"Behold: a new Railroad Spike appeared" STOP IT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Sep 29, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I want to officially state it that I'm really pissed off with topics like "I just got X avatar with this post". Very long ago Eros Rex (aka Hel Khat) made such topic and there was nothing of this kind up till DU's "Woohoo I'm a pot" thread. Now every time I log on I see at least one topic with people boasting of their new rank. Hey, you post you get higher rank - it's that simple. Others will notice without the need of crweating a new thread in General Discussion.

Jinxed if you read this please do announce that each&every "new rank" thread will go straight to the VOID.

2. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Actually, the first such thread was entitled "A New Lord Walks Among You" and was posted by, if memory serves right, someone named Bucky.

*edit* It was actually called "Woohoo I got a hammer!". Oops... :oops:

3. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Um no Etalis that was my post :oops:

As for Mr. Dragoon I am sure this little bitch feast of your would never be considered as spam. so have at it vent your venom and enjoy spreading your misery while seeking validation....

If it's not a fun thing or topic to talk about then why even start off with shity icons and give better ones out. And if you get to a point where you get a really cool icon why can't you say something about it (you'd rather people be happy but shut the fuck up about it. is that your point?)? It's a complement to yourself for reaching a goal and it's a complment to the creators of the board for making obtaining such a goal desirable.

But I understand that bitter will find a reason for bitterness no matter how pleasent the curcumstances. I am certain that if I were to do a search I would find any number of your posts that would be considered spamish or way OT. Why don't I? because I don't have the time in life to spend pointing fingers and bitching about how much I hate to see other people enjoying their lives......

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I could argue with you but then why the hell should waste my time? Ok, just a little. I admit I did submit some unnecessary posts - I would be a hypocrite to claim that among my over 1k of posts all are highly valuable and consider no spam whatsoever. But then I am not the one to post like crazy while having absolutely nothing to say (mostly). Then perhaps I should quit seeng how 2 spammers joined their forces against me. Yeah right. I won't drown in your spam - I know how to swim.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I'd just like to interupt here, and say how happy I am that I'm a pot of slavation now. Wouldn't you agree Dragoon?

:D

6. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

I don't think that he would since I created a thread about your new rank to congratulate you and it's one of the posts that nature boy is bitching about. :roll:

7. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hel Khat, is there any chance you can stop promoting bad feeling for a while? So far, you've annoyed both Dragoon and Jarinor, and had constant friction with me.

Until recently, you were on a ban. Why not make more effort not to be such a source of aggravation?

Dragoon is generally a sedate user, so if he's pissed off enough to openly complain, it isn't likely to be for no reason.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I have to agree here with dragoon. Most of the time I spend moderating is what I want to moderate. I skipped on the spam for a while. Maybe didn't feel like dealing with it. Now that someone like dragoon goes as far as making a post about it makes me wonder.

You see, I don't like banning people, believe me I don't. But if someone gets warned not to do something on multiple accasions some action must be taken. I think a custom avatar or the like would come first.

I share dragoons views on what's happened here. If you people don't stop I will let dragoon make up custom titles and avatars for you.

We might even cooperate and possibly give him a moderatory status if the spam will be too much for one person to handle. That's a big if and not that I'm selfish or anything but T-A would like to avoid appoiting mods if it is possible.

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Re: "Behold: a new Railroad Spike appeared" STOP I

Oh sure. Go blame it all on me. Blame the new guy. I didn't know the rules. I haven't been here long enough to know that! I'm innocent! That was a valid thread! How could I have known!? It was the wombat! The wombat made me do it!

I have to say it was interesting to log on today and find that I had to go back to page 2 of the forum to find all the threads that have had new posts since last Friday. Damn, that's the first time that's ever happened. Normally I go away for the weekend, come back to work on Monday and find only 20 or so new threads. First time there's ever been a full page. Wow.

I'm sure there's some relevance in this post.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'd hardly say he's spreading misery - he's just repeating what Fatman and I have already said in another thread. I wouldn't call it venom either, and he doesn't need to seek validation, because he's already got other people's support. All he's doing is voicing his opinion on the stupidity of some of the more pointless threads on the forum.

So PM the recipient of a cool avatar. Don't waste other people's time and bandwidth. Not everyone likes to be the centre of attention in a thread, even if it's just saying "Congrats on your new avatar." They know about it, and I'm pretty sure they can squeeze in a "On a side note, woohoo to me for getting X avatar!" somewhere in one of their posts.

Instead you spend your time spamming up the boards here. What a great life you must have!

