Character builds that are UNIQUE and FUN TO PLAY

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by I Know All About Arcanum, Oct 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Who posted the most unique and fun to play build?

1. I Know All About Arcanum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dark Elf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Magikarp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MiniSkirt and Legs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bane of Kree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (specify in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. None of the Above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Muro

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. I Know All About Arcanum

I Know All About Arcanum New Member

This is different from the other character builds threads because in this one we emphasize builds that are unique and fun to play.

I'll start:

Half-Ogre Mage who uses Sogg and Chukka as followers, and uses the summoning college to summon up to 5 Ogre warriors in battle.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Flattering how "Muro" is below the "None of the Above" option.

The Half-Ogre IKAAA mentioned is a character I will have to try out sometime. Sounds fun indeed. The player, Sogg and Chukka will have to wear chainmails or platemails too, needless to say.

Here's one from me: A "Sold Your Soul" mage walking around with a permanently summoned demon. The PC would have to take care of the demon, heal and protect it, because from the roleplay, all of his power comes from the demon but - at the same time - the demon's death would be equal to the destruction of the player's soul.

The idea seems entertaining, but at the same time it would be a rather strange game, seeing how most (if not all) NPCs refuse to talk with you when you have a summoned demon at your side. Still, I think I will give it a go one of these days.

3. RunAwayScientist

RunAwayScientist Member

4. OdiProfanumVulgus

OdiProfanumVulgus New Member

Here's my build,

The Pied Piper of Shrouded Hills

Get your elven mage to level 15, and let him study meta magic, so he can cast reflective shield. Also teach him the basics of the College of Nature, so he can mind control animals.

Once you're ready, head toward the south of Shrouded Hills, near the smith's workshop. There should be plenty of chickens there, permanently control lots of them. You now have a chicken army. Try your best not to lose it : you could either heal the cute little fowls, or hasten them, or whatever.

No direct damage spells allowed... you're a Pied Piper, not a vulgar necromancer or elementalist. Show some respect for your noble art !

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

This character made me laugh the most, especially the reaction of shopkeepers:

"You are... What are you?"

Halfling Barbarian, but with the Shrink spell cast on himself constantly.

Its funny to watch and I liked roleplaying him as Scottish and very angry.

6. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

How about this one?

Pit Fighter turned Diplomat

A Raised in the Pits male Elf with maxed out Charisma and Persuasion. You still can't get certain quests unless you cheat and use Essence of Intellect, but it's amazing how persuasive you can be while using dumb dialogue.

The responses from NPCs are all over the board, from patient to exasperated. This adds to the fun sometimes.

7. Contemptus

Contemptus New Member

My friend decided to play the character Loki from the movie dogma.

In the movie, the character slaughters all evil people, and left all the neutral/good people alone. So he learned sense alignment, got a flaming sword and some gun skills, and proceeded to eliminate evil all throughout Arcanum. Any evil characters were killed, and all good characters were spared, no matter the consequences. I thought it was a very fun and unique twist on a standard playthough.

I personally love role playing absolutes like this. I'm currently playing a solo half-orc bandit background, gunslinger/tech with some gambling, but I NEVER take any polite/apology/work it out dialogue options to people who insult me. If they aren't nice or at least neutral to me, they are probably going to be insulted, because I match any insult with the appropriate response, RP wise. This results in many fights in areas which are not normally meant to be difficult, because a half-orc bandit is severely handicapped in social skills. I have cheated and worn the smoking jacket a lot in Tarant. I suppose a "true" bandit wouldn't care what others thought, and would just wear his studded leather full time.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Contemptus now makes me want to play a dark elf who slaughters all technologists indiscriminately.

9. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin New Member

Some really cool ideas in this thread.

The Ogre summoning thing would work nicely with a Gnome (who would quite naturally have Half Ogre bodyguards).

The Pied Piper should tame rats and rodents though I like the idea of the Chicken tamer of Shrouded Hills.

