Arcanum: Work in Progress now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

it was marked, but i can't seem to get to it, unless i'm lookin at the wrong place... which i now think i am. the one i was lookin at had no name but said "Lest Darkness Rise" if you hovered your mouse over it.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The coordinates are 1179 x 877. It is just northwest of Lynchbany.

In the previous post I mentioned the Green Forest Lodge. That was the original name for it but it is now the Big Woods Lodge.

Sorry for any confusion.

The pop-up titles like "Lest Darkness Rise" are the names of D&D module(s) I'm planning to adapt for that scene.
    Case in point: The Big Woods Lodge was an adaptation of "Haunting Lodge". I had to add Lynchbany (which I plagerized from the Spellsinger novels) as a hook but, it works well enough for a first effort.

3. wayne-scales

oh, well that clears that up.
    it musn't have been marked on my map.

are you goin to update your download with any recent changes before october?

and i take it you're not goin to edit/create any spells while at it? i only ask because i would love to customize some of the things in arcanum, but haven't the foggiest idea how to use WorldEd..

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The updating - no. This can run as-is until then because the bug-fixes and installation instructions are right here with it. Besides, it's only a month and a half to two months before the next release.

Modifying the spells: Again no.
    1) I lack the knowledge to do so.
    2) Due to the problems the Dark Magic hack tried to cause, I'm a little more than slightly leery about doing so.
    3) I'm trying to avoid creating a revision.

Using WorldEd - Not too bad, actually. Learning everything you'll need to go with that: It's a bitch.

5. wayne-scales

i've always wondered how ya just found or figured out how to use it!

anyway it's brilliant, keep up the good work.

by the way, ya didn't happen to see my thread about the Divinations and Magick for the adept wizard did ya? no-one has replied to it yet and i'm not sure if this book is part of your expanson rroyo

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

No and no.

Edit: Check the thread. :)

7. Bob Morane

Bob Morane New Member

Mhh, the Panary Temple is NOT a minimal change to Shrouded Hills if you ask me :) (i'm referring to what's inside the temple)
    Fair enough, i was asking because i saw a spell file in the rules folder. I'm OK with the vanilla spells anyway
    Mhh, as i said i would rather consider this a bug-fix, or at least a work around than a revision. I would do it myself if i knew where the progression shemes are stored :-?
    Sorry, i meant Crash To Desktop, i saw this so often i came up thinking everyone knows what it means :roll: Mhh, it must be my cpu is to fast then (AMD Athlon 3000+) I'll try to repack a .dat file and see if this help, the unmoded game didn't crash (that often) and not even car-arcanum crashed this way.
    Cool, that's what i call "good news" :thumbup:

8. wayne-scales

ok, now i know i'm not crazy. i started again an just tried Lynchbany again. the lodge doesn't get marked on my map the "Lest Darkness Rise" area does, an when i go to the coordinates you gave me, i somehow end up back in Lynchbany

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I just double-checked Cerdo's script. I have no idea how, but the listing for The Big Woods Lodge got changed to the unbuilt Lest Darkness area.

My apologies folks. Here's the corrected script:

http://rapidshare.com/files/49642929/30517Cerdo_Proudfoot.dlg

Go to the Sierra/Arcanum/Arcanum5.dat/dlg folder and locate the 30517Cerdo Proudfoot.dlg file and rename it to x30517Cerdo Proudfoot.dlg.
    Download the dlg file. Move it to your Sierra/Arcanum/Arcanum5.dat/dlg folder.
    Go to the Sierra/Arcanum/modules/Arcanum/maps folder and delete all the oddly-named files there (85 to 100).

Now go talk to Cerdo again.

In the meantime, I need to figure out how this happened. :/

10. Bob Morane

Bob Morane New Member

Hello i have some concerns with Faithe Tobor. When i speak with her and ask her to join the party.

