. ["Arronax's Untimely Tantrum"]

then

8th level Temporal maybe = Reverse Time [Arronax's Bullshit Reversal"].

Problem solved.

13. moonlight

moonlight Member

there is also this lost symbol of magick in tulla, could it possibly refer to these spells? what do you think?

14. moonlight

moonlight Member

I found that even the master mage tulla doesnt know about it

15. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

I've always felt like the ability to banish somebody would have been greatly beneficial to my delusions. What could be more fun than transporting your enemies to an inescapable arena in which they will likely be forced to fight one another to survive?

16. Third ankle

Third ankle New Member

Yes, it's a teenage dream. But what if they had fun together? I find it ridiculous that the banished in Arcanum didn't get to know each other better, maybe become friends. I mean, what is there to do on your own? And it's not that they're so hostile to each other - persuading them to join the group is rather easy.

17. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Don't you sully my memories of Arcanum. For gratification the banished beat off in their separate corners of the void with sullen anger in their hearts like real men would!

18. moonlight

moonlight Member

what college could have a regenerative shell as a spell or that green shell prison, I think some spells cant be performed exept by the most powerful mages.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'd say either Nature (seeing how it already has a Regenerate spell) or White Necromancy (since it generally deals with positively affecting life forces of a creature).

That sounds like a Force spell to me. It is functionally an impenetrable Wall of Force tightly wrapped around a single target.

20. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

That green shield thing is from another dimension, it belongs to that ghost snake creature. Pickpocket the medallion from one of the guards and it will speak to you.

Our Host!