Character creation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by The Nocturnal Goatsucker, Aug 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Not so. I am finally learning to spell in my late 50s simply from the rapid correction of spell checkers, something that the teachers of my youth could not provide. I went back to college in my late 30s & early 40s. Before one quater was out, I was soaking it up as fast as I ever did. Need to go back again. School is fun.

Adaptibility is what you make of it. Some are ossified at 16, I always land on my feet & remain firmly iconoclastic. Believe three imposible things before breakfast. (Saves me from needing to watch the news.) Sometimes it seems as if every other '44 model is 10 - 15 years older than me, then I run across another young looking & seeming contemporary. It is always those with open agile minds. Those who are interested & courious.

O. K. more are unbendable as they age, but it don't have to happen.

2. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Did you do much reading while learning to read?? In my case, I was reaching for ANYTHING I could read while I was undergoing the process. Passing trucks, street signs, random periodicals, children's books, novels, and even television commercials did not escape my scrutiny. I do have more of a visual mind and I was constantly updating the spelling of words until I got the knack of how things were spelled. Maybe it is this updating process that didn't concern you as much.

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Except that 'gh' can only be a suffix and not a prefix to a word. Plus it's not actually an F or even a PH sound. It's a sound made at the back of the mouth, more like a CH than anything, but unique in it's own right. I'm guessing it has Germanic roots that bit of English.

I also can't see how 'oti' can be pronounced 'ish' in any form. Plus Mary, Marry and Merry are all individual pronunciations; it's the accent that clouds it. If you speak or understand the accent well you'll notice the difference in the pronunciation; hence they can all understand each other whilst others can't.

Plus the context of the word has to be taken into account. For example, you can't use a latin extention to spell a germanic base word because they don't fit together. Or something like that. It's been a while since I did any formal English...

4. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

You might as well advise him to move to Antarctica for the prodigious amounts of sunshine it receives half the year.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Chalupa, what the HELL are you on? That has nothing to do with anything at hand and is simply a waste of everyone's time. Stop writing senseless crap.

I wasn't chastising Shadygrove or insulting him or anything. I was stating my belief that the English language is more complex than he seems to believe himself. The majority of Shady's post I am in complete agreement with and just because two opinions differ on a minor point doesn't give you the right to insult one or the other at will.

If you can't be pleasant or constructive in a thread then just SHUT THE FUCK UP will you! Your offensive, arrogant and obnoxious crap is really pissing me off and I'm normally incredibly tolerant.

6. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

My gosh, man. That was an allusion to another of my posts (the one in the thread discussing the use of language; thus it's applicability to the thread at hand). It just goes to show that you HAVEN'T read all my posts or that you HAVEN'T been paying them enough mind (and mine WAS a recent post). Perhaps you don't see the humor in my remark but I suggest you keep trying to connect the two thoughts until you illicit a laugh. It might do you some good.

7. gargob

gargob New Member

Chalupa, I think Ferret's angry cause it's spam.

Strangely using my theory I'm about 90% correct most of the time. That's just an estimate. I'm not good at conversion to percentage my only weakness in Math besides pie graphs. :roll:

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well Americanlish is better than English anyway. You guys use too many'u's. What's with colour, and flavour. The only thing good to come out of England in the last 50 years are the Beatles and that girl that lives down the block from me. What was her name again...

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That AND Shakespeare's writing were not THAT far after colonization, I tend to group the AROUND the same time. Of course I'm talking about Columbus colonizing in 1492, only a few years before Shakespeare, as far as I know, British colonization came awhile AFTER Shakespeare's use of the hyphen.
    And Ferret a very profound point remains that, even if 'gh' is only used as a suffix, it isn't truly a sound made in the back of the throat, pronouncing it and 'ch' in comparison will show distinct differences. And don't you think that if a language is SO complex that you can only guess at any one particular word's origin and pronunciation, and spelling is often completely independent of pronunciation, that the language is far too complex to NOT be ridiculed. Perfect examples.
    The dove dove. The tree was cut down, while the paper was cut up.
    There are a million more, due to the ridiculous complexity of the English language, which is why I much prefer grunting and pointing at stuff.