I may try what Contemptus suggests with a gnome following the logic that playing a diminutive psycho is more fun than playing a big one (I may nickname him "Big One" to make it even better).

What about a Dorian Gray character? Maxed out Beauty and the Sold your Soul background. Plenty of Charisma to boot and some devious talents. This character would pay attention to his clothes and avoid unflattering armours and crude clothing. The lines chosen should also reflect the sense of propriety and class of this character.

Another idea that could be nice is a Mesmero-like character with a focus on Willpower to max the Mental and Meta line in order to get an army of followers. This may be quite ironic RPwise with a character who has a low Charisma

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I had to include this one, just invented for hexperimenting with magick and technology together, as it turned out to be the weirdest and funnest I've played so far.

Using the level cap remover, an Human, Idiot Savant with maximum Intelligence, every spell AND every tech college.

He gets the dumb dialogue, which rules, but his journal is perfectly literate. This is unique and fun to play, but the funniest thing is that, with his net magickal affinity of 92%, he summons a forest ape which I made permanent and call Mister Beanie.

I'm thinking of making Mr Beanie invisible and roleplaying that he is this insane character's imaginary friend.

11. Contemptus

Contemptus New Member

Now THAT is RP. This thread has inspired me to pull my old computer out of storage and check out all my old RP ideas I had back then. I remember a non-killing character named Ghandi, about halfway through the game with 0 kills, some characters ripped from other RPGs, etc. If I find anything extremely interesting I'll share. I do remember one game with the two characters from pulp fiction in black suits, replacing the main character and virgil with Travolta/Jackson heads, and editing Virgil's level up scheme to max firearms. They also only used pistols and shotguns, as an reference to their line "we should have fuckin' shotguns for this."

I like playing as a character from some other story that got dropped into arcanum, but my biggest difficulty is that a truly evil character would have just said I don't care about this stupid ring, and go about their evil ways.

12. General Mandible

General Mandible New Member

Using ytzk's magic tricks (thank you for that, by the way), I made a character named Claude Rains and made him permanently invisible. I also did it to Virgil since I'm starting the Society of Invisibles. I made him good at sneaking and backstabbing. I need to kill people since I can't talk to them! Some people just talks to you anyway, though.

Using the permanent Dominate Will you could also reverse the Gnome with Half-Ogre bodyguards and have a Half-Ogre with a lot of little bodyguards around.

Some really good ones here, I have to try some one day.

13. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

You'd have to slaughter all major cities and even towns, excluding Qintarra, T'Sen-Ang and possibly Dernholm.

Which gives me an idea to do so... I've never played a brutal, ruthless character before.

14. General Mandible

15. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I believe it's one of the different summons for some kind of alingment. You are aware that some summons vary with the caster's alignment, right? I'm thinking a Forest Ape might be a more or less neutral summon.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It's the Nature spell which, at 100% magick affinity, provides the legendary Vorpal Bunny. At around 80%, you summon an ape.

Do you really summon different critters with different allignments? Cool.

Edit: I can't find mention of this in the archives. Can anyone tell me which critters are different with which spells and which allignments? If not I shall hexperiment and report.

17. General Mandible

Cool. I didn't know that. I think whenever I had nature spells (that high, anyway) I'd been cheating and probably had it at the same magick affinity. Didn't know about the alignment either. Awesome.

18. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Summon Undead summons different creatures based on your magick aptitude, not sure about alignment.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to disappoint you, gentlemen, but your excitation seems to be misplaced.

Succour Beast, Summon Undead, Familiar - these spells summon the exact same creatures no matter if cast by a character with +100 or -100 alignment. Checked, confirmed. Magickal Aptitude is the only factor that matters here.

20. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I plan to play a cursed character. He starts with some kind of cursed background, achieves a few curses from characters by behaving like a fool, betrays gods so he will be blessed with suck, uses only cursed equipment :D
    But of course he will try to avoid any stackable or imbalanced curses that makes his life impossible.
    All this on normal or hard difficulty, with absolutely no cheating or exploits.

Our Host!