Expansion of the Log-Book?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Morden279, Apr 30, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Just my two-cents here, but one thing that really impressed me about Arcanum was the log-book feature which of course held rumours, quests, curses and the such.
    However, being such a huge game, it was annoying having to sift through the 40 or 50 or so pages of rumours which you soon collect to find the ones you need.

One thing that I'd suggest, is maybe different sections of rumours, such as one chapter per city/ area for quick reference.

In addition, I'd also like to see a seperate section in the log-book for descriptions and locations for trainers of skills in a sequel. (Masters, Experts, etc.) Again, it's annoying to have to search for them among your many rumours and notes.

Regards,
    Morden

2. cadaver

cadaver New Member

yeah make a diffrence between rumor and quests in that book
    and for location/trainers is olso some space, cause for your background is olso space for so why not for trainers

3. Canis

Canis New Member

Rumors & Notes are in a different section than Quests.

While I'd like the ability to search the logbook and whatnot, I don't think expanding it to contain an infinite number of sections is the way to go.

4. backstabber

backstabber New Member

i want the ability to delete and add stuff in the quest log manually.

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Add, perhaps. Delete, never. The forums would be filled with small children crying about how they don't know what to do because they deleted their journal.

A filter system like the one in Divinity would work nicely.

6. Langolier

Langolier Member

I like the idea of seperate sections for each city.

7. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I said rumor and quest not rumor and note.
    but I olso like the idea of different sections for each town city.
    but not the removing things, do to canis post

8. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Not an infinate number of sections, just an extra chapter for the locations of trainers. Not much to ask, really. ;)

Langolier, thanks, although I got the idea from Fallout 2.

Regards,
    Morden

9. Canis

Canis New Member

You said, "make a diffrence between rumor and quests". And I pointed out that they are already in different sections. Rumors are in Rumors & Notes, and quests are in Quests.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Although there's really no point arguing over a game that will never be made.

You run the risk of journal overload. A simple search feature, or the ability to sort things alphabetically or whatnot, would do the job nicely.

10. cadaver

cadaver New Member

yep sorry for that

11. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

"Journal overload"? Bloody hell, it's just one extra section! I don't see why "blessings and curses" deserves it's own when its contents hardly take up any space. (I only got 3 blessings/ curses in the entire game!) :p

Regards,
    Morden

12. Canis

Canis New Member

Personally I don't see why Background has a section of its own but that's no reason to put in a new section for every silly little thing a few people have trouble remembering. Especially when a filter or search feature would get you the desired information lickety-split.

Quite a lot of people manage to rack up more than 3 blessings/curses, besides.

13. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Come on, there must be at least two dozen different trainers in Arcanum, and with everything else going on in the game, it's difficult to remember who and where they are without resorting to leafing through the notebook.

Regards,
    Morden

14. Canis

Canis New Member

And for those who can't remember such things, that's where the FILTER or SEARCH FEATURE would come in. Find what you need without cluttering up the interface.

Am I the only one who finds it absurd we're arguing over a game that will never be made, in a forum that probably won't be here much longer?

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

There is nothing wrong with suggesting ideas for a non-existent game. In my opinion this forum is where alot of people can suggest improvements for Arcanum. Its a real shame that a sequel will likely never be made thouhg. :(

16. cadaver

cadaver New Member

:( :(

17. xento

xento New Member

No, no. We at Blackout Mods are doing our best to create a FAN-made Arcanum 2. If any of you would like to help, we really need support and members. Go and check it out!

18. cadaver

cadaver New Member

sorry I have no coding skills, not even html

19. Langolier

Langolier Member

Yeah, I'm afraid I would contribute absolutley nothing if was on your team. I dont know a Da$%* thing about modding. Not to mention the fact that I have yet to get one of the fixs (MachinePlate and such) to work.
    Hmm..... should probably stay on topic.... I think that seperate sections for each city would work fine, it would really make it easier trying to sift through rumors in your log book. Its just having them all together that makes it so hard.

20. Canis

Canis New Member

That's okay, 99.99% of the "modding community" don't know jack about modding so you'd fit right in. Modding, programming, storytelling, web design, basic English skills.... These are the bane of modders everywhere. Why if only they would come up with a program that would let ordinary people create brilliant RPGs without effort, talent, or thought! Ah... bliss....

Our Host!