1. Please help us cover the costs of Terra-Arcanum's migration to Xenforo, Guest! More information is available here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking with HoL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Jul 14, 2019.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

SHOW ME! SHOW YOU! KIKKOMAN!
    ----
    Is this right?
    [​IMG]

Dark Elf likes this.
  3. Dark Elf

Media:
    You obviously know nothing about cooking. Let me break it down for you:

1) Heat goes under pan.
    2) Pan handle goes out in front of the stove.
    3) Kitchen is left unattended with equally unattended toddler.

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The yolk is still intact. This means you could serve Smuel's Egg Yolk Spooned Directly Into Your Mouth.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Smuel's Nourishing Slurry

Ingredients
    • 1 large or 2 small onions
    • 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
    • 1 whole broccoli
    • 3 large or 4 medium carrots
    • Half a small cabbage, or a third of a medium one
    • 4 large or 6 medium tomatoes
    • 6 to 8 large chicken thighs or drumsticks
    • 6 to 8 cups cooked rice
    • Salt

Method

Lay the chicken in a oven-proof tray or dish, and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until crispy and cooked through. You may want to line the dish with aluminium foil to make clean-up easier.

While the chicken is cooking, prepare the vegetables. The onion and garlic should be peeled, and sliced or diced. The tomatoes should be cut in half and have their inedible green stem-contact-point removed (that small tough bit where the tomato was attached to the vine). The carrots, brocolli and cabbage may need to be washed, and/or cut up into bits to make the next part easier.

Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven. The chicken pieces will probably be swimming in liquid, which is part oil and part water, with the oil on top. Spoon as much of the oil as you can into the largest saucepan that you have, then use it to fry the garlic and onion. Once the onion is soft and lightly golden, add the rest of the chicken liquid (think of it as stock, if that helps), all the vegetables, and enough water to come about half-way up the vegetables. Add a large spoonful of salt. Bring it all to the boil, then leave to simmer for an hour or so, until the thickest part of the broccoli is soft.

Once cooked, take the lid off, and leave to cool for a bit. There will be more liquid than you started with, because the tomatoes will have partly disintegrated. Pour the contents of the saucepan into a blender, and blend. You may have to do this in stages if your blender isn't big enough. If you don't have a blender, then I guess you could cut up all the vegetables into tiny pieces before cooking.

Once blended, add the rice, and stir. Add the chicken. You can either leave the chicken pieces whole, or tear them up into little bits, discarding the bones and skin.

You now have 4 to 8 servings of a complete meal, depending on your appetite. The slurry will last a week or so in the refrigerator. To serve, pour a serving-sized portion into a bowl, cover with a plate, and microwave until hot throughout.

Notes

For people who don't like cabbage, or broccoli, well it's a slurry so you won't necessarily be able to taste anything specific, but fine, use a different set of vegetables as the mood takes you.

The blending stage can be difficult if you only have an average sized blender, because it probably won't all fit. I usually blend half, and then pour it into a Tupperware container that I'm going to store it in. Then I blend the other half, and pour both halves back into the saucepan to mix together, this way I don't have to worry about getting a fair share of each vegetable into each blending half. It's also easier to mix the rice in when it's all in the large saucepan, rather than proportionally in containers.

For people who don't like eating the same thing for dinner for an entire week, don't make this.

Jojobobo, Jungle Japes and Dark Elf like this.
  6. Dark Elf

Media:

EDIT (longer answer):

Looks delicious, filling and healthy - and I definitely belong to the crowd that can eat the same dinner for a week, and often do. When I come home from work, I tend to be famished, and microwaving a pre-cooked meal is what I tend to default to, so I may give this a try.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
Our Host!