Can a Magic user wear armor with tech\gears symbol?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Howard Stern, Jan 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

I wanted to know if you want to be strictly a magic user can you wear armor or use a weapon that has that tech\gear type symbol when you scan over it, or will that screw up your tech\magic aptitude? Like a lot of Platemails and those metal boots are examples of armor with that tech\gear symbol.

Also will equipping your followers with those items affect your tech\magic aptitude?

2. Phadech

Phadech New Member

They don't change your aptitude but you may have a chance of extra critical failure depending on your (magickal) aptitude. Additionally, if they have a stat bonus (Charged Ring has +2 dexterity, Eye Gear has +2 perception...) you won't receive it, or you'll receive it partially.

Your followers' items won't effect YOU, only them.

3. Howard Stern

Howard Stern Member

so equipping my followers with full tech gear wont affect me? I thought if there was too much tech around me, it would affect my magic.

But they do sell armor with the tech symbol at magic armor shops, so I guess I can use them. I just hope the penalties are not significant.

4. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

normal armor such as chainmail vulgaris or platemail has a small mechanical aptitude. and even if you're 100% magic, the failure chance won't be too big.

it won't affect your aptitude nor it will affect your follower's aptitude.

why would anyone want to use that kind of armor?

there are much better items in the game.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Basically it is good to wear magic or neutral stuff when having MA, and tech or neutral when your on the tech side. And to keep the same rule for magic/tech followers. Simply because cool magic stuff will lose their bonuses for techies, and there's no sense in increasing the chances of having a critical failure by any rate. It's more natural to stick to your choice of magic/tech.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If you really want to wear both, you'll have to walk the line of a neutral magick/technology path. Which is lame and I can't say I recommend it, although it does make for an interesting roleplay.

Our Host!