Breaking news; the tea party is retarded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Jan 8, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Also for the record: I actually do kind of covet that trophy.

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    That's why death isn't considered a destination, and a journey isn't a good metaphor for life.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Extra! Extra! Englishman rules all journeys as tedious chores! Abolishes life is journey metaphor!

Lesser races, update your dictionaries!

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Okay, fine - poetry and metaphor, song and dance, tra la la. But you can't have it both ways - you can't use a journey as a metaphor for life and then turn around and say "therefore journeys are more important than destinations", because it wasn't a real journey - IT WAS ONLY A METAPHOR.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

No no.

Life is a journey. That's one adage.

Journeys are more important than destinations. That's another one.

They are not progressive steps in a logical argument.

You say, on the other hand, "journeying sucks and only destinations matter THEREFORE life is not a journey."

Not only do I disagree with your premise, but your conclusion as well: whether or not you think you're going anywhere important, you are going.

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've only said that MOST journeys suck, and that therefore this:

... is an incorrect statement.

It's also the kind of cod-philosophy that people love to spout but which doesn't actually mean anything.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Egads! You are obtuse but not stupid, so I think it's either deliberate provocation or cultural myopia. Maybe both.

Btw, I hope someone's keeping count of my victorian slang.

Also, zounds!

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Obtuse? Two months in the hole!

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

10. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Didn't you guys listen? I ruled out both your opinions with my own.

Equally important you fagts.

/thread

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Actually that was how I phrased it the first time.

'as important'

You fagt (is this a foreign word? I hope it's a compliment!)

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

How did you misread my question as anything other than what you now understand I was saying?

I also never said the destination wasn't important, so you need to stop putting words in my mouth, just as I've stopped doing that with you.

Things that affect you aren't important? Maximal (hehehe...Transformers) or minimal, the affect is there, and the effect is important. Take how any of our discussions went before this one;

Would how I behaved in any previous discussion affect how you approached this one? And wouldn't that affect be important in that you now approach anything I say so incredulously you have no inference as to what sense I make?

You're going to need to tell me how any affective process isn't important. It changes how you see things and how you do things. If I was to clumsily grab the stem of an uncut rose, I'd quickly learn not to do that again because of how little I enjoy thorns in my palm. Taking things for granted and minimalizing the effect doesn't mean something isn't important, unless you choose to denigrate the importance of something based relatively on two separate things. Experience is always important, it can harm or heal you. Anything that will affect you, be it a choice or an action, is important.

Your lips are cracked and you smell like crumpets. We still do not agree, no first base.

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

fagt, short for faggot. Take it any way you want it.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Do crumpets smell bad? They look pretty tasty and pleasantly smelling on Google Images.

15. Grossenschwamm

They smell delicious, Muro. I just prefer not to smell food on people as I kiss them.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

That's totally fagt talk.

There you go, I've used it correctly in a sentence. And now I never want to do so again. Sorry, Gross, that was very offensive.

I knew what you meant, Wobbler, I was being facetious because, I don't know about sweden but the use of the word here is limited to fucktards, rednecks and repressed homosexuals, and often they are all the same individual.

17. Grossenschwamm

Nah, it's cool. Totally fagt talk, given the context of my statement.

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Not everything is important. In fact, the word "important" expresses a relative level of significance. If everything were equally important then the word "important" would be meaningless.

Examples of levels of importance:

Breathing - extremely important. If I don't breathe, I will die.
    Writing this post - not at all important. Nobody cares whether I write it or not. Not even I care that much.
    Getting to work every day - quite important. I need to earn money to live, however, I could get another job if necessary.
    How I get to work - not as important. It really doesn't make that much difference to my job whether I drive or walk to get there. Or, given that I now walk, whether I take route A which is noisy or route B which is quieter but takes about 30 seconds longer.

Just because something affects you, it doesn't automatically make it important. Everything affects you to a greater or lesser degree, but not all of those effects are equally important. Some of them are not important at all.

Probably, but you would likely say that having the discussion is more important than reaching an agreement. In fact, you're such a strong believer in this principle that you will carry on arguing about things that we already agree on. Whereas I find it more important to successfully explain our points of view and reach an understanding. Agreement is the "destination", if you want to use a silly metaphor.

But according to your logic, if we already agree and don't need a discussion to realise it, then our viewpoints must not be worth holding in the first place, because "What's the point of having a view, if the discussion used to get there has no significance?" That makes no sense to me.

Everything affects you, but some things affect you more than others, so some things are more important than others.

Are you sure, baby?

19. Grossenschwamm

Hey, whatever. You won't see things the way I do unless you live my life, and vice versa. I agree to disagree. No kisses, though.

20. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

That's a true shame; I was hoping you'd be all like this.

Our Host!