Extra Animations Pack (for UAP091225)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Drog Alt, Oct 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

This is the fixed version of the beta animations pack originally released by Crypton. Big thanks goes to Crypton, none of this would be possible without him.

The animations come from the semi-public beta version of Arcanum (Beta Version 27 (10-9-00)), which has resurfaced recently. They were cut from the game not long after the beta test, most probably for space reasons. A few art sets that were made very late in the development (e.g. the plate armor set for half-ogres and the lizard people set) don't receive any new animations.

What does this pack include:

Two new animations are added for every race/gender combo and most monsters:
    - Low attack for every weapon/shield combo (only unarmed and bow had low attacks in the final game, monsters had no low attacks at all)
    - Walking with shield/weapon visible

The following critters receive NO new animations:
    - Half-Ogre (Plate Armor)
    - Fire Elemental (the animations exist, but are not included because they're poorly rendered)
    - Air Elemental
    - Lizard Man (Both Sets)
    - Various animals
    - Final Boss

How is this different from Crypton's original release:

- Replaced the early robe palettes with the final ones. Characters no longer flash colors.
    - The full beta Phantom Knight set is included, but the palettes are rearranged to match the final ones.
    - Fixed the problem with the hgx (plate armor for half-ogres) art set. The extra animations do not exist for this set, but the game now expects them since the other armor sets for half-ogres have them. This results in the half-ogre character either disappearing or freezing. Placeholders (dupes of old animations) are now added to prevent this.
    - Beta Fire Elementals are NOT included, because they look significantly worse than the final ones.
    - Unofficial Arcanum Patch v091225 required, mostly for compatibility reasons.

Installation:

Simply run the installer and click all the "next" buttons. Should be retard proof enough.

I couldn't be bothered writing a custom binary patcher or finding an NSIS function that does it, so I made this only compatible with the UAP091225. Nobody would want to use this with the vanilla, anyway, what with the sprite mirroring and all.

The installer with replace your Arcanum.exe and create 3 .dat files:
    ArcanumXAnimations1.dat - all new animations
    ArcanumXAnimations2.dat - hgx set fix, dupes of old animations, e.g. when the game queries the non-existing low sword attack, the old normal sword attack will be played instead, just like before.
    ArcanumXAnimations3.dat - this will be installed only if you're using the UAP Extra Content pack, this has the extra blacksmith animations with the new palettes included in the Extra Content pack.

Why are the .dat files build on fly? Because the .dat files compess awfully, and this trick allows me to cut the download size in half. The whole installer takes less than 70MB.

Download:

(Updated Nov 7th, 2011)
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

More mirrors are welcomed.

2. Crypton

Crypton Member

3. Sorg

Sorg Member

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Neat. Big thanks go to both Crypton and Drog.

I'm now enjoying the additional animations from Drog's pack and the extended ambient sounds from Crypton's beta content restoration pack.

I was just about to make a separate download of just ArcanumBeta2.dat (the dat containing beta ambient sounds) from Crypton's pack so that people could enjoy the same combo I have, but I figured Crypton should have the pleasure of uploading.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Thanks Drog and Crypton, much obliged.

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

question

When i run the installer it says arcanum installation was not found, what does that mean?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It means you have not chosen a correct install location. The destination folder should be identical to your game folder.

On a side note, I would suggest changing your signature to a less spoilerous one.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I've told Darkfool to upload it, will probably make a news post once it's in the database.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I don't have permission. You have to do it. :lol:

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I thought you were my buttboy!

I'll do it first thing in the morning then.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I can't edit anything. I can only copy them for the sake of backups.

12. Jojobobo

I saw Virgil walking with his staff out earlier; I was more than a bit aroused.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Noticed some errors with animations of undead knights in your pack, Drog.
    • White undead knights (e.g. Undead Champions) change to red during low attacks.

The Cursed Paladin uses green axe-wielding animations for combat stances and high/low attacks but red animations for peacefully standing and walking around.

Blue undead knights seem to work all right.
    From what I can tell, Crypton avoided errors in his Beta Content Restoration Pack by changing all white knights into red ones and making all of the Cursed Paladin's animations green.

14. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Fixed the Phantom Knights palettes. Please download the pack again.

Turns out, the Phantom Knights were re-rendered for the final version, so simply swapping the palettes didn't work. The new release has the full animation set from the beta, but I re-arranged the palettes so they match up with the final ones, i.e. the Cursed Paladin is still red (but the almost black and white high contrast green is now actually green). The original set seems to be in a slightly better quality, BTW.

I double checked all the other monster animations, there should be no more issues of any kind.

15. moonlight

moonlight Member

thanks! are the other links updated too?

16. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

There was a minor oversight in the installer instructions. Re-download from the first post. (Or don't if you can't be bothered, this probably doesn't affect anything.)

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well - I, for one, can be bothered, and do appreciate the update, Drog.

18. Jojobobo

Has anyone got any other mirrors for Drog's most recent upload? For some reason the file is corrupted when I try.

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Downloaded the latest version. Indeed, everything seems to work all right now.

The download had a tendency to randomly stop, though. Sometimes at 40 MB, sometimes at 300kB, sometimes something in between. Took me quite a few attempts to finally fully download the file.

If anyone else is encountering similar problems with FileDropper, here is a mirror on MediaFire.

Our Host!