Best race to play?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Solaris, Apr 6, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

What is your preferred race in Arcanum?

Personally, I tried to play half orcs and was seriously frustrated. You get attacked for no reason when you just talk to people, and the only legitimate self-defense seems to be running like hell- if you fight back- the whole town goes after you. The poison resistance bonus is totally useless. The beggars can blackmail you as they please, because if you don't give them money, they attack. No thanks.

Half-ogres are quite cool, except that making a serious mage or techy out of them is problematic, because of low starting INT, and I don't like walking the middle ground. I am yet to find out whether they can reach 20 INT, so I could play a half-ogre blacksmith.

Elves make excellent mages, with high starting MA. I like playing them when I need pure spellcasters. DX bonus is also nice.

Halflings are ideal ranged attackers- gunslingers, archers, throwers. +2DX bonus rules.

Gnomes- great for playing evil. The worse you behave, the more they love you. Beggars fall in love with you when you insult them- how cool is that? Also a fine race for battlemages- ST20 is enough, and high starting WP helps learn spells.

Half-elves- fine battlemages.

Humans are boring. Does anyone even play humans?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You sure there ain't a way? I think they could reach 20 Int if they had the Sickly background. It raises the cap you know (won't bring it over 20 though).

Really, I've quit caring about races contra professions for the most part. With the right background, you can do anything anyway. You see, elf is quite obviously my favorite race, and with the right background, I could be a 20 ST melee brute if that's what I wished for. Or whatever else that suited my fancy.

I do. :)

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well, of course there is a way. It just costs, character point vise.

You could. The question is those advantages that remain when the character is fully developed. Like being able to boost up your DX to 22. Or the overall gameplay "smoothness".

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Half-Elves is definetively the best race.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

No way, Human is the best race. No debilitating problems to hold you back, and you've got plenty of room to breath if you decide to switch your character's skill focus 1/ way through.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    That's the essence of humans in fantasy game worlds - they have the advantage of not having any disadvantages. Every path, be it warrior or mage, is equally viable for them.

The diversity comes at a cost though - humans are seldom or never the best choice for any class, because they lack the specific advantages of the other races. They have to settle for second best.

Sometimes, I think humans are boring. I mean, I see them every day... what's the fun in that?

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

In 3rd edition DND you get that extra feat... But yeah, I jsut never pick anything too extreme, f I'm going to use a fighter, I go with either a dwarf or a human, if I'm going to go for a thief or mage, I go with an elf, and if I'm going to go druid or ranger, I'll probably go with either an elf or a half elf. I've never layed as a paladin, or as a cleric, and I probably never will.

In Arcanum though, I dunno, I still haven't beaten it lol. May be I should keep my mouth shut. I've only played as a few different characters, but I like the human the best just because of that whole neutral aspect.

8. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I like ahlf-orcs. They're great for roleplaying. Apart from that, human.

9. Baal

Baal New Member

I stick with my standards. An Elf is the best thief/assassin and dwarfs are the best technologists or warriors, except that dwarfs ware small armor witch sucks. But half/Ogres aren't bad warriors I found machined gauntlets or the ones from Vendigroth to be the best melee weapon for them.

All together I find the Elf/Mage to be best.

10. Wolf

Wolf New Member

A good combo is a half-ogre with 20 ST with a fine steel dagger. Real fast in realtime, plus yo u do 18 damage.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, it's sure harder to find decent small armors, not to mention the large ones. That's why Smithy and Mechanics are such cool disciplines.

No, a good combo would be a half-ogre with 24 ST, 20 DX, Staff of Xoranth and Temporal to the top. That's bad.

12. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I was referring to at the start of the game. And are you sure the staff of Xoranth is that fast in RT? I seem to remember some items being faster in realtime than others in TB. Like fine steel dagger and balanced sword.

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Will have to try it in my current game (evil half-ogre battlemage). Though I might not boost up Temporal to the top, Haste might be enough. Though my original plan was for Bangellian Scourge...

14. Baal

Baal New Member

There probably are better weapons than the Vendigrothian War Gauntlets for the half/ogre. They do a lot of damage, about 24 normal and fatigue damage, but they are slow.

I’ve never played as a half/ogre for very long before, may haft to try it again. I’m currently playing as a dwarven technologist.

15. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

I'm always a Gnome because of the reaction advantage.

16. Quartz

Quartz New Member

The best race? The best race is where the best player is, I suppose..
    I've recently tried a dwarven technologist. Kind'a sucking way of playing compared to a mage of any sort except for a dwarven mage maybe.. Sure, a pyro axe and a machined plate are nice gizmos but surely not enough when you decide to visit The Pit of Fires. Force Desintegrate proves to be a serious thing out there.
    Not that I dislike dwarves but they're just unsuitable to be mages.
    I like elves most of all. They're so cute :)

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

That's where you are supposed to use your secondary weapon. I prefer Molotov- very cost effective :) [/quote]

18. BitterSweet

BitterSweet New Member

The best race in my opinion is the Half-orc. Who cares you have to kill off a town or two? If they choose to attack you, then they have to pay the price.

19. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Also
    I disagree. Sure the starting Ma is nice, but towards the end of the game, my mages could have reached 100 MA twice over with the amount of spells. NOt a good choice in the long term, as they also have a low heal rate, and the only real benefit is willpower, which is only one point.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Towards the end of the game, you'll probably be wandering about with a few Arcane Staffs and enough potions to start up your own pharmacy anyway. I've never felt that the low elven Constitution mattered to any big extent.

Our Host!