Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Vorak: Thanks!

Frosted Ambassador:
    3) Let me know which ones. If any are acting up, now's a good time to tell me.

4) The exits for Brandybuck - and the flaws you mentioned - was the best I could do. The round doors are not stock art and the PC tended to stop at the doorway without being teleported outside unless I added the dirt for that one extra step.

5) You're right, he won't. The map-marking is still in the initial dialog. I've been waiting to hear if this was adaquate or not.

7) I could use some specific examples, please.

8 ) After you kill Oren, go talk to Shackleford one more time.

9) Like Drog, I removed the level limits from the random encounters. So yes, there is a lot more of them.

11) I'll have to double-check this again. I had to move the interface listings to accomodate the racial icons, and with the headaches of jumped listing numbers, it's entirely possible that the schematic has become glitched.

To anyone: Here's the new schematics I've made, please locate, try them, and let me know if they are working right. Be sure to save before you do though - just in case.

Electrolyte Solution - "Pump House" at the northwest corner of Tarant.
    Create Sheet Metal - Black Root smith.
    Create Dwarven Steel - BMC.
    Create Dwarven Ore - The rest is in the twin cities in Vendigroth Provence.
    Create Vendigroth Sheet Metal
    Create Vendigrothian Large-Bore Rifle
    Create Vendigrothian Padded Gloves

Edit: Corrected listing.

2. Darkform

Darkform New Member

Create Dwarven Steel - is in BMC.

also do you have the fix for Explosive Decoy? if not it is in Wheel Clan and should be removed. I didn't test it because I hate Decoy if I use and don't tell followers to Back Off they attack my Decoy before enemies and useualy there is no Decoy left for the enemy to go after. by the time I reach Wheel Clan the benefit of followers attacking with me outweigh having them Back Off and throwing a Decoy. now if I had working Explosive Decoys when fighting the Ore Golems in BMC I would use them.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You're right! My mistake.
    And the fix for the Explosive Decoy hasn't been added yet.

Side-note: I just discovered that some of the toggle-off scripts for Brandybuck have vanished! As in no longer in the current inventory.
    This effects Dakia, Racuu, Vupavi, the blacksmith, Binezonuv, Dahia, Mulin, and Neddao - for certain.

Interesting.....

4. Zeplar

Zeplar New Member

Anyone else unable to download this? Freezes around 45% for me... ><
    Tried with Firefox and with IE.... *frustrationattack*

5. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Rroyo:

Without making a new thread, could I ask.

Have we implemented "essentially" every art file that Arcanum potentially has? Browsing through arcanum2.dat I can swear there are arts I've never seen before (i_rusted_generic_rifle, rifle01, hushedpistol, breach loading chamber, i_city01_0_0_0, i_tool_pouch_0_0_0, i_ring02_0_0_, i_robe01_0_0_0)

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to modding, so take that into account.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Zeplar!

Just for the hell of it, I'm downloading the hack and (edit) just completed a full download without a problem.
    I have nothing to back me up on this, but I suspect the problem may lie with your IP provider dropping or bypassing your usage to free up bandwidth for another user.
    I encountered this frequently when I was on dial-up.
    Perhaps a friend with a different provider would be good enough to let you download to his computer? Or else choose a time when everyone else is in bed - that's what I did.

Ambassador: Like you, I did notice some odds and ends that didn't seem to be in the game, but I only added the ones that already had listings for them.
    The hushed pistol, breach loader, and rusted rifle are now available in the gunsmiths' inventory, but the city suit, ring, and robe still aren't.
    The robe does have a bit of interest to me as it looks like a well-worn duster. If I ever see a good place for one, I might just have to add it.

Edit: Also - I'm on a kind of "wait and see" basis to find out what all Drog is going to be activating in the bug-fix. Once I get the final numbers, I'll know where I can safely add more.

Edit 2: About incorporating all the mods - no I haven't. An idea of making a patch that adds all of Troika's mods did cross my mind but if you'll read this thread, you'll know why I've backed away.

http://vnboards.ign.com/the_arcanum_inn/b5037/107055431/p1

It starts just about a quarter of the way down - Posted on 4/30.

