Cybernum . Magic in the XXI century

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by mattness, Apr 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Is it good idea?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way! Leave Arcanum in XIX !!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Arcanum community is dying... No one will help :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mattness

mattness New Member

Cybernum - magic in the XXI century.

Cybernum

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Cities are thrilled by gang wars, organized crime and critters from legends and myths
    - Polluted sites are haunted by powerful Toxic shamans and spirits
    - Helicopters and Blade Runner-like vehicles hovering above players head
    - Druids making human sacrifices in stone cirlces
    - Dragons at the top of food chain.
    - Various factions (on street level: gangs fighting each other (imagine. barricades on the streets). Orgnizaed crime - mafia fights with yakuza, both hates Korean Seolpa Rings, and there is ruthless russian mob - vory v zakone. Then various policlubs - Humanis policlub, those neo KuKluxKlan fighting ORC - Ork Rights Coalition.)
    - Insect spirits breeds! And they need human hosts...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks.
    I'm mattness from Poland (sorry for my bad English). I'm Arcanum fan, ex member of Fallout 2: New Arroyo Mod (still on good conditions with polish FO scene) and founder of Shadowrun Polska polish community site. (Check our movie.)

I want cyberpunk Arcanum mode. As Arcanum is mix of Steampunk (Verne etc.) and magic, Shadowrun is mix of CYBERPUNK (Matrix, Robocop movies etc.) and magic.
    Do you help me? Cybernum needs good modders and graphics

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHADOWRUN :-?
    Shadowrun is Pen and paper RPG system, published first time in 1989. More than 200 various books, models, cards, board games...
    More about Shadowrun: http://Srrpg.com .
    Check:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun
    Here's some graphics:
    http://www.shadowrun.de/sr/material/wal ... aper1.html
    And beasts of the future (Critters):
    http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/d ... itters.pdf

M$ owns SR rights since +/- 10 years. When they bought FASA interacive, all works on Shadowrun cRPGs stopped. Rumour is M$ is planing to made a FPS of Shadowrun ( :cry: ). That's why I'm thinking about Shadowrun mod.
    Shadowrun computer games:
    SNES
    SEGA
    Decker [PC]

So. Anybody right there?
    What you think about this total conversion mod idea?
    If you want to help, you are modder, or a graphic, or have ideas and you're English is good - write to me.
    mattness@op.pl

Cheers
    mattness

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Jesus christ! I never thought I'd see a good idea for this sort of thing, but here you are!

3. mattness

mattness New Member

Thanks, Wolfsbane. :)

Arcanum is almost ideal for Shadowrun game. The only problem is graphics. But this can be done with help of decent modders and good graphics.

Fallout has no spells or good NPCs direction like arachnids in Arcanum. And FO 2 is pain in the a** to mod something good (game isn't modding friendly Team X and rest of FO community made some standards and usefool tools, but creating good mod which is bigger than one location is something, that only can be made by few dozens of people on the Earth.).

I thought about Jagged Alliance 2, but besides spell problem (like Fallout), there's a problem with monsters (dragons, for example).
    And polish fans just couldn't imaging elf with a gun :( .

4. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

[crazymode]Rarara, I will eat your mothers heart![/crazymode]

5. mattness

mattness New Member

Vyenna
    Why no?

EDIT: After Vyenna edit
    Why?

6. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

7. mattness

mattness New Member

Just ask :)

8. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

First, i need to know if you want to create Shadowrun with the Arcanum editor, or if you want to blend Shadowrun into Arcanum as we know it now.

Second:
    What, exactly, do you mean by "graphic"? Someone who can create in-game graphics, or what?

9. mattness

mattness New Member

The idea is total conversion mod.
    New guns, modified character animations, some changes to Inventory screen (slots for cyberware).
    Brave New World ;)

Exactly.
    Are you a graphic?

What?
    Shadowrun is PEN and PAPER. If you're interested in Steampunk + magic P&P, ask Silencer from NMA (he and some poles are creating one called Wolsung).
    So, if I understand you're question correctly, no.
    I don't want to make Arcanum PnP with shadowrun mechanic. If you knew SR rules you would know that's insane. Arcanum D20 isn't bad idea. But we don't talk about modding pnp RPG system.
    We're talking about Arcanum mod idea.

10. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Ok, then I'm out. By all means, go ahead and make it but most likely I won't care and therefore not play it. I have no modding skills or experience and the same goes for creating in-game graphics. Only thing I might be helpful with is concept art, but I'm *guessing* you won't be needing that, 'cause graphics in-game will be very limited, no?

11. mattness

mattness New Member

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

A new isometric rpg engine would be easier if you also need to do the gfx (And it has the advantage that it can be a free, stand-alone game. Also, it can be open source, which is a very positive thing from the view of storytelling and size of game...).

13. mattness

mattness New Member

Playing Shadowrun is not fighting magic vs technology.
    Main players enemy are powers that be:
    - Corporations (they pollute the land, they use people - chew them and split them. Huge cities - so called sprawls, are divided on two districs - poors, without any rights, beaten by cops, vanishing without a trace (as kidney or heart donors for example), staring, in papers clothes... The only medical attention they can get is from so weird sect - Universal Brotherhood - that acts something like Salvation army and Hare Krishna)
    - Hostile factions (rouge shamans - so called toxic shamans - furious eco-terrorists), are often plotting
    - break and enter

Player is often raised on the street (in fact, gang member is one of starting characters). He's street mercenary, called shadowrunner. He acts beyond the law, often he's not in any database.
    His hired by Mr Johnson - anonymous middle man representig (often) corporation.
    Typical runs (missions) are - industrial sabotage, find somebody, kidnap somebody, kill somebody, find something (data / magical item etc).
    Johnson often doesn't telling the truth about shadowrun - player can be found by in the room police with smoking gun and dead body.
    Sometimes, the link between corporation (Johnson) and the street (shadowrunner) is fixer. Fixer arranges meetings for both parties on neutral ground. Fixer is a fence, or / and information broker, too

There are world saving mission, too. Normal people know about runners ("I saw great movie about shadowrunners last night. Williams was great as a street samurai"), but don't know how they life, and how they work. Sometimes shadowrunner is nothing more than a street thug, who break windows in grocery to collect money for a mob.

Frigo - all the best with you're project :)

14. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Yeah, I was just too lazy to read :p. I've moved it.
    Anyway, I'm not a storyteller so I certainly will need help.

15. seifer_md

seifer_md New Member

I was browsing the nma fallout forums when I came across your thread and read that you were interested in making a shadowrun mod for arcanum. I've heard that its a good engine for the shadowrun concepts but the graphics can be a bit of a let down (depends on how talented you are really). I personally tried to launch a shadowrun mod for the source engine awhile back but didn't get very far because of a lack of support and then university started up again... I've still got the small amount of work I did for it around here somewhere. Here's one model I made:

[​IMG]

Anyway I just wanted to wish you luck with the idea, I'd really like a reason to get my old arcanum cds out again ;)

16. reQuieM

reQuieM New Member

Just give a PM if you need any help with protoing, world editing, scripting, dialoging etc. I probably wont be checking back here so don't bother trying to contact me via post.

Our Host!