Disturbing proof that Fable 3's combat is slow.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Jul 24, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Fable 3 was an ok game, pretty easy though.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

That was pretty disturbing, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep for weeks.

My biggest with Fable 3 is that after buying it second hand and for cheap on xbox 360 I've been unable to play the game because in game text is too small making it impossible to tell what you're doing. My tv is a 26 inch non-HD tv so it's not tiny by any stretch, pretty average really, and yet I've noticed in a lot of new games in game writing is really small and there's no way to make it larger - it seems like game companies assume everyone has a massive HD tv these days. So until I get a better tv, which I won't be doing in the foreseeable future, I can't play it.

4. Grossenschwamm

Like the second, it was anticlimactic. The slowness of combat and the rapid ascension to god-hood makes things pretty easy, you're right.

**Skip to the bottom of this paragraph if you don't care about my power-gaming strategy

I was so used to the combat of 3 I got my ass kicked in a game I had previously played non-stop for over a year (Fable TLC). I even failed at my personal game-breaker strategy - jack up my combat multiplier in the Guild (by killing guards and the shopkeeper that called me a "little scrote") so I can gain skill experience by shopping in Oakvale. Save up enough money to buy the gems in a store (by leveraging cheaper items until you have the gold), sell them back en masse to reap a profit, rinse, and repeat about 6 times, and you have several thousand skill points to spend. Put in a times 15 multiplier and it's like you were supposed to do it that way in the first place. This way, I max out my character's skill level before I really start the game. I had actually done this initially to get my character "Legendary" before taking the Wasp Queen quest - I thought if I did it, I could kill the Snow Troll in hook coast, as it constantly says the player's renown isn't high enough (you can never get the quest). Still, having legendary renown for killing guards with the most powerful bow in the game is its own reward, right? For the best results, have the hero wear the fishing cap. It's a bit lame to see his bald head when you go full evil.

**It's disturbing in that the disappointing sequel to a rather entertaining game made me suck at said game. I didn't get worse at Halo by playing Halo 2 - at least Fable 2 kept the combat speed high.

It's too bad about the text in the game for you, Jojo. I'd think you would be able to read it fine on a 26 inch SDTV, but I use a 23 inch full HD computer monitor to play so I wouldn't know.

I do have good news, though. The DLC quest pack that was released this year for Fable 3 is actually challenging. Well, challenging in that the new enemies can pose a threat. Makes that whole original final boss issue less lame.

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Are you playing on a 26-inch tube???

6. Jojobobo

Oh so you're too good for exclamation marks but not for three (three!) question marks? I don't know what kind of sick punctuation mark game you're playing TDC but I don't like it!

To answer your question indeed I am, it was here when I moved into the flat so I'm hardly going to buy one when I can have one for free. Maybe when I start earning some (any) money I might purchase a cheap HD tv but until that point I'll stick with what I have.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I also run a thick-TV. It's awesome, almost Steampunk by today's standards.

8. werozzi

werozzi Member

I've got a Box-TV also, but not steampunk as DE says, but more Falloutesque; it shows almost everything with a greenish tint!
    Also a good HDTV, but HD cable is expensive man!
    And also i agree about tiny fonts in games, i can't play skyrim in my Box-TV 'cause of that.

9. Jojobobo

I can barely play Skyrim but it is managable, Fable 3 on the other hand is completely off the cards. I can't understand why game companies don't put in an option to make text bigger for people with SD tvs.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Indeed I am. The triplet question marks were sufficient to demonstrate my shock. Exclamation would have been over the top.

I don't mind the technology (I still run a tube myself), I'm just thinking that a 26" tube is actually a pretty small set.

11. Grossenschwamm

For a while I was running my 360 games through a 20 inch tube display (an Advent model with optional S-Video), and that was fine for each game I had at the time, Fable 2 and Street Fighter 4. I bought the HD monitor I described some time later, and have been using it since. Fable 2's text was somewhat readable on the old display, much smaller than your 26" tube, though that might have something to do with the pixels of that display. I wasn't running my 360 through the S-Video, but there would still be more pixels in the screen than a regular SDTV.

However, I saw that there's a VGA cable you can buy for your Xbox 360 that allows you to hook up to your computer monitor and play the game that way. You may want to try it if you have the proper hardware, Jojo.

12. Jojobobo

I guess I could try, though my laptop seems like it's on its last legs now too - the thing won't remain charging unless I have the charger in a very specific position which isn't good coupled with the fact the battery life now is only about 20 minutes. Also my screen is only normal at certain angles now, it becomes a green/purple pixelated mess most of the time. I've heard screens are pretty easy to replace, but when there's multiple problems wrong with my laptop it doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

And I didn't have any problem reading text in Fable 2 either, or with the majority of my older xbox 360 games. It just seems like it's the newer ones where this is becoming the trend.

13. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Ran a television set older than I am to play Heavy Rain the first time through, had to guess the button presses.

Our Host!