ArcanumBeta v1.0 - Beta Content Restoration Pack

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Crypton, Dec 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Another x-mas present for you... Enjoy! :dance:
    (Don't forget to turn off num lock to disable "always-run" mode while playing)

Version 1.0, 162MB - Download

Edit: Some answers to frequently asked questions:
    -This pack can be easily uninstalled through build-in uninstaller.
    -This pack should be compatible with any 1.0.7.4 based patch/modification, it does modify the main executable file, so be sure that you install it as last modification.

-------------------------------------

Preview of restored animations:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

More images: Click

2. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Words... — Should've... sent... a poet... Thank you!

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

My theory is that they were limited to space, and had to fit game size under 1 400MB (2 CDs), minus some free space for installer and extra content (e.g. Empire Earth trailer), so they deleted most of the "unneeded" art files to fit this size limit.

Also this is not everything that was deleted, much more critter, monter and npc art files are missing, for complete list, check out this topic -> List of missing art for critters, monters and unique npc.

I'd rather keep the details of that as secret, since I'm not sure if that person wants to be named (and bothered). I've had access to beta content only, not beta itself, and this happened only once, and (probably) won't repeat again. I was actually very surprised by myself that it was found after these years, plus I had to wait for it almost 2 months since I asked, and I was loosing hope already. (A small test of my patience and faith :D)

If I ever get chance to access to remaining deleted content, it'll probably be posted in this topic as well.

Have a nice day. :thumbup: :D

4. wayne-scales

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Looks like some quality work, Crypton. I seem to be having some problems downloading it at the moment, but let's hope it will work later.

What version is it compatible with? 1.0.7.4? 1.0.7.4 + A:WIP 6.0? 1.0.7.4 + UAP 091225? Any/none of the above?

Is that supposed to sound like an order?

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

Really? Just tried it and works for me... try to use some download manager if problems remains.

Should be working with any 1.0.7.4. It was required to patch executable to enable those animations in game. Patcher checks for correct version before it does anything, and if when invalid version is found or patching fails, it will popup a error message and quit, so don't worry that it will break something. Also backup of executable is made, it's file arcanum.exe.bak, and when you uninstall that module, it's automatically restored, so no need to worry about that either.

Please let me know if it's working for you after you install it. Thank you ;)

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I assume the higher resolution portraits are also from this build? The earlier versions had large portraits, as evidenced in some pre-release screenshots.

8. wayne-scales

I was aiming for ambiguity!

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Crashed? without any error message? It should at least show you error message that your version is incompatible or something.

It's actually needed, because without it you won't see all restored anims, such as walking with weapon and shield equipped.

Try to equip a sword and shield, enter into walk mode and walk somewhere, you'll see that without this patch shield gets hidden when walking. After patch is applied, you'll see both shield and weapon when walking.

10. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yep. Also same thing with pistol, hammer, unarmed, etc. So do you already know why it crashed? No error message? I tested it on win XP and 7, and all works perfectly.

11. Don Santiago de Quixos

Don Santiago de Quixos New Member

12. Don Santiago de Quixos

RunAwayScientist,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I tried it, and it seems to work.

I am trying to play the game with as much of the original/intended content as it is possible at the moment.

I figured that if I loaded the following it should be good:

The Original game.
    The Official Patch 1.0.7.4.
    The Unofficial Patch by Drog Blacktooth
    This Beta Restore.
    The Magic Restoration Mod v100306

(As I understand it, in this order).

That should restore/add a bunch of content, right?

And I wanted to put in the Townsmap HQ and the Lossless music. Just for a better looking and sounding game.

And maybe the universal level cap remover to do a few things I did not get to do the last times I played the game.

Although I would like to try some of the costume backgrounds and maybe check out some new portraits.

I love this game. I come back to it every so many months.

Thanks for the reply,

Don Santiago de Quixos

13. Don Santiago de Quixos

RAS,

Thank you very much. I will check it out. I think I have never investigated it becuase I thought it did not contain the original game. I will go take a look see.

DSDQ

14. Crypton

Crypton Member

I haven't tested it with UAP yet, since I play only vanilla way, but you can test it by yourself, and don't worry, it has also uninstaller to you can uninstall it without need to reinstall whole game, just be sure that you install this beta pack as last modification.

15. Don Santiago de Quixos

Crypton,

Thanks for the response, and I applaud all your efforts in all your Arcanum endeavors.

I will check out the nots on the A:WIP first.

But I am leaning towards using the UAP, the Magic Mod, and this Beta restoration that you are sharing.

I will let you know how it goes.

PS: Completly unrelated matter, but -Any chance of creating animations of characters wielding 2 guns?

16. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Just dropping by to say that the download and installation was successful and that I'm enjoying the new content.

By the way, Crypton, do you happen to have a more detailed list of content restored in the pack, by any chance?

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

Sorry, I haven't made such list yet. If you're wondering, why don't you unpack those .dat archives and look by yourself?:) It's probably better way to find out what's new, than trying to understand to my lame english.

Can you also confirm that you can see in game "walking with one-handed weapon and shield equipped" animation?

For example this one:
    [​IMG]

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, but those .art files confuse me. What program would you recommend for opening and browsing them?

I can confirm that I do not. The game displays "walking with a weapon while not holding a shield" instead, even though the shield is equipped.

19. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

ArtView. It's available in our DL section.

20. guenthar

guenthar New Member

Just to let people know if you are trying to install this on Windows Vista or 7 that you need to have Arcanum installed outside of the Program Files folder. The security in those operating systems will likely prevent you from patching the exe and it will fail.

Our Host!