ArcVoice - Voice Actor's Helper

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, May 25, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

More info and download link can be found here: http://arcanum.game-alive.com/forums/vi ... ?f=25&t=40

:D

2. Wims

Wims New Member

Seems cool. But I need people to help to dub my dialogs. :)

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thank you :) I wish I could help you with that, but unfortunately I'm not that good at voice acting. That's actually the reason why I decided to continue developing ArcVoice a little bit further.

I bought a really good microphone, and now I should be able to produce some high-quality recorded speech for the dialogs.

So now I'm practicing, and it'll take me a while before I learn the voice acting at decent level... like a year or two at least :lol:

4. Wims

Wims New Member

5. Crypton

Crypton Member

Huh, me? Nope, I'm quite useless right now. Also, I think that most of the folks here would prefer speechless dialogs, rather than badly done voice-overs, unless their are funny.

It's pretty hard to find a good voice actor, who would be reliable and be willing to do that for free or low price. Really, about five guys have offered to do some voice-overs for OpenArcanum before, but none of them actually made anything. They just disappeared without a trace...

Anyway, I think that it's better if do the voice acting by yourself, as you don't have to rely on anyone, plus you have the opportunity to improve your English and overall sound of your voice.

Best regards :)

Edit: New version is out :thumbup:

6. Wims

Wims New Member

I'll check out the new version then.

Well, since no one is really into dubbing dialogs but my brother and myself, we'll try to do all the voices...

7. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Not that no one is into it. I'd like to voice act but have no mic. More guys probably share the problem.

8. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Have a mic, willing to help. No experience, American accent, baritone. Pick a character and I'll give it a whirl this Wednesday. If the quality meets your standards, I'll be willing to do more. If not, no worries.

9. Wims

Wims New Member

Thank you friartuck. I'll let you choose one of the following characters

- Jack, a zombie pirate (friendly tone)

- Kain, a skeleton pirate (aggressive tone)

- The Captain of the pirates (scorn tone)

- A pirate (arrogant tone)

10. friartuck

friartuck New Member

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

@Constipation: You don't have a mic? C'mon, it's not that expensive! I bought my Samson C03U for only $45 in local musician shop.

@friartuck: If you're going to use ArcVoice, please report here any bugs you find. Thank you in advance :)

12. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Already used it, seemed to work perfectly. It's a great tool, Crypton. We'll see if Wims has any problems with the files it generated.

13. Constipation

Constipation New Member

I'll be able to help once Crypton buys me a mic. Good thing that's not going to be a problem seeing how it's not that expensive.

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

I can..... not, I'm sorry. I'm already saving caps for a server for OpenArcanum, because apparently nobody is ever going to donate a penny for it. We need at least $1000, so I'm the one here who should be asking for a stuff :)

Don't tell me that you can't save $50 in like a week or two ;)

15. Constipation

Constipation New Member

You underestimate the power of booze and whore expenses.

16. Wims

Wims New Member

I bought a very basic mic for $2.5 and the voices recorded were REALLY okay.

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

New version is out. Now it's possible to select a word, and pronounce it correctly using a selected online dictionary. (...well, for now it only opens the selected website with the word in your web browser.)

Useful, if you're not a native English speaker, or you find a word that is really hard to pronounce (like those in Lukan's dialog).

18. Wims

Wims New Member

Whoo, this is actually cool to check the right pronunciation.

19. Crypton

Crypton Member

I'm glad that you find it useful. :)

Btw, are you using a predefined variables in your dialogs? I mean @pcname@, and the others.

What would you do with those variables, if you had to read the dialog? For example, this line:
    This one is easy, it can be removed entirely, so it'll be:
    But what about other situations? Would you try to remove the vars from the dialog, or would you rewrite the dialog, so it wouldn't contain any of those variables? Or would you replace them with some generic words?

I'm asking, because I'm working on a feature, that will do this correction automatically, or it would ask the user to choose from a list of possible replacements. :thumbup:

20. Wims

Wims New Member

I usually don't say "@pcname@" when I dub.

Our Host!