Awesome character and party

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Demosthenes, Mar 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I have a melee dodge character who is learning the temporal tree who just got chukka into his party. he is 6 levels behind me, dog, and virgil and 5 levels behind sogg. with sogg, chukka, dog, and me fighting and virgil to heal us, i think hes going to be pretty much unstoppable. ill still probably try to do the last battle without them just to see if i can.
    i just thought id share my character and see what people thought of him.

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well temporal is the most logical choice for a melee fighter, I would also recommend to learn stun or flash for the especially hard-to-kill bastards. Sogg, Chukka and Dog are great company, but since you're melee inclined Loghaire could also be a nice addition, he makes a pretty good tank, as well as Thorwald Two Stones who you can get for free. As for a need in a healer, I'd suggest Dante, he has the highest strength of all healer mages (starts with 12, can go up to 20) and is good in melee himself.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i have a liking of virgil as he is a loyal friend. im level 21 so itd be a big difference for dante. i may get him but he wont replace virgil. i definitely wont add another fighter because my party is already capable and i dont want to have lag problems.

4. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

If Bow isn't terribly underpowered (haven't tried it yet) , i'd think the Temporal school of magick would be perfect. Haste and Tempus Fugit are incredibly powerful spells, minus the mindbogging sound effects , and with that kind of party , the game should be a breeze.

I've played the game quite a bit , and would probably be bored to death playing it though :)

Virgil is otherwise the weakest link , Dante apparently gets up to 20 strength AND has better healing than Virgil. The fact that i believe Virgil is utter garbage as far as his story , character and abilities go would make pretty much any other NPC preferable , though ;)

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

It does more dammage than firearms. Hell, with Elemun's Bow you do more dammage that a fully fired up battlemage. The Expert bonus of shooting doubles makes the Pyro Bow a stronger weapon than the Pyro Axe.

Vergil is a true friend, a valiant fighter, & a good healer.

Yes, it is too bad that he is an abject coward and a racist. In his favor, he is a fast man with a Major Heal & he is free. I once watched him duck into an empty room at the start of combat, only to rush out on his turn (TBC) & blow off all his move & most of his FT on major heals for most of the party. I have also seen in the thick of combat, but not often.

6. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

ive always liked virgil and he is loyal. i got dante and im not sure if im going to keep him. he is 10 levels behind me, but i think i will keep him unless my comp gets laggy or he isnt doing anything.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I have the same problem, by the time I got Dante he was way behind, I'm not level 25 and he's level 17. I'm still going to keep him though, he's not that much of a coward when you have 20 CH

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

he is causing a great deal of lag though. if things dont get better before im done with the isle of despair, i wont keep him.

9. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Sheesh, Solaris. Are you some kind of misogynist?

10. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm not. I just find those quotes funny. And they're hardly anti-female, at least most girls I know don't think so.

11. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Righty-right. Just checking. :bunny:

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

If my signature seems too disturbing to someone, I can change it. I have an endless supply of quotes.

13. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

How exciting. May I impose you to bestow upon me a small sample?

14. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

Thanks for the info on Bow. I really never even tried it , and i think i saw a mod that would "bring bow up to par" so i got the impression it might not be a great skill. Good to know it is , gotta try me a bowman.

About Virgil and Dante's personality traits , from what i've read in this post , its a matter of opinion. I really need to get Dante as a follower for a decent period of time before i make any statements regarding his usefulness , i was just passing on what i had heard.

The follower section at T-A is really useful to avoid that kind of "level lag". I just got Vollinger on my tech team, but by the time i got to Dernholm i was 16 :\ that made me cringe a little.

P.S Shady, what's a "fully fired up battlemage"? No , seriously , i'd really like your opinion on that.

15. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

battlemage= master Melee/Dodge, 100% MA and the Black Necro spell Harm. anything else is just a bonus and not even necessary, IMO.

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i usually go for melee/dodge and tempus fugit with some other spells with my battlemages.

17. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Hmm...I've never tried a bowman either...I tend to be more fond of thrown weapons because you can carry a shield or torch.

I like the Aerial Decapitator, but it doesn't have the range of some of the chakrams.. It's good for a low magick/tech character tho'.

And I don't think the decapitator is up to par with Ahzrams Star with a high magick aptitude. I was hooked on that thing when I saw it take down gore guards in no more than two shots...from a level 15 character..Couldn't bear to part with it after..Can imagine what it does in the hands of a master..Hmm..I wonder if I can give it to clarissa, get trained and pickpocket it after...~ponderponder~May have to start a new game..

18. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Bows are unbelievably deadly in Arcanum. Raven with Ellemun's bow probably does more damage per turn than Sogg with a pyro axe. A pyro bow is probably the best tech weapon avaliable, it would be the ultimate weapon of the game if it didn't damage enemy armor so much. Arrows are cheap and always avaliable (some 270 per day for sale in Tarant) and can also be found anywhere.
    Throwing weapons are mostly good for magickers, except maybe Aerial decapitator. Chakrams do good damage, and I think you can get the Master quest when you're only an apprentice. Throwing grenades and acid at a long distance could give an enormous advantage, pity it doesn't bring you experience for damage you do with them.

19. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Yeah you can get the Master Throwing Quest early on. It takes quite some time, whether you force the Pass or not, to even find the place where Ahzram's Star is..Especially if you don't quite know where the pass is. If you don't force it, you don't find it until you get directions to Qintarra. If there's another way to locate the pass, I haven't run across it.

The trouble is, if I remember correctly, she screws you when you bring it back...After all that work, she charges you for training...Now that could be a dialogue/charisma trigger, but it's been awhile since I actually completed the quest. Like I said, I kept the Star last time, so I don't quite remember the outcome.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

you can get there without forcing the location if you get teleport or use scrolls. ive given her the star for the training and then used a fate point to get it back. a good investment for one of my fate points that wasnt being terribly useful.

Our Host!