Why not just give me temporary powers that I can call upon in times of need? I could do much to rid the forum of spam given the power to delete posts, threads and users.

No? But...but...

Ah, well, I should have seen it coming...

11. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

I just find it amusingly funny how only certain peoples posts are considers spam and other peoples post are considers solid gold no matter the subject. Sheriffs stupid A is B post is very vaild and has so much to do with the subject of this board. And the mulitiple TDZK is up no it's down no it's back up again posts are also very realitive to the survival of this board.

Yes I can just smell all the justice and equalty of a lynch mob in the air...

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That would by lynch mob...

Khat, read the Announcement thread by Jinxed to see my definition of spamming. I assure you, it is fair (or at least, I think so :)).

Fatman is considered to be a non-spammer because he doesn't make useless posts. He only posts things that are interesting, funny or informative. None of this "Congrats on X" crap.

And in case you haven't noticed, this is General Discussion, which means talk about whatever the hell you want without spamming.

13. DarkUnderlord

:nod:

What if you want to talk about spam though :ponder:

14. carlstar

carlstar New Member

Fun that only a few can handel

If you really want the nice avitars then copy them and save them on your computer and then you can see them when ever you please. Oh what fun that will be.

As Jar said. PM the person that got a hammer or pot or what ever because no one really gives a shit that someone has a different group of pixels next to there name. I hope thats the case, unless some of you are the types that stare at lights until someone turns them off.

15. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Re: Fun that only a few can handel

You mean........ you don't? I thought everyone did. :-?

(oh by the way... I'm an Ornate Flintlock now. Woohoo! :p )

16. DarkUnderlord

Re: Fun that only a few can handel

I do!! I do!!

Congratulations Luchaire! The Ornate Flintlock is up there with the hammer in terms of its greatness!

17. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

I agree with Dragoon, but for everyone who wants to congratulate themselves on their new avatar why not just mention it in a thread, not a new topic?

18. Calis

Calis Member

You're right in that we don't enforce a very strict policy on spam. I do, however, have to agree with Dragoon and Jinxed here: the rank spamming is one of the more annoying kinds. Personally I'm not gonna be enforcing any kind of really strict anti-spam policy, but Jinxed is most likely gonna be a little stricter (because he's a more responsible moderator than I am, tee-hee). I also think that spam posts in a more or less meaningful thread are less annoying than new threads that are about nothing whatsoever. That is another good reason to not make any new threads for rank increases. Yes, there have been other spam threads and no, we haven't really enforced any spam rules there so far. Instead, Jinxed posted a thread asking you all to limit it a bit. If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying "Other kinds of spam get posted, so I don't see how rank spamming is any worse". What we're saying is that we want to limit the spam a bit, because we want to avoid turning this board into a spam-fest again. And those rank threads are a good place to start IMO.

I would also like to thank DarkUnderlord for granting my request in threads like this (see his sig). DU, threads like this make me appreciate your presence on this forum. Generally I am somewhat indifferent to your wisecracks, but they fit well in threads like this. :D

19. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Thanks for all the support in my crusade guys. Mod powers for me? I must admit this flattered me - if there will be need for another moderator and there won't be objections against my candidature I could take this function. But I think we can avoid that so far.

My idea is (since spammers were warned more than once already): temporary account lock. For a week or two. My candidates are (as I already wrote it in Jinxed's thread) Etalis (I really don't know what happened to him over the past few days) and obviously Hel Khat. Of course if such temporary lockdowns could cause harm to the forum we have to go with the usual SpamCan and, if that doesn't help, a ban.

If that doesn't help - hell I'm afraid to even write this but Jar with temporary mod powers for a week would be like a nuke unleashed on spammers.

Another thing could be a rules list incorporated in FAQ or made a Sticky Topic (like in many forums nowadays). I'll prepare my own proposal and then we could tweak it toghether and apply.

Now for some personal replies:

DU your new rank post wasn't in the annoying spam cathegory, perhaps I didn't make it clear. Same for that very old thread by Eros. It's what's been happening over the past few days that's so goddamn annoying. Out of all the recent "new rank" threads only Winmills' one didn't become a stupid spam can.

Hel Khat you write that you want to spread positive feelings in many of your thread yet I can hardly recall another member who would have so much flaming on his behalf. You attack other people because they merely dared to disagree with you. Follow your own advice - get a life.

Ferret, Luchaire congrats on your new avatars and especially on not making two new threads out of it.

20. xento

xento New Member

Congrats, Ferret and Luchaire!

Ferret, I noticed you haven't been around much since getting up there with the "masters of the forum". Why is that?

Our Host!