ArcanumAlive Project

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, May 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to point out that other then recreating the engine, Crypton is researching the Arcanum map format, and possibly other formats as well. So it's not like he's just making this wannabe remake.

Also considering the progress he's made, we can't say he isn't making an effort. And being in another fan project myself, I'll have to say that people capable of actually doing something other then yapping about what should be done by others are rare. So quit bugging the guy, he is doing something constructive.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Could you explain in a not-too-technical way how does that translate into making the game better?

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

If the format specs ever get released then even if Crypton turns out to be incompetent, someone else could use them to create a better arcanum, better tools for modding arcanum or otherwise make them useful. Not everyone knows how to reverse-engineer file formats and not everyone who does has the patience to do it.

Based on the current work done by Crypton, a better map editor could be made, which could be improved by people as time goes on. Of course that would be a huge task, if it was to compete with the current editor, but regardless it's a lot more likely to happen now that Crypton's managed to read the maps, sprites, lights and all the other stuff, and put it together into a relatively working map.

All that he's done is very little compared to how much it would take to make a playable game that's based on arcanum data or make a working editor better then the current one, but regardless, no one seems to have done even this much in that direction. By this direction I mean making arcanum data accessible to a wide audience of programmers and building a working foundation, even as a reference for future projects.

I know that when it comes to fan projects and community efforts, potential, possibilities and foundations are frowned upon by people who have grown cynical by watching lots of projects end up being unfinished, never take off or turn out to be utter lies and delusions. But this one actually has results, and has had a lot of work put into it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let me give you an example.

ToEE uses an improved version of the Arcanum engine, but WorldEd for ToEE was never released, so the modding community decided to make their own. They've spent years, and still never managed to make a fully working map editor with all needed features.

We on the other hand have a fully working official editor, and yet you claim that spending a decade to reverse-engineer everything so that we can make a hypothetically 'better' editor is somehow reasonable.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I personally don't see the results in the materials he provides, but now I at least know what his projest is supposed to be, so thanks for the info. I won't speak about how is his project possible or even wise because I'm not the one to speak about that one. From my point of view it's just like creating a completely new game, which may sound nice but seing how big experianced developer teams take years to do such things, I see little chance of a group of, more or less, amateurs doing it anyway fast (or at last in a reasonable time) and efficient.

I personally don't see the need for a better editor seing how one exists already and a lot of good work becomes without it proving it's functionality, but than again, I may not see how much unnecessary work is needed because of the editor not being perfect.

The problem that appeared here is that Crypton was completely unprepared to announce his project. Anyone working on such a project should know that Arcanum fans are already experienced with such things failing a lot and therefore doubtful, so he should expect a lot of explaining, convincing and proving his potential. However he decided to take the path of explain little and demanding attention and trust without giving too much reasons to do so, not to mentioned his further inmature cocky reactions. If he would be patient, grew some testicles for his public relations and found an english translator which would explain everyone what is he actually doing, a lot of this propably would not have to happen.

6. Minuos

Minuos New Member

A lot of sense is finally being made here. Noticed that none of it is from Crypton?

I suggest that everyone, Crypton especially, takes a look at Drog's release notes in relation to the UAP. Practically every change made is logged, and further explained when necessary. It keeps the consumer informed, otherwise how would we know Drog was improving Arcanum and not just making it different because he can?

That's the kind of thing people wanted from Crypton, simply some form of explanation. But instead he complained when he encountered negativity from a generally negative group of people, and lost any chance of gaining their support. All Crypton needs is to explain, and then the flaming may stop.

Except from Drog, because let's face it-- he has a point. Crypton's project is pretty pointless.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*bows to Minuos* I couldn't have put it better myself. Well done, sir!

8. No! Naughty dog!

No! Naughty dog! New Member

As Drog said what is being attempted is impractical to say the least, but I personally am looking forward to this, sure it could take years or decades to finish, but even if it does I want to see what Crypton has tried to do success or failure, stupid or not.

From what I gathered one of the main points behind this project was the learning experience, which is most definitely being achieved.

I don't see the project as being a better or worse Arcanum what I see is someone trying to develop an alternative, an alternative that could lead to a multitude of different things. Sure there are plenty of reasons for not going ahead with it which people have been oh so eager to point out. Most of which from the more technical point of views has been , the impracticality of the decisions for coding and the expected timeframe for completion, sure Crypton is being a bit of a jackass but is still showing the determination to get this done regardless of how long it takes.

What Crypton is hoping with the plea for help is cut that timeframe to completion down and hopefully stir up interest in the project.

I see reason for skepticism but I see no reason for the childish behaviour displayed by both sides, primarily on this side. Not believing in something and stamping all over it are not the same nor does one warrant the other. <--- thats the part you can use to disregard my whole post... provided you haven't found an excuse before then :)

9. Minuos

Minuos New Member

Some people are stubborn and see no need for a change of the magnitude Crypton is providing, but some have curiosity enough to support it slightly. I was open-minded when it seemed Crypton had grown up a bit, but now he's not only a temperamental kid, he's an uppity one, as seen in his post to Muro who only sought information. I don't care about his project, and dislike him for being so irrational. There are reasons for bad opinions of him.

Where the childishness is concerned, you have to consider Crypton's history of posts, and their impudence. He's also been credit-hungry for every idea he slightly contributed to. I'm happy to be indifferent and offer support when sides are neutral, but I've grown to dislike the guy for his temperament and inability to take criticism. Taking on a project of that scale, you'd think he'd have more patience when presenting it to people.

I'm not contributing any more if I can help it. This circular discussion should probably be trashed like its predecessor.

10. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Who will be the last person to post before this thread is locked?

In all seriousness, Crypton's work is not without merit, even if it is only done for its own sake. The experience he will glean from such a project will have other, more meaningful applications. The goal of becoming a better programmer is too general to be realized. Narrowing the goal down to becoming a better programming by rebuilding Arcanum will better direct Crypton's energy.

It seems to me that most people would realize the reinventing the wheel would take too much effort to be worthwhile. Besides, the amateur's wheel would probably be much knobbier and less balanced than the professional's wheel. One should not blame others for seeing things this way.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

it's not about the fact, that we don't see that the professional wheel would be better that the amateur's one. It's about how we see that the professionalist will propably die of age before he invents his wheel, while at the moment he shows the amateur wheel painted yellow claiming that it shows how good his work toward progress is doing.

Our Host!