And before anyone mentions it - I believe that adding Lost Dungeon of Souls to my hack would cheapen it. It was done well enough that it should remain a stand-alone adventure.

Vormantown was the one everyone - including me - kept wishing they could get to from the main game, and that's why I added it.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Frosty, I don't know if you solved number 12, but have you considered turning off your virus/spyware software, or other background programs? I had a similar issue with Arcanum, and after shutting off my firewall/virus-scan/spyware remover/toaster-management software, it ran with nearly no issues. However, I can't say that this is true of A:WIP. I'm going to go to bed, as it's currently 6am or so, and that makes it my bedtime. However, once I get up again I intend to install A:WIP 4.0, and have a go at it! :)

p.s: Rroyo, do you know if LDoS conflicts with your mod? I'ven't played that yet either...

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

At the moment, yes it will.

Turn off my hack by renaming the Arcanum5.dat and the Arcanum.patch1 with an X in front of the names and enjoy the mod.

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

Do you plan to add more modules to arcanum like LDoS (and maybe dusty dunes when its finished?)

So far I did try to install WIP4.0 however it did not work out for me. I know it has conflct with my edited version. I guess I have to reinstall Arcanum which I will do after my current playtru (as charismic educator)

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

So basicly - no.

And better luck on your next install!

11. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

RRoyo my friend....once again you have outdone yourself!

Excellent work and I look forward to going through the hassle of reinstalling the whole thing to see what you've done :p

A few questions though, things I noticed with 3.0 and a few other things:

1) does this version incorporate Droggs fix to remove the Spell Permancy Trick?

2) I noticed in version 3.0 that a lot of shopkeepers carry a lot "hard to find" items very early on...not that an "honest game" won't make you wait before you can make any use of them, but certain things like the Litani seem to pop up everywhere.

3) Another thing I noticed is that The Boil isn't that much of a challenge anymore. Granted that experience has a bit to do with this, but if you have a handfull of followers and a few decent items (bought) like Anesthetizer or Strong Poison, you can get through without too much hassle. Any chance you could expand on The Boil in future versions, either adding more enemies, traps or even furtheringthe storyline along, by adding extra areas. One idea could be have a gang of halfling street urchins living in a certain area, masters at using poisonous weapons and knockout gas to slay their victims. Another would be an area that has "dog fights" which you could getthrown into if you don't watch yourself?

4) Any chance you might add Spot from Car Arcnum (the trap sniffing wolf/dog)? :p

5) Will you be adding extra locations on Half-Ogre island?

6) Are the Gun Automaton, Explosive Decoy, Clockwork HEaler, Drochs Warbringer gona be "buildable)?

Thanks for your time dude and props on teh great work once again!

12. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I hope not. at least not Create Undead because of Droggs "fix" on that I won't play his "fix". my thoughts on it is NPCs can make undead that stay around after they die (that's why there is so many undead walking around un supervised) so players that get 4 skills in Necro Black + 3 skills in Meta should be able to make undead that don't cost Fatigue. besides thats 7 skills + 10 Int + 15 Will = from base 8 stats 16 skill compared to 19 int and 7 in Mechanical for Mechanical Arachnid that = from base 8 Int 18 skill. the Mechanical Arachnids are auto lvl 20 and cost no Fatigue or spell slots. I think having perminant undead minions balance the ability to have more followers than cha +1 allows for a techie vs mage. the other "fixes" I'm ok with but Undead was not "broken" to begin with. if Rroyo "fixes" undead I will quit playing his mod.

from what I know:
    Automation Gunner no
    Explosive Decoy no
    Drochs Warbringer yes

13. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Fourhorsemen: Welcome back and thanks!

1) Not in this release or the next (4. something) as something inside my hack refused to let that be corrected. When I get to the 5.0 release, then yes, as I will be adapting my hack to work with the Arcanum Patch instead of try to force the patch to work with my hack.
    Darkform: It was nice knowing you.

