character help

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Demosthenes, Dec 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

my current techie is a learning gunsmithy and electrics. by using potions of intelligence he has learned gunsmithy up to the looking glass rifle and electric up to level 6. perception is 12, firearms is at level 3 with expert, prowling is at level 1 with apprentice. followers right now are jayna and magnus. i want to max perception, prowling, firearms, electric, and gunsmithy, but im not sure as to what order will benefit me most. i think he will get his intelligence up (right now its 8) but right now im not sure what order will help him the most. suggestions?

2. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Haggle

If you're going to be a firearm char, give a bit to haggle, because you'll be buying bullets all the time (unless you give a bit to explosives to make them by yourself). As for your choice for electricity; worths because of the Flow Disruptor shield, the regenerative jacket... or even better the Electro Armor, the charged sword, chapeau of magnetic inversion, Tesla Gun!!! But all these are a bit difficult to come by, so I'd say leave electricity for later.

Why you have 1 in prowling? Unless you're a thief it isn't that useful!

As for the NPC's as soon as you get Sebastian, make him join; the same to Franklin! Jayna is really useful for healing tech chars, but Magnus? Unless you're a melee fighter he isn't very useful except for the latter armors...

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

Re: Haggle

i have all of electrics known now and the tesla rod is nice. im off to tarant to make myself a tesla gun@ :D chapeau of magnetic inversion is very nice. all the stuff you need is at the inventors shop. as for prowling, one is prowl isnt that useful, but maxing prowl and getting mastership is (next time i level up i will use those points to up prowl to 3 and get expert). magnus will be kept until he learns eye gear becuase the +2 perception is good. jayna is in for a while too until sebastian comes along. with my healing jacket and awesome guns, i dont really need her that much...

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Re: Haggle

But you can find eye gear in the Black Mountain Clan mines, as well as steal another pair from Sebastian. Malcolm makes a good pack mule for a while, but he takes forever to learn anything decent, and by that time you should've already found it elsewhere (eye gear), or just plain outgrown it (auto skeleton key.... nice to have but not really necessary).

Bloody annoying little runt. :evil:

5. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I'd get the perception up so you can become a firearms master. Then work on everything else. (If you find it and could use it, buy the bullets schematic so you don't have to be constantly buying bullets.)

8)

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i got the bullets schematic (gunsmith in tarant always has it), but havent had a need for it. the looking glass rifle doesnt eat through my supply quickly at all. i just built the tesla gun and electro armor; both very sweet. i can deal with being lightly encumbered for the awesome bonuses the electro armor gives and the tesla gun is very nice. i still like the looking glass rifle, but im keeping the tesla gun as my primary weapon with the lgr as a back up. because of the tesla gun i think i may invest in chemistry up to charges so i dont have to buy them, but im not sure; i can get about 110 per day from inventors so it may not be worth it. anyone know how many charges you make with the schematic?

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

You make 50 out of one electrolyte solution and one metal plate. I didn't develop chemistry, just took Vollinger with me...
    Elektro armor? For a gunslinger? Why??? What incredible bonuses does it give for someone who shoots most enemies on sight? I could do with a featherweight or any other light chainmail (being a dwarf- a magic gnomish chainmail)

8. M.T.

M.T. New Member

Get a blessing from the Vendigroth Ruins god Voor... what his name was. +3 to Firearms. It'll save you points.

9. Canis

Canis New Member

Doesn't it take you, like, nigh upto the endgame to get the final blessing, or am I just being incredibly dense.

10. GiantRaven

GiantRaven New Member

the healing jacket is good for a technologist as is a charged ring

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Pretty near, but Vendigroth can be forced. :D

12. Val

Val New Member

I went for firearms first and then gunsmithy and then electrical. The reason was because I could use the guns and do descent damage in the beginning and then get better guns and the use the electrical and gunsmithy to make another gun.

13. Canis

Canis New Member

*bangs head on desk*

Howwwwwww????? I tried going to the coordinates once, before I was "supposed" to, but got nothing. :(

14. M.T.

M.T. New Member

I think what is meant by "forcing" is getting all the blessings of other gods, so he gives you a bonus rather than killing you. Because the riddle says "TAKES EVERYTHING" somewhere in the riddle unless "HIS CHILDREN KNOW"

15. Canis

Canis New Member

What?

No, that doesn't sound right.

Oh forget it, I always end up more confused than before when reading your posts. Take that as a compliment if you wish. :grin:

16. Gavla

Gavla New Member

No, he means going to teh coordinates early.

Perhaps you force it by going to an event in the storyline just one or two points before vendigroth.
    OR there's a couple of places between you need to force as well to set some flags

17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i guess the electro armor doesnt make much sense for my char right now. it was fun to wear, but my healing jacket should do well in its stead. im keeping the tesla gun, charged rings, and chapeau of magnetic inversion; what gloves, boots, and necklaces do you suggest?

he upped his strength to 11 to use the tesla gun and carry more stuff. now hes going back to upping perception and firearms.

18. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

Tesla gun?? if you can, try and find the blade launcher schematics in the Tarant shops, its hella better, plus, try and steal the Jewel of Hebe from the Panarii shrine, boots...decent tech boots, I never seem to worry about those, Chapeau isn't very useful to me, I go for the eye gear or goggled helmet, gloves...hmmm, all I can say is decent tech gloves, I never worry about that either, I think that should cover it for your charachter, happy sailing.

19. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm not sure if the blade launcher is better then Tesla. Electrical damage has its advantages, especially against armor wearing enemies. Plus the blade launcher's shot, just like an arrow or a throwing weapon, can hit your own followers when they get in the way (I happened to nearly kill Magnus this way). Tesla would probably be better if the charges were easier to buy. You can only buy 60 of them a day in Tarant and make 50 more yourself out of the electrolyte solution. Bullets are way easier to get (440 a day to buy in Tarant and 40-60 more to make- enough even for the ammo consuming mechanized gun).
    P.S. Don't get me wrong, blade launcher is one of my favourite weapons. I'm still hesitating between this wonderful weapon and fast, but unreliable shots of the mechanized gun.

20. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Forcing = getting there ahead of the plotline. You can force Vendgroth, but you might have to take off your helmet. Realy. Or wear Eye Gear or The Helm of Yacazar's Cost. And you must be dead on the coordinates.

I find 90 - 110 for sale at both the tech shop & the factory foreman most every day. You did know that the foreman runs a sideline in "industrial surplus"? & that, unlike shopkeepers he keeps his goods in his personal inventory? & that the five finger discount applies? (No haggle needed.)

Everywhere. Chain gloves, Dwarven Guantlets, War Guantlets, Machined Gauntlets, just take them off before visiting the foreman.

Our Host!