Current book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wayne-scales, Oct 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Not too sure if there was a thread about this before, but, assuming people at TA enjoy a good read from time to time, what book are you currently reading?

I, myself, just started reading James Joyce's Ulysses, having heard what a spectacular cunt of a challenge it is! So far, I've just accepted that it's a book that's way too deep for me to get completely from a first reading; but it's extremely funny, meaningful, and interesting. Definitely something I'd recommend.

What books are you guys reading?

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I just finished and wrote a critical review on Other Worlds, by Paul Davies. It's an exploration of quantum fields and superspace. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but his lack of explanation of time dilation while traveling at near light speed confused me.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Was that really necessary?

4. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading my Dungeon's and Dragons 4th Edition Player's Handbook 2.

Other than that I'm also reading the Desden Files books by Jim Butcher.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Edgar Allan Poe, Complete Tales and Poems. I'd never noticed before that Mr. Poe held such a grudge towards paragraphs.

6. Sjael

Sjael New Member

I'm reading A Clash Of Kings by George RR Martin.

7. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I am working myself through the last book in the "Dark tower" series by Stephen King.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I'm loving the Culture books by Iain M. Banks, starting with "Consider Phlebas."

"A spectacular cunt of a read."
    - New York Times.

9. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

"I shall wear Midnight"- Terry Pratchett. I only read it because I've already read the other 37 Discworld novels and what's the point of having a book collection if you haven't read them all?

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

There another Terry Pratchett out??? Cool, thanks!

11. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I am currently reading three books: 'The King in Yellow' by Robert W. Chambers, 'Dragons of the Vanished Moon' by Weis and Hickman, and 'Unseen Acadamics' by Terry Pratchet.

If I remember correctly, (but I am not that sure.) there will be another book with Sam Vimes and the Watch as the main characters.

12. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

What do you have against books, fascist?

I just finished Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. It focuses on one family's struggle to survive as the planet's climate drastically changes when a meteor strikes the moon, driving it into a tighter orbit around the Earth. It was recommended to me by my nephew and as it is geared toward young adult readers it may seem a bit shallow. I found it incredibly dull for at least the first half but it picked up considerably toward the end, enough so to change my opinion of the work, enabling me to recommend it.

I just started reading a graphic novel of the poem Howl. I'm not impressed; it reads like a children's book but with lines like "alcohol and cock and endless balls" I'd be hesitant to read it to any children.

I'm in the middle of Sean McMullen's Greatwinter Trilogy and look forward to beginning the final book once I abandon Howl. Take the technology of Arcanum and place it in the setting of Fallout and you have the feel of this series. The survivors of World War III are recreating technology as they continue to develop their individual societies. The first book takes place on Australia and centers around a woman who designs the first calculator, but technology being as primitive as it is the components of the calculator are people with abacuses. This character eventually reinvents radio communication and rediscovers North America.
    The second book takes place in North America as the Australians invade and try to subvert the the chivalrous societies that have been developed. In North America, wars are decided by dog fights of steam-powered aeroplanes and the Australians try desperately to steal this technology.
    I highly recommend this series.

I always recommend Mission by Patrick Tilley. It's about Jesus. This book is so good it's more important than stop signs.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

My eyes are burned out by the yellow.

Also, I'm currently reading "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons.

14. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too joyous if I were you. The book is part of the Nac Mac Feegles-series, which is written for young adults, those not having the same calibre as the other books written by Pratchett.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Actually I reckon Wee Free Men was a masterpiece, much better than his early ones. Also, Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos is AWESOME. He really is a motherfucking genius.

Check out Illium and its sequel too Muro. Its also good.

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Referring to the use of the word cunt. Such a filthy world, much like your mum's face.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You two are always cute when you argue.

I'm a big fan of anything by L.E. Modesitt Jr, and am currently reading The Octagonal Raven, a book which I haven't made up my mind on yet, and I'm already halfway through it.

Coincidentally, the best book I've ever read was The Parafaith War by the same author. Pick it up if you like philosophy in your hard sci-fi.

18. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Ah, I read the original post too quickly and missed that particular word. My apologies, Zanza.

Regarding the yellow, I figured my post would be too long for reading so I highlighted the main points in yellow. At least the weren't missed!

19. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I didn't really mean that about your mum, that was mean.

20. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm slowly working my way through Carpe Jugulum.

Our Host!