First : the line is doubled, i have twice the exact same line to ask her, on the same dialog screen (i forgot to "screenshot" it). I guess this one IS a bug :p

Then, she doesn't want to join me because she finds me "too shady for her likings". I can understand followers have an alignment check to join or not. But when it hurts is because i'm at alignment 13 here in shrouded hills. I made all the good guy quests (at least the old ones i know of). I have no hope to kill the bandits near the bridge (i don't know their english names) without her as i have a superb 0 in every combat skill, i hoped to have her help and already crafted her a nice gun. There is absolutely nothing i know i can do to raise my alignment here, if i must leave without her i must destroy the new bridge (this will lower my alignment) then go to another town, make some quests to raise my al. and some day come back to Shrouded Hills. By this time my level will be much higher than 4 (i'm already 4 so it's not what prevents her from joining me) and she won't be that usefull then (i like to grab my followers when i'm exactly their level btw). Is her al. check meant to be really high (a bit strange for a "gun to hire") or is it a bug? She rather likes me btw as her reaction is something like 63 in case that matters.

EDIT :
    Hy rroyo, i downloaded your fix and copied it to the dlg folder, it didn't overwirte anything bacause the file there is named "30517Cerdo Proudfoot.dlg" and not "30517Cerdo_Proudfoot.dlg" (there was no underdash in the old file name).

EDIT PART2 :
    OK back with Faithe i tried again, this time with the second line, and i had another dialog that allowed me to recruit her. I forgot to screenshot the double-line again :smash:

A side note : i reached Dernholm and found a boat to Catan. When i reached Catan however, the boat landing site was not marked on my map (i used the fix to prevent all areas from being marked at the start) It's rather annoying when you have to find your boat back to return to dernholm :/

I hope all this helps you find and fix bugs and glitches.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

As soon as I wake up a bit more, I'll go back through Faithe's dialog and see how many other glitches got missed. One thing though - she shouldn't be rejecting you as the alignment is set for +1 or better to hire and 0 or less for rejection. This is odd.

As for Cerdo's dialog, when I uploaded the thing, Rapidshare seems to have added the underscore. Just like you, my copy of the dlg file has a space between the words.
    I'll edit the post to tell folks to rename the original dlg.

I found your edit and located the problem. Here's a modified scr that will mark the map:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/49722948/30403DernholmToCattan.scr

Download the scr, move it to the Sierra/Arcanum/Arcanum5.dat/scr folder and allow to overwrite.

A proper correction will be on the next release.

12. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Because I'm too lazy to play it through properly :p

And a log would also be interesting to read.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The only way you could read it right now is to come to Oregon
    and open a rather large notebook. :lol:

14. wayne-scales

anyway, keep up the good work. i look forward to all the new changes!

15. Bob Morane

Bob Morane New Member

Yes, as i said in my first edit, only the first line is bugged, not the second. If i choose the second one she joins me. So i guess the bugged line sends to a wrong line in the dlg file, wich randomly happens to be the reject sentence :-?

Another note, i saw an Althea dialog in the dlg folder and had a look at it (since althea was a follower in car-arcanum mod), from some of the sentences i guess she is the woman working in the Panari Temple in Shrouded Hills. However when i speak to the woman in the temple, i just get the random babbling for common villagers (male villagers btw)

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thanks for narrowing my focus on Faithe's script. I should have it debugged sometime today.

As for Althea: She is the librarian. I am using the name and she will be a friend of sorts to Virgil but that's as far as it goes. He just about drove her up the wall with questions about the Panarii. (grin)

The dialog you found was my first real attempt at one and was way beyond my skill level at the time. Still is, actually. I need her to be on a script that has multiple dialogs covering the different races and alignments as well as her reactions to you after you return from the Void.

Since I couldn't get that simple one to work properly, I just threw her on a generic rumors script for now.

17. wayne-scales

would it be possible to see your character riding the train an be able to talk to people on it?

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not that I'm aware of. The train is just facades - artwork, like the castles or Bate's house.

The only way that would start to be possible is to somehow create the train interior in a way that's similar to the castle interiors. And without Troika's build tools, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

19. wayne-scales

yeah, suppose.

an by the way, did you add Harry Baules Pawn Shop or was it there already?

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that. :)
    Magnus mentions a pawnshop in the merchants' quarter and so I added one.
    The name was inspired by the Pink Panther movies.

Our Host!