Do you believe in JESUS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mael, Dec 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mael

Mael New Member

it doesn't matter what your religion is or belief

do you?

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No sorry. I'm Jewish, I can't believe in God having a human shape or in a three-in-one God

4. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

To paraphrase a Blood Hound Gang song,

Yes i believe in Jesus, he steals hub caps from cars. Hey Jesus! Can i borrow your crowbar?

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

From a strictly scientific standpoint, there can be no doubt that Jesus existed. It is a FACT that someone called Jesus lived at the time stated by the bible, and was a thoroughly nice chap.

The real question should be: "Do you believe Jesus was the son of God?"

THat, is the difficult bit, and relies completely on a matter of faith, as there is no evidence for it, but no evidence to the contrary either.

Personally, as a non religeous person, and someone with a keen founding in the sciences, and fact, I cannot say that I believe he was the son of God.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

At the risk of totally and utterly alienating myself from yet another cozy forum, I'm afraid I can't agree that there's no debate over the existence of an historical Jesus. Admittedly, relatively very few people have taken the standpoint that Jesus never existed, and certainly for the faithful the question never seems to occur at all. Regardless of how unpopular a stance it is, it remains that the only "historical" evidence we have of a Jesus existing little more (or "little less" depending on how cruel one wishes to be) than word-of-mouth, heresay, and myth.

There was an interesting debate about it in the magazine Free Inquiry a year or two ago. I found a copy of one of the articles in the series here. And another interesting essay, not from Free Inquiry, here.

As to whether Jesus was the Lord and Saviour (or whatever they call it), as a matter of faith it is true that there exists no evidence in support or to the contrary.... But there is also no evidence pro or con the faerie kingdom that has established itself at the bottom of my garden, but I don't see anyone giving me the benefit of the doubt on that one. As well, Carl Sagan didn't get too many believers when an invisible, undetectable dragon moved into his garage....

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I believe they actually found some hard evidence on the existence of a man that went through the ordeals that Jesus did, in the time he did, and the location he did. Admittedly though, they couldn't prove his name was Jesus. However, he was, in effect, a 'Jesus' through the sheer fact that he underwent the same things that Jesus is supposed to have been through, and at the same time, and in the same place.

It's unlikely to have happened to two people at the same time.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

From a philosophical standpoint, I'd say doubt is always a possibility, even on the most directly observed and proven facts, let alone the murky depths of history.

9. xento

xento New Member

I believe Jesus is the son of God and he died and was raised again to clense us of our sins.

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

11. Canis

Canis New Member

I hadn't heard about anything so hard and convincing. Is there an article you could suggest on the topic?

12. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

I beleive in a big sheep in the sky. He is very big, the diamater of one his is hairs is equal to the diameter of jupiter.
    Should you upset him enough you will suffer the bleat of a thousand decibels.
    I'm only 3 days from my zuminion (thats when I officially become a man) :)

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

That is of course, the god of all things purple on mondays, yet green on thursdays.
    I think I just established that my religious views are allways random gibberish made up on the spot. Speaking of which, I have a polytheistic religion, and everyone is willing to join. I might even put up a web page for it, if I get really drunk, and the penguins are willing.

As to the existence of a historical Jesus, I have no idea, and it really doesn't matter. The fact that he is only recorded in Hearsay means a big heaping stack of nothing. Just about everybody hasn't even been recorded as that.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

None of the three major religions (Christianity, Islam and Judaism) dispute his existence - the Jews crucified him, Islam believes he's a prophet, and Christians worship him.

I don't dispute his existence, and I sit on the fence regarding his holiness.

15. Canis

Canis New Member

Well, lack of any raging dispute among the religious does not by itself give support to his existence or nonexistence. There is, however, an ongoing though mostly quiet dispute among the nonreligious on this point, which the religious usually dismiss as the usual atheistic bitterness.

16. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Judaism doesn't dispute his existance, it just doesn't believe he ever existed. As for "Jews crucified Jesus" thing... Even according to the New Testament it was the Romans.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

If you want to take what I said literally, then yes, the Romans did the actual crucifiction. However, it was the Jews who pushed for it, and the Jewish Elders who pretty much said "You know, Pilate, if you don't crucify that Jesus fellow, we've got a feeling there might be a bit of an insurrection, in which he'll die anyway. I don't know how I know this, but it's just a feeling I've got..."

Pilate wanted to let Jesus go, but he was pretty much pressured into crucifying him.

18. Mael

Mael New Member

i used to believe

but upon realizing that other religions (muslims, buddhist, etc.)
    has thier own belief system

they may deny or confirm somethings about him...
    or they may have a different tale about him
    like if his god and such...

it's really hard to tell which story it true...

would it be unfair to other religion, to say that the christians (jesus's
    followers) that thiers are true and correct, and the other religions are
    not?

now i really don't know if i still believe
    i guess i'am just loosing faith

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Well, what can you expect? Hearsay were pretty rubbish. Even the presence of the son of god couldn't save their careers! :D

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

All I can say to that, Mael, is go with what's in your heart. If you believe in the Lord, and know that He will not lead you astray, just follow what you feel is right in your heart. The arguments of many on this board have caused me to question my own faith and belief. As a matter of fact, I sat in church last Sunday, thinking to myself, "What if there isn't an afterlife? And, even worse, what if I'm doomed to Hell or it's equivalent because my religion isn't the right one."

But, I try to just push those thoughts outta my head, and pray for deliverance from them. As far as one religion being "right" or not, I'm on the fence with that one. It is said that a portion of every tribe will be saved in the Bible. Yes, nbrosz, I know it's referring to the 12 tribes of Israel, but I wonder if there is a deeper meaning than that, maybe meaning other religions. I don't know, something to think about.

But when it all comes down to it, I do believe that Christ Jesus is the Messiah, and pray and hope that I am one of His, and I pray that each of you are called upon and find spiritual peace and are saved in that Great Day.

Our Host!