Damn, you Swedes know how to rock a hockey rink!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimmHatter, Oct 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Alright, I always considered myself hardcore when it comes to hockey. I passionately follow NHL, AHL, ECHL, Olympics and some of the local highschool teams in my area. I've taken part in a few hat trick tossings in my day, but not even Al Sobotka has anything on what went down at a Swedish AIK game the other day.

Swedish hockey fans delay match with dildo downpour

Yes you read that right. Here's a video too. Can someone who speaks swedish tell me what they're chanting at 4:45 when the big blowup dick "pops" up behind the banner that says Bend Over Bitch!

Anyway, love your passion for the greatest game in the world.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's hard to make out what they are chanting, but I think they're going "En jävla massa löskuk" which means "a goddamn lot of loose cock" or "a goddamn lot of dildo"

Actually, I personally only care for hockey when it's the World Championship and we have a good chance of winning, but all the people in my class at uni are all devoted to hockey to the point of obsession.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm not the biggest ice hockey fan - I'm afraid I spent too long playing the more mundane version and it stole my twisted little heart away - but that's fucking awesome. I wish people would pull shit like this at AFL matches. (Aussie rules, not the pussy American version. An american footballer would die at an Aussie Rules match. :D)

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Aussie Rules will always be a tougharse game due to your lack of reliance on pussy armour unlike some cultures out there.

5. GrimmHatter

^^And another point for why hockey is the greatest cross-cultural sport ever. There's only one way to play it, fast and furious. Everyone in every country uses the same amount of padding. Though, I do like the larger ice surfaces the European/World leagues use, and I like the physicality of the North American leagues. Plus, what other major sport allows you to engage in bare knuckle boxing with your opponent and not get fined/ejected/arrested for it? Though I think that's more exclusive to Canadian and American leagues than others.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    ... unless you happen to be Börje Salming. Apparently the guy was in the habit of destroying the padding just so that he could be more tough.

Of course, he's now got more scar tissue on him than actual skin.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Damn straight. Who needs armour? I mean seriously, have you seen the amount of padding Americans use? It's not like their game even needs it. Play never seems to last more than 20 second between whistles getting blown and they never barrel into each other or anything. They're pussies!

*ahem* This has been your generic Aussie Rules > American Football rant for the day, happily provided by a woman who, ironically, doesn't even like football.

8. GrimmHatter

But it doesn't make it any less true. Have you seen how us big, tough Americans love to dance like homos after delivering such earth shattering hits on other big hulking juicers decked out in full body armor? And then they go skipping off the field to congratulate each other with ass slappings all around. Yeah, give me blood on the ice over that pussy shit any day.

9. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

See, now I read that as... "Yeah, give me blood from the arse over that pussy any day.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I watch football (american), but that's because it's a social event here. You get a group of guys together, a large quantity of cheap beer, some nachos, pizza, and pick a team to root for.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    My English teacher in Upper Secondary School was from L.A, which probably was the only credential the school ever looked at. He considered American Football (without the padding, mind you) a great way of teaching English, so we spent about half of our English lessons doing just that. The other half, we listened to him talking about all the partying he did. Seems like drinking until he passed out and wet his bed was standard fare for this guy.

Good times.

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Some angry mom wrote in to the newspaper a couple weeks ago complaining about how Rugby is an 'ancient sport of 40 or 50 years ago', and how hard her kids in the football team work while still getting good marks and juggling jobs (which isn't true, they're the punks who keep vandalizing the town and antagonizing the city councillor. And New Brunswick is the stupidest province in Canada), to the point where they're throwing up.

I was upset, because Rugby is definitely NOT an ancient sport of 40 or 50 years ago, nor is it less extreme than Western Hemisphere football in anyway. Sort of annoyed me.

I considered writing a response, but the high school sports coach is also the mayor, so I decided against.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    ... caused me to remember an old quote Sea Dog posted here an eternity ago: "Soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hoodlums and rugby is a hoodlum's sport played by gentlemen".

Despite three seasons of soccer and none of rugby behind me, I'd pick rugby any given day.

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Finally, the truth has been spoken! I love rugby, especially the predatory tactics employed in the game's strategy.
    During one game, the opposing team saw how great a player our Hooker was, and decided to take him out of the game. They broke his nose so he'd have to sit out due to him being a blood hazard. You know, diseases (meh!).
    So much fun...I played soccer for eight years and never had as much fun as when I played rugby.

15. GrimmHatter

The same strategy can be found in hockey. Casual observers who don't take the time to get to know the game better see fighting in hockey and call it pointless and barbaric, when actually it's deployed in the exact same manner as Gross described in rugby. If your team's "skill" players are making things difficult for your opponent and they send out a shadow to harrass him, you send out your enforcer to start a fight. Hopefully your enforcer wins the fight, causing the other team's checkers to lay off your skill guys, thus giving them more room on the ice to make plays. It's fun watching the coaches standing above the players on the benches like old war generals deploying their soldiers in response to any given situation throughout the game.

Another strategy is to send out your agitator to harrass the other team's skill player and goad him into taking a stupid penalty. Now, not only do you have a man advantage from the power play, you've also neutralized your opponent's most effective weapon for the next two minutes. Worst case scenario: the two players both take penalties and you play 4 on 4 for 2 minutes with even more open ice for your skill players to work with, and again, your opponent is down one forward.

16. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I don't understand rugby... then again, I don't know of a single rugby team in the local region. I doubt I'd play since, well, I'm really fuckin' lazy, but I wouldn't mind going and watching a game if there was a local team.

17. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I played soccer in high school, some of us would use the strategy mentioned by GrimmHatter and Grossenschwamm. There were 3 of us (myself, the other fullback, and the sweeper). As long as you had your “eyes on the ball”, it was very hard to get called on a personal foul. It’s amazing how getting sandwiched between two 180lbs fullback running at full tilt can take a good forward out of the game. Never on purpose, of course. We were concentrating on the ball and didn’t realize that the collision was imminent. :) . Or a slide tackle just above the shin guards is always accidental. And when your running full tilt, your arms are pumping hard. It’s not your fault if you punch someone in the solar plexus when you accidently run into them while trying to get the ball.:wink:

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Have you ever played rugby in deep snow?

It's bloody fantastic.

19. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    There was never an opportunity to play Rugby. I always thought it would be fun to play. Now I'm too old and break too easily, but I'd be willing to enjoy the bone snapping sound from the sideline.

20. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20080926

Yes you tough aussies can handle anything except Silent Hill :p

Our Host!