Does Gender affect caps?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Onestep, Jun 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Onestep

Onestep New Member

I'm just about to roll a new character (Mage/Fighter, most likely) and a thought occured to me.

Does the +1 Con/-1 Str given to females affect their caps at all, as a race/background would? Or is it just a temporary thing?

Because if it's the former, then giving up access to the 20 STR bonus without taking a STR increasing background seems like a pretty big thing.

This doesn't directly affect me, as I'm playing a human male, but I'm quite curious.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed, sex does affect caps, or to be exact - one cap. The effects of being a woman are similar to background modifiers, meaning the -1 STR lowers the cap to 19, but the +1 CON doesn't affect the cap which stays at 20.

3. Onestep

Onestep New Member

Huh. That seems... like a fair bit of a downside. I mean, CON is generally one of the least useful stats anyhow, given how you can swim in Mana and Health potions by game's end. I guess it's ok if Tomboy fixes it, but it's a shame having to pass up on something that'd be more useful for a magic user, like Bookworm.

Ah, well. Guess my highly literate Fighter/Mage will just have to show the ladies how it's done.

It's done with Tempus Fugit, Haste, AoF, Stun and Backstab :minigun:

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Half-Orc females can naturally reach 20 strength, so they're an option for people who want to play a female character yet don't want to compromise on the 20 strength bonus and don't want to pick a strength boosting background.

5. Thor Kaufman

Thor Kaufman New Member

Other than that you could use the Caladon Crusading Chain (+1str among other bonuses) and/or Myrth's amulet (+1str, +1con) to reach the cap. Items help counteract negative modifiers.
    Also useful for dwarves etc to reach maximum dex for instance (via those electric rings or ancient god's quest for example)

Our Host!