Deleted Character Points

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Jazintha Piper, Mar 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

For some strange reason my character seems to be losing character points. This came to my attention after two incidents in the Character screen:

1. After talking to Radver about the Shape and the Stone, in which your character needs a minimum of 12 intelligence points, I somehow lost an intelligence point down to 11. For the heck of it I didn't spend my points until I had enough, and tried to get to 20, but it stopped at 19.

2. I usually max out on Charisma points, so I completed the Madame Toussuade's quest after the Robbery quest, and gained the blessing that way. When I tried to reach 20 Charisma (thereby attaining 5 followers) it wouldn't let me past 19.

I've started a separate game out of frustration because I'm writing a fan-fic based on this character; I've stopped at level 35 because of the second incident. I'm playing a half-orc female raised by monks, and I'm maxing out on Charisma, Force and White Necromancy, before completing the God's quest, then attaining master on a few other characteristics.

My suspicion is that it is a bug, and I'll have had to restart the game anyway, but I wonder if this is anything to do with the character.

Is there any way to save the game, or shall we add it to the bug book?

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Half orcs do have a racial penalty of beauty and charisma if memory serves. If there is an intelligence penalty as well (I don't recall and I'm too lazy to look it up right now) this might prevent you from manually getting intelligence and/or charisma up to 20 from points alone.

The blessing should override racial concerns though. I always thought the only way to break racial stat barriers was through magicial means or otherwise.

I assume you're patched?

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Half-Orcs don't get an Intelligence penalty, so it's possible that it's a bug, though I've never heard of anything like that before.

The Charisma thing works as coded though. Half-orcs receive a -2 to penalty to CHA and the blessing, if I recall correctly, nets you +1. Meaning that 19 is your cap, sorry.

Half-orc debutantés are fun though. I love rolling a half-orc ladies with tricked out Beauty and Charisma, but that's only because I'm partial to the same sexual perversions mathboy has.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

That's an....interesting way to look at it. I guess I avoid the half-orc race too often since I enjoy party members and all my solitary thieves are halflings. Perhaps I shall try a solo orc mage next time I decide to get all the way to the Isle of Despair or farther before I restart again.

In any case, maybe your chosen moniker should have been "Perverted Orc" instead of "Dark Elf."

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    You need incentive.

I hereby command you to finish Arcanum with a male human technologist specializing in Electric, Gunsmithy, Persuasion and Firearms. Your progress shall be recorded by posting screenshots in the Arcanum Discussion forum. On April 16th, at the latest, shall a screenshot be posted that prove you finished the game.

Failure to ccmply will lead to you receiving a rank and avatar of my choosing for a period of time dictated by my whims.

I'll reluctantly accept changes to these conditions but once agreed upon, the contract is considered binding.

6. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

Good luck, Philes :p

I started the character so I can write the Fan-fic based on the other main character's reactions. I'll try it again because my boyfriend downloaded a CD image (which didn't end up working anyway) and I saved my game separately before uninstalling it initially. Yes, I'm patched with the latest official version.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't actually got the manual, and I haven't the time to read the damn thing in the CD. Danker!

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I actually wrote an origin story about my old Half Orc mage Richard Vorak, unfortunately I think only Xiao Caity had a copy at the time my HDD died and then her computer got formatted so I guess its gone forever. It was probably a good thing anyway, it was a good concept that had been badly written.

Remember kids, always PRINT a back up of your stories.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That's no guarantee. The site(s) can shut down.

10. Wolfsbane

And your printed paper can't get destroyed?

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's called diminishing the risks you nimrod. If your papers catch fire at the same time as your hard-drive decides to depreciate itself and your Internet files get corrupted, all you can do is blame God.

12. Wolfsbane

I find the internet as a much more secure place to store my information in, nimrod.

13. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

What for kind of manual do you need???. Maybe I can find it for you on the internet.

14. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

There's a copy of the manual on the CD, but what with THE REST OF MY LIFE there isn't much time to read the whole thing. I guess I'll just continue to find surprises.

I'll keep you posted if the same Intelligence drop occurs again.

15. Hercules Treeweaver

Hercules Treeweaver New Member

I am willing to accept your quest, good sir. I, too, have found myself continuously restarting Arcanum. My furthest character reached Vendigroth, but he's an evil spellcaster whom can hardly take on Automatons.

The only change I'd make to the quest is that I want to keep using my "Miracle Operation" Dwarven gunner, if I may, sir.
    -HT

16. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

I always play all the way through, until something completely buggy (like this one) happens.

17. Conjurer

Conjurer New Member

I find myself starting over numerous times as well. I've finally reached the Void though, on my Elf Gunslinger. Its quite interesting to play. Once I finish it I'm going to try to go through the game as an evil dwarven mage.

Our Host!