Before You Post...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Snowmane, Jul 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Use the search tool! There are tons of questions asked that have already been answered multiple times. So, before you fire off your question, search a bit, and see if you can find what you're looking for.

If you ask a question about Arcanum multiplayer that can be found in this post, you will be banned, and your e-mail will be posted publicly in the forum and the other members will be encouraged to do whatever they want to it. By posting in this forum you agree to this.

Arcanum multiplayer FAQ

Q1: Why can't I play multiplayer on the internet?
    A1: Because you're doing it wrong. Please see the rest of this FAQ.

Q2. Why can't I make a new WON account?
    A2: You can't make a WON account through the Arcanum interfaces because troika/WON/Sierra fucked something up. You need to go to http://won.net and download the required Account Wizard application.

Q3. Why does everything seem to be taken?
    A3: I have no clue what you are talking about, please see [Q/A]2.

Q4: Why are there no one playing Arcanum on line?
    A4: Because Arcanum multiplayer sucks. It was only implanted because Sierra told Troika they wouldn't release the game without multiplayer. So Troika had to fix something real fast, Oh and the fact that the game is six years old might have something to do with it. Oh, and it stopped working at all some time back.

Thanks to Xz.

2. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I guess some just aren't that intelligent are they...

You DO realise that you're heading for a sound thrashing with a moderator stick don't you EEB? :lol:

4. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

:)

But, yeah I'm sure Snowmane is smart enough to catch the drift that I was just fooling.

5. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

You know, it's very sad that after 100 views, people still aren't catching on. From now on, I'm just going to give people links to their questions, or tell them to get off their lazy asses and USE THE MOTHERFUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!

6. Luvian

Luvian New Member

Most of the time, people come to discussion forum because they want a discussion, not just some text. When they really want text they use websites instead.

What's the point of a forum if people are not allowed to start a discussion? Almost everything has been said already. Should we simply read old thread and never post anymore in fear of repeating an old thread?

If someone ask a question and you don't feel like answearing it, then simply ignore it. It seem a lot better idea than scaring newbies away with " Use the search function, stupid noob!"

That's certainly not a good way of encouraging discussion.

7. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I don't believe we're calling you a stupid noob! but I have found out alot of different opinions from PREVIOUS players that are no longer here.

If one key word doesn't work just try another.

Parmanian

8. Canis

Canis New Member

First, I'm a huge fan of the search feature. I recommend its use almost daily.

Now, it will often happen that a new player will need some little bit of info but not wish to use the search for fear of being spoilt. They just want their own one little answer, and not a whole lot of superfluous info which they may be exposed to if they search for it. Fine, I can relate.

However. Most of the time it's not like that at all. People, not newbies to the game, spend a respectable amount of time on the board, being exposed to spoilers left and right, and then occasionally interject with a "what's a such-and-such" type question, which can easily be answered with the search or my quickly consulting the walkthroughs on the main TA site (which some people seem not even to know exists). That's laziness, and that's what irritates people.

Now, if you have an additional question about the such-and-such, something which cries out to be clarified, that again is different. That's a discussion. That's fine. That's something to talk about. But, again, that's not what we're talking about here.

9. Gresham171

Gresham171 New Member

Yeah, the search tool is great as long as you're specific in your searches, however, we are not supposed to "gravedig" i.e. resurrect old discussions.
    Therefore, we can search for answers but if we don't find them we have to start a new discussion rather than revive an old debate, which i reckon would save a bit of time, bringing back old topics isn't that bad is it?

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

You do realize that you just resurrected an old discussion that hadn't been posted in for over a month, don't you?

Gravedigging if very frowned upon here, just accept that and don't do it. It may result in saving time, but if you do it, you'll get a lot of crap about it and people won't like you.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

12. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Isn't spam defined as distributing a message to multiple places, without heed of the recipient, i.e. placing the same message in every forum, or asking for help with Diablo in the Arcanum discussion area?
    If so I don't know how my unhumorous jokes are considered spam.

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

SPAM is when you make useless posts of no consequence or relation to what everyone else is talking about, or when you post WAY to much, or when you post 6 times in the same thread in the space of 15 minutes.

15. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Thanks for clarifying that, I thought it was only like what those penis enlargement ads do, when they dup the same message and send it to anyone and everyone.

17. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

Sleek, I recall on mulitple occasions that you have done the very crime of which you just named for the noObs not to do... :) :lol: :)

18. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

I'd just like to point out that the main site is very overdue for a retune. Every time I go there I get 3-4 broken links in the headers alone (a whole bunch of what looks like Java, but incorrectly compiled?)

19. Canis

Canis New Member

It's JavaScript, PHP, and MySQL all conspiring against us. I get that a lot using Mozilla, but once I mouse over the headers the MySQL warning goes away and everything works normally. Some menus still don't expand properly though.... The site had allegedly taken on a new staff member to deal with all those sorts of things, but I haven't seen her in AGES and as many of the problems still exist, well....

But the information is there, and it's entirely accessible, and there's nothing preventing people from doing research for themselves. This complaint really belongs in Site Feedback, not here.

20. Ron_Lugge

Ron_Lugge New Member

OK... <Goes searching for "site feedback".

Our Host!