Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but...

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Jinxed, Jul 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I haven't been around much lately, so I didn't post news when this happened.

The thing is Vivendi who owns Sierra has financial problems, and they decided to close Sierra down, only letting its name stay on the games like HL2.

I don't think this bodes well for a sequal, the license will most likely be shelved for an indefinate period of time.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Bodes well?

Simply put any sequel chances have pretty much been killed.

3. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

Well is fun talking but it appears some dreams have been broken and who knows if arcanum will have a sequel...but i think that some other companies will take on this chalange

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Bodes = an omen

complete quote: "I don't think this bodes well"

Any questions?

As far as I know, Sierra owned an ass large amount of licenses. I bet Vivendi could sell any one of these, but somehow I can't see it happen to Arcanum. Arcanum wasn't a real commercial success, partly because Sierra demanded that multiplayer was added, and Troika changed key elements to make it work. Namely combat. That said, Arcanum still has a lousy character system, keeping it from attaining a legendary status like some other iso games. But the real no-no that happened was WAREZ, the game was available for a month or longer on warez before it hit the stores.

What would have to happen is someone approaching Vivendi about it, and with things working the way they do, I can't imagine someone would see a success probability big enough to do it.

Our Host!