ArcanumAlive Project

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, May 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Despite how little faith I've for your rewriting arcanum in pascal, two thumbs up for researching the map format. I just hope you will publish the spec once you're finished.

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

Sure :) Everything will be documented and released, including source code...

I think that in 2 months I'll be able to load maps completely, including NPC and other stuff, then next stage will begin, and its making a this project playable :)

4. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I don't really understand the reasons, but you seem intent on continuing, despite all the negativity you encountered here. I admire persistence and determination, so keep at it. At any rate, I'd like to see the end result just out of curiosity. Good luck with it.

5. Koorac

Koorac New Member

Looks quite good. How about hosting the source code on sourceforge.net?

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

What he said goes for me too. :thumbup:

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Looks good, if only you could polish some of the bloom (the lamps on the bridge at the end of the video look way too bright) and remove that odd grid pattern, this looks like a genuine graphics improvement.

:thumbup:

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thanks! That lights needs to be fixed, its bug in arcanum map, some of objects has 2 or more lights, so it looks lighter, or it looks like white dot in some cases. These grids are only to show a sector boundaries, of course it could be easily removed :)

Also from that video you could see next bug, look at lanterns, when they lit, they should be animated (simulation of fire in lantern), in Arcanum they are not animated :)

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Good luck with it.

Terra-Arcanum will of course provide hosting and fan publicity for it via the News Section.

Gaslights should flicker, though I believe most streetlights in Arcanum are supposed to be electical lights? Still, it would definitely be a nice effect.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What improvement? Don't be ridiculous, Dark Elf.
    ...is a pretty dumb idea. Even if this gets finished in a few decades it will be much worse than the original.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I don't get it. I may not be enlighted (I didn't lurk too much about the project) but judging by the videos I don't really see what's better. Everything seems to be brighter, but is that a good thing? Dark is climatic and propably the small lights in building were more in place than the full illumination a la modern times.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, feel free to enlighten yourself.
    Thread 1
    Thread 2

13. Crypton

Crypton Member

Well, if you are talking about enlightening, look at yourself, that second thread exists only because you was so arrogant and you "Locked and trashed." my thread, instead of cleaning out that thread of dumb posts.

Also nobody said that final release will be written in Delphi, this is research engine, and it will be released only for converting old arcanum resources to new one, so anybody could start own Arcanum engine project. And also, this Delphi engine is not crap, its possible to create fully playable game with that...

As soon as I finish my research, we'll start developing new format (we do a bit now), and we'll start working on new crossplatform arcanum engine.

Yes, I said We, because I got about 5 serious offers with programming, and actually one guy already joined to ArcanumAlive team.

I'm sure that when I release mine research engine, with research docs, more developers will join, especially when project will be opensource.

I also offered you to join at beginning, you've refused... you could help.

Well I dont need to persuade anybody, and also I stopped to care about opinions about this project, I will finish that no matter what others says.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well I know that Crypton came here with his Wizard friend, introduced his project, got pissed that, in his opinion, he didn't get enough attention and help, whined, whined some more, took his toys and left the place. So you could say I've lurked about the boards situation, but didn't get the idea from the technical side.

If I understand correctly, he want's to rewrite the engine to make it easier to mod (or at least that's what the Wizard dude says, Crypton didn't explain it too good). OK, well, WHY? Is that even needed, taking into consideration how much work would that take? Arcanum seemed working great in my opinion, I don't even see need for enhancement. But maybe I don't know anything about it because I'm not sitting in the modding chair?

Well, I have very little knowledge about programming and the tech background of Arcanum, that's no secret. But I'm just saying that I, as a Arcanum player and a complete programming layman, don't see how his technical speak translates into game enhancements. And judging from the videos I see keine improvement, just making everything brighter.

I mean just look at the post above. From my eyes he's saying:
    - I'm doing stuff!
    = But why are you doing stuff?
    - Because when I do it, Arcanum will be different.
    = But does it make it better?
    - Yes!
    = How?
    - It will have different staff.
    = Yeah, but what are the actual benefits? You know, what will be better from a casual player's view? What will make him even notice a difference?
    = ...
    - I'm doing stuff!

15. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yes thats obvious, somebody who has no serious programming experience is criticizing my work only from one stupid video...

I'm sure that you cant imagine even a bit how much work it has took to reverse engineering and code everything to make "everything brighter".

So I'm not going to explain you anything, because it will be useless and you would not understood to that from technical side.

And thanks for support! ;)

16. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

You know what would be interesting though, was if you could add a view-changer to the game like you showed in the second demo. Zoom-in, Zoom-out, etc...

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

If I understood, you want from me to add zooming ?:) That zooming is from game, its not cam trick, look at top-left corner where is fps and other stuff, there is also Zoom :) That zooming you saw at video is without texture filters, so its bit blocky, but when I turn texture filters everything look like original without blockiness...

18. Minuos

Minuos New Member

The difference is that Crypton's project is an alternative. Drog's efforts are genuine improvements of the game we all love. I'd always prefer the classic, patched up to the most recent UAP. Simply because it still feels like Arcanum. Crypton's project looks like it could take away from that, which may not sit well with anyone who truly loves Arcanum. Its sentimental value is a large part of it for people who've played it since its release.

But I'm essentially indifferent. There's not much of a point in debating this because there's too much bad blood between Crypton and Drog, as well as the people who weren't explained to properly. Both sides made this all worse, but Crypton is continuing, regardless. Leave him to it, and eventually we'll see the result and how purposeful or pointless it actually was.

Then either Drog or Crypton will be given bragging rights. I'll just be playing Arcanum, either way. As will most everyone else who cares enough to even consider what's going on here. Don't forget that the end product is all the consumer cares about.

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Well Crypton, somehow that's the exact response I expected you would give me.
    Anyway, that's great for your project. You encounter an Arcanum player who has completely no idea about the very sence of your work because you didn't say it clearly. What do you do? If I were you, I would explain a little. Hell, I would explain it the very moment I introduced the project. But nooo, all you do is go "Ah, begone ignorant mortal!" You really seem to somehow not realise that no one will be interested in your project if people won't even know what are the actual planned effects. You may find people to help you to work on it, but when it will be finished and a casual Arcanum player sees the project, with it's whole description saying nothing more than "This changed Arcanum. It is now different. Really! Different in what way? You're stupid to know, ha!", do you expect any interest?

If you think your video is stupid, it's your opinion to have. I criticize not your efforts of programming, but what they ended in. What I'm saying is that I, as a player and a layman, looked through all of the screenshots and videos you provided and didn't see anything special. If I didn't know what it is, I would say some of them are screenshots from beta or alfa versions of Arcanum, while the other ones are from normal Arcanum with amplified lighting. Then I asked what is the meaning of the project if I don't see anything in it? I got nothing in response. No one did. Yup, it's very tempting now to watch it coming. First class promotion.

Why are you deluding yourself that people care how much work you put into the project? Thay don't. All they care about are the effects. And when all they get is "Hey, I really worked a friggin' lot on this and look, everything now is brighter!", you won't get much more that a sincere WTF look and a loss of interest from them.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Jeebus man. Muro asked a question, Drog answered it, and you got all hissy-bitch on us again. See, there's a reason we find you hard to take that seriously, and you've just done an excellent job of demonstrating that reason for the next time you return and someone asks what the heck you're talking about.

Our Host!