Bloody Hell! This is Bloody Awesome!

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Caltrop, Nov 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

I didn't know they were makin' a sequal! (of course, i knew they should...) I'm just so bloody happy! Hurray! *runs around a bit, as blue foam starts coming out of mouth* Alright...I'm okay... Yea. Okay, some of my suggestions for the new game:

1. MORE CHARACTER CUSTIMIZATION: Portraits are great, but i'd like to actually alter my char's in-game avatar! Also, more backround choices, or the option to write your own backround. Also, there should be female dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and half-ogres. And maybe your character could have some sort of personality (i dunno howit would be implemented)?

2. STRONGER GUNS- I mean, c'mon, the guns in Arcanum 1 sucked. Really sucked. I mean like, totally sucked.

3. NAMING YOUR OWN WEAPONS: I dunno about you, but i've always wanted a huge-ass sword call 'Excalibur'...but maybe that's just me.

4. MORE VOICEOVERS: I loved the voice-acting in Arcanum 1. It was high-caliber stuff. But there wasn't enough of it. I would love if EVERY creature that possesses some level of sentience should have a voice-over when you talk to them. Giving townsfolk a single generic voice would be fine with me, though.

5. MORE QUESTS: 'nuff said.

6: MORE CURSES/BLESSINGS: self explainitory.

7: MORE GODS/GODDESSES/HIGHER POWERS: kinda obvious.

8: MORE POLITICS: Yea, it was fun getting Caladan to join the U.K., but... there wasn't really any effect other then all the gold i got. Actions of such political magnitude should somehow effect the game. I would like to see succession of leaders.

9: GENDER SWITCHING/BODY SWAPS: Yea, its kinda wierd... but it would be kinda funny watching your once manly-man dwarf tryin' to act all lady-like as an elven princess in the courts of Qintarra. Or some sort of event like this... Maybe as a quest or curse?

10: ANOTHER CONTINENT: Do I really need to explain this one?

Please feel free to comment on my suggestions!

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    First off, let me tell you that I'm horribly sorry for crushing your dreams, but currently we don't know of any plans for an Arcanum sequel.

The only official statement on this matter is this one (quoted from Troikas own FAQ):

Reference: http://www.troikagames.com/faq.htm#D

Again, sorry for that. The reason for this forums existence is currently to have a place for us to dream on at. :/

Very true, and now when they've gone and made ToEE, I'm sure Arcanum2, if it ever makes it out, will have a much greater range of customization than what's available today. The personality sounds tricky though - I guess it would be better if we just roleplayed a personality the old-fashioned way. Of course, the options for that could be more streamlined...

True. Look at the thread below yours.

Also a feature I would like. People here have made threads for an enchant feature from time to time. That's a solid idea, and if you could enchant your equipment, then why not be able to name your stuff?

Pretty self-explanatory, yeah.

Maybe as a piece of enchanted equipment? Like a ring or something? Wasn't it a ring in BG2 that did this?

Gah, you're weird! :lol:

Might as well be a necessity for a new plot.

3. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

No Sequal!

Egads! Hmph... Well, I suppose it was pretty well recieved... i guess. But just in case....

"Randvar!"

'Yes, father?'

"Get me Harrow, I'm gonna go exile myself!"

'Yes father, right away father!'

4. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, no need to exile yourself over such a thing. It's quite easy to miss the description of this forum, especially when you're in such a rush of joy when you're under the impression that your favourite game of all times is getting a sequel.

I really hope we get an official statement soon... for better or for worse.

5. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

Aww... and I've already made my little cavern all nice and cozy... poo. I guess I'll have to come out now. :/

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

hey look on the bright side, you would have to get out in order to eat anyway.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh, that wouldn't be necessary, The Dredge is full of those Granite Rats. Just let 'em taste Harrow and the dinner's fixed.

Albeit... Harrow is such a worthless axe you might end up as ratfood instead. :roll:

I've begun to fear that Arcanum 2 never makes it though. If you look at the statement I quoted above, they say that Sierra wants to wait and see how the game is being received. Well, it has gone like two years now, they should know by now.

On the other hand, Troika has been pretty busy the last two years, developing two games and all that.

Context of the rambling: One should never loose hope, or some other nice-looking, meaningless retorical sentence.

8. Samwise

Samwise New Member

You can write your own backgrounds. I've made a few myself. Try the Tinkerer's Workshop section of the Dimensions of Arcanum website.

9. Hydro Optics

Hydro Optics New Member

10. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Don't post in a thread if it's this old and no, there's not going to be an Arcanum 2.

11. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I've come to seriously question the importance of this. While this is fun to do in ToEE it bears no importance to the game that i can recall. No doubt character creation, and its associated customization, is important, but some things seem more like a session of Dolly Dress Up than anything actually relevant. I'm usually a cynic when comes to these things, so maybe this is teh futchor! for character creation, and i'm just attached to the concept that character creation should handle whats really important.

Possibly, yes. Don't see a problem there :)

They already do - the one you create yourself by playing. :)

Attaching a personality system to a character is rarely done, and done well. I remember Wizardry 8 allowed players to decide a character's personality, but this was not only superficial (albeit fun), it only revolved around having soundsets for the characters to blurt out at given ocasions. Having them be a cynic, a scholar, a low-intelligence brute, and other things was fun, but it didn't mattered because i was at the helm all along.

Strangely i found that some were overpowered (like the Looking Glass Rifle pre-patch), and the rest were adequate enough for the tasks at hand. The problem seemed that there were many weapons which ended up doing similar damage outputs between themselves, which defetaed the purpose of having different weapons altogether.

Hmm... the point of naming weapons is to call them by an original name, don't waste the ability on giving it cliche, used-to-hell names :)

But naming weapons, i think, should be restricted to a possible weapon crafting system. Naming something you create is more interesting to the player.

I thought the voices were barely passable. Strangely enough, i found them better than ToEE's, for that matter. But a voice for every character is a bit overkill. A voice is only attributed to characters who are important, and rightly so. If you've questioned yourself as to why this is done, its because things like town NPCs aren't important, and players rarely strike up conversations with them. So the end question would be, why bother fleshing out something the majority of players doesn't care about?

As long as they're balanced...

That tends to happen because major changes to the political structure of a country usually don't happen in the blink of an eye. Even if it's a game, it'd be weird if it happened in a very short moment. What could happen were gradual changes if the player was given the ability to live in the gameworld for several years.

:eek: No comments there.... but feel free to live your gender switching fantasies in the Baldur's Gate games with the Girdle Of Masculinity/Feminity.

Is this really necessary? Arcanum already managed to pull of the concept of the discovery of new places without resorting to using a new continent. This really depends. There are games where you can explore different cultures without needing to play Christopher Columbus, and Arcanum is one. You have the modern social aspects of Tarant, which represents an outlook into the future of the game's civilization; you have other cities which still feel like medieval centres; you have dwarven and elven cities; more animal cultures like that reptilian race i can't remember the name now :/ All this without another continent.

Done :D

12. Rogan

Rogan New Member

Character customization...hmm..
    You can replace the portrait with pic
    (I took photo of meself and put it to the game... Ick.)

Our Host!