Automaton Gunner (again)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by The_Bob, Jul 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

From what I've read in this post, the gunner was brought to the point of being borderline functional - that is, it actually fired its gun and generally worked for a time. And then it broke.

My question is, will anyone consider picking up where Tekkus McDwarf had left ? I'd very much like to see the automaton gunner in action (even though there's no animation for one, I think).

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, there's no animation.

The only things that were made for the Automaton Gunner are the schematic and the item proto. The actual critter was never made, so the item becomes a normal automaton when used.

Although it's easy to make another version of the Automaton, that would have the Elephant Gun in its inventory, the Firearms skill and bullets (both via a heartbeat script), there's no animation for the Automaton using any other weapon than its claws.

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

And making said animations would be a royal pain in the ass I gather?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, it's not possible at all, since we don't have the original 3D model from which the sprites were rendered. Well, unless somebody with a very good skill in 3d modeling makes a perfect replica (not gonna happen).

Well, of course, we can do the same thing that Fallout modders did: edit the existing frames directly in a graphics editor, perhaps copying and pasting some art from other animations. Taking in account that Arcanum uses larger, more colorful sprites with much more frames than Fallout, this is guaranteed to look like shit. Can you edit even one frame by hand so that it looks perfect in all 8 rotations? Impossible.

Just take a look at how complex the model is.
    [​IMG]

Our Host!