Cast Desintegrate on object: "Drog Black Tooth"

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Muro, Oct 18, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

So why has our local tattooed smoker shared the fate of Bree Van De Kamp and GarmGarf's first incarnation?
    I don't know how you did it, DF, but I'm impressed.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

We don't know, we're looking in to it.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The UAP changelog and extra content pages aren't working, whetever the reason is behind it. Not sure if it's a side effect of deleting Drog's account, an additional delete operation which was done lately or if it was like that for a longer time without me noticing it, but I thought it's worth mentioning since it may be relevant to the main subject.

4. Xz

Yeah, we noticed, I suspect Drog may have deleted his own account and content and left.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I didn't want to sound too much like a conspiracy theory lunatic, but since you already mentioned it, I do admit I did consider the same explaination as true, keeping in mind that it wouldn't be the first time Drog would reject TA. Be it forum suicide or an act of sabotage, I was just suprised that the UAP wasn't deleted from the download section as well if so much has been done already.

The last significant discussion Drog took part in was the whole gravedigging & banning subject. Is the said thread the most propable reason that would make him, somehow, feel that this is not his place, or was there a behind-the-scenes top secret event, about which I can't ask because I would have to be assassinated if I knew the truth? Not that the way I ask about it guarantees an honest answer.

6. Xz

There isn't one, but if there were, I would've said the same thing as I am now.

7. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Suspicious now.

I did have an argument with him over the Chinese vs. Uighur matter though. Assuming that was the problem, if I knew it would be a problem, I would have quit the forums myself. He's contributed here far more than I, after all (bad to even compare).

We'd need some way to contact him to find this out though. Anyone know his mail address or another means of communication?

8. Xz

I read that argument, I don't think that's why he left. He seemed to not want to talk about it, and the argument stopped, and he went on wit his usual business. I think he left when we undid his banning of DF.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I daresay there was more than one event that led to Drog's going AWOL, if my ability to read people is even remotely accurate. He's seemed very... angry... as of late. I guess we should be thankful that more damage wasn't done.

10. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Unless my abilities to spell fail me, DBT is no longer a member here. I think I've taken out another administrator from this place...

Pretty soon I think I'll be hunting the tree.

It's kinda sad, tbh, I liked DBT. He contributed some amazing things to this community.

11. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, he also did my work for me in the DL section sometimes. So can someone give me the short version of why he left ?

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Issues with bannings and unbannings and the reasons for same, and some behind-the-scenes stuff that I'm not at liberty to even mention because I value my breathing priviledges.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The whole situation reminds me of "Love's Disappearance" from GTA III. It leaves the same "But, but...what the hell?" aftertaste.

Nowadays it's impossible to play Arcanum without seeing at every turn a fruit of Drog's great work. The fact that he left is a shame, and so is the way he did it. Leaving without goodbyes? Strange, but OK, he has the right to do so. Deleting his account? Well that looks like an example of a not-that-mature burning-one's-bridges-behind-him behaviour. Deleting the UAP changelog/Virgil's debug menu download source? Now that's just acting like a dick*. And if any of the things mentioned in the thread is the reason behind the situation, calling the reaction an oversensitive one would be an euphemism.

Nonetheless, it's still a great pity. I had a thing or two (or three [or four]) I wanted to ask him "whenever I'll recollect them while being on the forums". It seems he has left the Codex as well, so we may very well never hear from him again. Unless one day he'll decide to return in one way or another, but by that he would admit that deleting his account was a mistake, and he may be too proud to do that.

* Yes, I know that every patch and hack he made is rightfully his and he has the right to do whatever he wants with them, but after unleashing them upon the world, all those things became a gift from Drog to the Arcanum community, so making any hindrances after the said release is just rude.

14. Xz

15. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories or actually giving a shit about the course of peoples' decisions, but keep in mind there might have been other factors, aside from the recent argument about forum rules and ethics and his overzealous enforcement of both.

Like getting a life or a job maybe. Or simply getting fed up with this shit and not willing to put up with people asking him to stay/come back/continue picking through the code and fixing bugs.

Although leaving like that does leave a bad aftertaste, especially his folding of his subdomain here which was in fact useful to the community, as well as a display of his achievements throughout the years.

Oh and just in case, don't forget his drama thread... He might just be trolling again. He always had a taste for troll snacks.

16. Xz

You think he'd give up his admin position to troll?

17. Viqsi

Viqsi New Member

drog.terra-arcanum.com points to a different IP (although not too different - it's literally off by 1), and the front page of same is now showing the RHEL Apache test page. It's dead, Jim.

Are folks going to have to reconstruct the data therein, or is this expected to end up like his prior "quit the interwebs forevar" moments? If need be, there's copies of the changelogs in the High-Res patch and UAP, so there's your starting point...

...that said, personally, if I was in charge I would have quietly made regular backups of everything on that subdomain just in case, given that he's pulled this kind of mishegaas before. Alas, I have yet to conquer the world... or even make it past 20 posts here, for that matter.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Sad but hey upon reading previous rants I'm not surprised, anyway seeing though I never installed his patch and stuff, is it still around or have I missed out for good?

19. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

Self-serviant asshole and his awesome patch...

Kind of reminds me of Michael Jackson. You don't really like the guy, but who doesn't enjoy a little Thriller now and again?

I'm sure someone here can e-mail it to you, but it's interesting to note that the admins, although I'm sure they have all of his uploaded files on hand, don't replace the links. Are you all just trying to be gentlemanly or something?

20. Xz

All his uploads can still be found in the download section, if I'm not much mistaken. We're looking into restoring drogs site, but we don't know f anyone has any backups of it.

So we're not being gentlemanly, we're being lazy.

Our Host!