Ending slides glitch

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kyosuke, Aug 31, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kyosuke

kyosuke New Member

I seem to be having problems with the ending slides during which the game just skips endings randomly.
    For example, with the same save game and same dialog choices with Kerghan,
    1st try, I get The Boil, Donn Throgg, Black Root and Bedokaan ending slides.
    2nd try, I get Shrouded Hills (Doc Roberts) and Alexander ending slides only.
    3rd try, I get The Boil, Donn Throgg, Bedokaan and Vendigroth ending slides.

I am currently using the UAP + High Res patch + HQ Town Maps + HQ Music.

Anyone knows of a solution to this glitch?

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I too, suffer from the same glitch. All I know is that the same glitch occurs whenever you view the credits (from the main menu) so you can check immediately after installing if something wrong (you don't have to finish an entire playthrough).

I am currently using the UAP + HQ Town Maps + HQ Music. (No High Res patch)
    OS: Is Win 8 64bit (can't describe how much I hate it).

Edit: I was using the GOG version, if that makes a difference.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I always thought you just get a selection, you don't get shown every slide every time, but I may be wrong on this front.

4. Deman

Deman Member

I had this issue as well. For me it got solved by editing Direct x's default settings. I'm not at home right now, but I can check up on it when I return on monday.

5. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Please do. It was excruciating not being able to see all the damage I had done during my first evil playthrough.

6. Deman

Deman Member

Re:

Yeah it's pretty frustrating, hopefully this might help you out :). In beforehand I'd like to say that I don't know why this method works. It was just that the glitch seemed awfully alike another glitch, which instead affected the ending slides of the older Fallout games. The solution for this (and for Arcanum in my case) was the following;

- Open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool by pressing Start > Run and typing dxdiag

- Click the Display tab and turn off "DirectDraw" (doing this will also disable Direct3D acceleration)

- Now select the Sound tab and set the Sound Acceleration slider to none

This was done on Windows XP. Since the two of you are using newer OS:s, it gets more problematic. Apparently the DirectX Diagnostic Tool can't be opened in Windows 7. Your only option is to start up a Virtual Machine which uses an older OS.

On Windows 8 however, the instructions given on this site might achieve the above though.

7. kyosuke

kyosuke New Member

Re: Re:

Followed the method in the top answer at the site which involved downloading the DirectX 9.0c control panel and it worked.
    Thanks!

8. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I tried it out as well and the problem was partially fixed. Now all but one of the ending slides are shown, but that one (either the first or the last) is always skipped. And in the cases of a single ending (siding with *no spoilers allowed* or the god endings) it is always skipped.

Still, it is a vast improvement so thanks a bunch. I'm considering naming the second best of my non ugly kids after you.

Our Host!