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ladies and gentlemen, we seem to have quite a conundrum here. On one side, we have people claiming that brittish english, being the mother of all modern derivatives of the language, is by far the most superior way of making oneself understood by vocabular means. On the other side, we have people that consider that kind of lingo old-fashioned, meaning that everyone should do it the American Way.

Let's just settle this. Can't we just agree that everyone speaks Swedish instead? Consider the advantages. We'd end the langual feud between America and England (possibly avoiding a full-scale nuclear war), and perhaps foremost of all, life would be a hell a lot easier for me on this forum :D .

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Lol elf
    Full-scale nuclear war though? I don't know about that, I think it would just be kind of like 10 marines landing in London and taking over.

12. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Kind of hard to do it any other way.

Uh... I am enslaved to the printed word to this day. Its still like that for me.

No, it's that visual mind thing. I referenced that earlier. Those who can remember the picture of the word, don't have to memorize the spelling. It is also, as I said, partialy my own impatience. I was way to bright to study, even the few things I realy should have.

Talking about pronoucation & the lack of consistancy in it in english. Prefex / suffox clouds the issue.

When I say either, with my generic notrh east accent, they both sound like an F, both land my top teeth on my lower lip & curl the mid toung toward the hard palatte. Is that a Brit / Yank thing? You do pronounce those extra "u"s after all.

The ti comes from words like nation. I forget where the o comes from, but there are more than a few words where the o sounds like the i in fish. Seek & ye shall find. Or let me sleep on it & I may remember.

I said that. Take my word for it, context is everything in vowel poor regons of the states. I can still nail all three, but after living in the northwest for so long, I do have to think about it. But I was talking about pronuncation being NO guide to spelling. Regonial accents make it even worse. We have over 15 vowel sounds in english, but in parts of the country, they are down to 8 or 9.

13. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Sweden's a nice place, but come on! The language sounds so FUNNY and many words are too long!

14. gargob

gargob New Member

Did you ever think that maybe they think English sounds funny. :roll:

15. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Yes, but English doesn't sound funny to me. It sounds guttural and abrupt but not so much as German.

16. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Provided you can even FIND it. :lol: You do know London is the capital of England don't you? You also realise that most Americans, in a survey done within the last 5 years by some American institute or other, think that England is in London? :D

That is fair enough then. I was just trying to point out that you can't argue prenunciation of things that can't be used in a certain way.

I guess it's regional. We get regional variations here too which have that effect. Us southerners pronounce most things as a unique variation, where we find that many northerners pronounce many different variations all the same. The accent kind of smooths over all the subtleties in the language. However it is supposed to be pronounced differently, although to be honest, it's not usually because people are getting lazy.

Ah... that's another one of those context pronunciations. You cannot call TI as SH unless it's also with that ON. It just doesn't get pronounced that way.

I think basically I misunderstood what most of your post was about. I have to agree that regional accents smooth over or ignore major rules of grammar and pronunciation. I stand by my pronunciation in context bit though. :)

17. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

England is in London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, and Leeds. Surveys are subjectively objective.

18. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I thought Birmingham was the capital of London and that Manchester was a seperate country? Like Cornwall. :lol:

19. PhoenixUltima

PhoenixUltima New Member

I just thought I should mention; when you use unlocking cantrip, your character makes noise, NOT the target being unlocked. This means you can unlock stuff silently simply by standing a good distance away from anyone who'd hear you and have at it. Fun for unlocking stuff on the docks in tarant and caladon. You can even do it in broad daylight.

20. Canis

Canis New Member

Oh come off it, PU, on-topic posts are like SO two months ago.

Yes yes yes, that's almost as funny as when the Royal Marines accidentally invaded Spain last year. :p

Our Host!