1. Please help us cover the costs of Terra-Arcanum's migration to Xenforo, Guest! More information is available here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking with HoL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of talk recently about the unworthiness of baguettes and pizzas recently, so I thought why not create a thread for worthy recipes? These should preferably be dishes you've come up with yourself, but really anything goes if you want to make me sad.

Without further ado, here's:

Jojobobo's hot and sour steak sauce

Background: I ordered a Chinese with a dish that was advertised as "hot and sour", but I found it to be disappointing on both fronts. From there I came up with a sauce that delivers on both those aspects, and most importantly contains chorizo.

This recipe is more than enough for two people, I'll usually have it with steaks one night and then pasta another.

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
    • 1 chorizo sausage
    • 2 sliced red peppers (bell peppers or sweet pointed peppers as you'd prefer)
    • 400g chopped tomatoes (tinned is fine)
    • 200mL red wine (or one of those miniature bottles at around 180mL. I usually use rioja)
    • 100mL red wine vinegar
    • 1 heaped teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika

Method:
    1. Chop the chorizo into around inch long pieces, then half each of those again. Dry fry the chorizo over a medium heat until golden, then add to a sauce pan. If cooking steaks reserve the chorizo oil for frying, otherwise discard.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce pan, bring to a boil and the cover with a lid. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours.
    3. Uncover and break up the chorizo further, using a potato masher or whatever else would be appropriate. You're looking to retain some meaty chunks of chorizo, but also to breakdown a fair amount so incorporates directly into the sauce.
    4. Simmer with the lid on for a further half and hour, the uncover and allow to reduce for about an hour (or for less, if you want a thinner consistency).
    5. Serve with tasty steak, pasta, or smothered all over your lover.

There we have it! I will guarantee deliciousness, and it doesn't really require much effort. More cayenne pepper or vinegar can be added to taste, however I'm wimpy with spice these days so I don't want much more than a bit of heat and the sourness works for me.

You could add more ingredients if you want (onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, etc.) but I like the simple smokiness of the sauce without complicating it further.

Now I've shown you mine, you show me yours!

Dark Elf likes this.
  2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I promise I'll show you my sausage the next time I go weekly shopping!

Jojobobo likes this.
  3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  4. Jojobobo

Well ordinarily I do fry with it, however I'm not sure how well it would keep. Seems like it could grow more easily bacterial, however I've not exactly made a study of it (and it's not like you have enough of a quantity to easily decant, just suitable for a single fry to be honest).

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  7. Jojobobo

So it's not so oily. You'll still have some residual oil in there anyway, which is enough for me personally.

I actually own this, it's one of the joke gifts me brother got me a few years back. I would dig Poo out to prove it, but I'm never a fan of digging out Poo (besides I have no idea where it is anymore).

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    See, if it were me, and bear in mind that I don't particularly like cooking, or food in general, but if it were me, I'd chuck a bit of cornstarch in there and mix it with the oil before adding all the other ingredients, so that it emulsifies in the water-based sauce, and also thickens it a bit. That way a) you can spend less time and money in step 4, b) you get more oily goodness in the sauce, and c) there is less waste in general so ytzk is happier.

9. Jojobobo

I'm fine making a roux normally for sauce thickening but honestly there isn't that much oil in the first place, and when you simmer for the 3 hours you will get a bit of reduction even with the lid on. An hour reduction is in step 4 is likely unnecessary for most people, I just like my sauces thick as fuck.

I can see what you're saying but I think a roux is overkill in this instance personally, and I don't think the sauce is particularly lacking in flavour that is would need additional flavouring in the first place (given chorizo is pretty potent).

On another note, here's the "best" cookbook I've ever seen:
    [​IMG]

I think me gifting my brother this was what cemented (semented?) our tradition of buying some sort of horrible gift for each other on birthdays and Christmases.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:46 AM
  10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    "Discard the excess oil so it's not so oily"
    "Honestly there isn't that much oil in the first place"

"I like my sauces thick as fuck"
    "A roux is overkill in this instance"

I mean, on the one hand I'm reluctant to nitpick in this thread since you're clearly just trying to do something nice for your only friends by posting a cool recipe on this forum. But on the other hand, certain standards of consistency and logic must be maintained. You have failed in this aspect, and therefore we must consider the entire thread, and perhaps your entire life, a failure by association. Future historians may very well trace the inevitable collapse of civilization back to the critical moment when Mr Joe J. Bobo failed to properly quantify a few millilitres of chorizo oil in his steak sauce recipe. Do you really want that on your conscience, Mr Bobo?

Our Host!