Dwarven women

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Frigo, Jun 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Look what did I found in the arcanum manual ("A Brief History of Arcanum")

Do you believe this stuff ?!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Personal opinion -

10 year gestation: Nope!

2 to 1 male to female ratio: Possible.

Females locked away: Possible but unlikely. See Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Book or movie).

High maternal health risk: Definately.

Females as prized possessions: Definately.

High bride price: Oh yeah!

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

1) It's in the manual. Why not believe it? It's a fantasy world, everything is possible, especially something that is wrote by the authors.
    2) Frigo, by the number of your posts I assume you've played Arcanum for some time already. Don't tell me you haven't read the manual before?

4. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Why would anyone read the manual? Manuals are stupid...

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Tell you what, the banana bread in the manual is stupid, the rest is not.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That gets me to wonder how long it takes for an elf to deliver a child. If a dwarf ages five times as slowly as a human, and takes 10 years to have a child...

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Actually, I find the Arcanum manual quite interresting. It's contains not only useful hints at the time of one's first experiences with Arcanum, but also has some in-world curious articles, such as short informations of all races, it makes it more climatic and real. Also the information what you get for having 20 in any characteristic or being a apprentice/expert/master in a skill is just priceless.
    As for the banana bread, never tried it. Game manuals would be rather a bizarre place when searching for a good recipe.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

If you like banana bread, give it a try. It's quite good.

9. Grossenschwamm

It's delicious! I just can't guarantee that you'll be able to get the ingredients from their intended locality.

10. JustaFishInaJar

JustaFishInaJar New Member

Maybe there's only one female per dwarven clan and she's like a termite queen. That would expain why the entire clan is male; to reduce tension of a new female rising to become queen. Plus both termites and dwarfs live in tunnels in the earth. Also if you take the word dwarf, switch the letters around, take some letters out and replace them with others... its spells termite.

The last one might be a stretch.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I have a little lack of caladon cinnamon, also I don't think any of the bananas from my fridge are the Cattan sweet ones. Oh well...
    I found also something which appeared a little funny to me. The recipe requires walnuts, and in polish language (and the polish manual and recipe) walnuts are called "orzechy włoskie" which means "italian nuts". Well, I'm really curious how the people of Arcanum are albo to import nuts from Italy, perhaps some kind of spell creating dimension gates. ;)

Yeah, and I imagine the dwarven queen beeing big, fat, hairy and extremely ugly. But the dwarves, while being disgusted by her, desire her in the same time, which makes them really embarresed about it. And they would burn with shame when anyone would know about their secrete, that's why they are so aggresive when anyone askes about dwarven women. :D Quite a theory..

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

14. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

In the second one they have beards, so its just a male dwarf in drag.

15. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

No they're not! Haven't you read Terry Pratchett?

16. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

If by read you mean I've glanced at the back cover of a discworld book once then yes.

Otherwise No.

17. Grossenschwamm

Some female dwarves choose to shave their beards, to keep with the fashions of the other median races. At least, that's what D&D tells me.

Did anyone else notice that in the second picture, even with the beards, the artist tried to make the women attractive?

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Man, if I were you, I wouldn't travel to any dwarven clan after than, ever. ;)
    Mmm, in the second one the women even trim their beards in a fancy way, so *anty*sexy.

20. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I've heard over and over again that fantasy literature owes a lot to Tolkien for his work. I have to wonder what the genre was like before him - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves for instance. Tolkein had a problem though and that was dealing with female characters - there were none in the Hobbit and there were no female dwarfs mentioned in Lord of the Rings.

In the Appendices however, he suggests that fewer female dwarfs are born than males, and that the number of dwarfs is further limited because not all females find a mate they want who also wants them, and so live alone. If I recall correctly, he suggests that dwarf women wear fake beards to be able to travel without molestation.

In Arcanum, I found that Madam Lil's girls have responses in case you were a female Dwarf, Half-Ogre, or Gnome. "I like women with beards" says one I believe. I suppose you could think of it as a burka. It's sold to Muslim women as a means of modesty (as is the head scarf) when really it's a form of domination to make women neither seen nor heard and a symbol of sharia(sp?) law. But let's consider the modesty argument: If a dwarf woman has a beard perhaps she would be more easily accepted as an individual than as a potential mate. Then the flaunting of the female form by the other races would be seen as offensive to the dwarfs.

Our Host!