2) Yeah, the inventories were the maxed-out reworked ones I did for Car-Arcanum and slowly but surely I been going back through them. Enjoy it while it lasts.

3)
    I hadn't really planned on doing much more than adding a brothel where the empty building beside Malloy's (sp?) is now. This'll be one of the places where VD is a problem. And....Remember the postings about "From Dusk till Dawn"?

4) I've thought about make new animal followers with this ability from time to time and even considered a small rework on the Worthless Mutt to give him spot trap abilities, but so far, I haven't acted on them.

5) I really wasn't going to, but I recently saw a movie that's a variation of Island of Dr. Moreau. It gave me an idea that could be worked into the Half-Ogre quest, so - maybe...

6)
    Add Clockwork Healer no to the list - At least until they get properly fixed.
    Tekkus McDwarf managed to cobble together an Automaton Gunner that worked, but it still had problems that I wasn't knowledgeable enough to help him overcome.

Ambassador: Between me and Drog, most of what I see at Photobucket was or is now used in the game. The armour and such are noteworthy exceptions because there is some reason that Troika neglected to activate them. One or two oversights is to be expected, but that many?

Just to comment on a few odds and ends:

The first one there is called Banded Armour, and it's not yet been added, but it is of interest to me.
    Most of the weapons there are now available - the Hushed Revolver, the Reaper Axe (with the skulls), and the maces.
    The crumpled newspaper has been activated in Drog's latest patch.
    You have a few pics there that are used for busted items - di_staff for example.
    I'll conclude with the pistols. Better-looking art was made for those and someone neglected to remove the old stuff.

So yeah, somewhere along the way there will be some "new" stuff appear in inventories, but not just yet.

15. Darkform

Darkform New Member

why not leave the undead be and let player decide if they want to make them perm or not?

if the player doesn't want to no one is forcing them I understand charm because the charm spells are all 1 skill point and you target a live thing but with Create Undead it is 4 skill points and you target a dead thing so by the time you use it the battle is almost or already over making it a waste of a spell if you can't perm it. waist of a lvl 4 spell slot leaveing just harm as a good Necro Black spell but if your doing spell "fixes" you will most likely "fix" harm also making Necro Black as useful as Therapeutics. one of the main chars I make when I play Arcanum is Darkform a misunderstood Necro Black mage with throwing skill so he doesn't over use harm.

I'm not saying to not fix harm I know it is unbalanced but I'm begging *gets on his knees* PLEASE let Create Undead be permable.

I play as Darkform maybe 45% of the time, Jhon Sivan a techie 45% of the time, a random mage 4% of the time, a random techie 4% of the time and a random non magick/tech char 2% of the time.

if I keep going after Create Undead is altered I will lose out on 45% of my perfered play style.

I might would stay dump the Darkform name and in his place just make a Invisibility mage so I can get the number of things following me that I wanted but if I wanted Automations I would be playing a techie wouldn't I?

Edit: one good thing about perm Undead and balance is you can't make them wait so if you tryed to get Automations you have to turn every one of them Invisable after 4 + you you just can't do it and even with 4 your downing Fatigue pots so fast it is hard to walk, I tryed it LOL, like 5 steps and your at 0 Fatigue.

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

:lol: Thank you for the best laugh I've had in weeks!

Tell you what, if I can figure out how to do it, I'll leave Create Undead alone.
    That seems like a reasonable request especially since the horror movies suggest that undead slaves can hang around for centuries....

At the moment, I know virtually nothing about the mechanics of the spells.

17. Darkform

Darkform New Member

if you can't figure it out or give up I will look into it after it's released and give you my "fix" to add to release after that. hopefully it's just a script that says:
    1) Dweomer Shield can't cancel spells a b or c
    or
    2) if Dweomer Shield is cast on undead the undead dies
    I think it would be #1 that would cover Charm Charm Beast and Create Undead and the fix of the "fix" could be just taking Create Undead off the list.

oh by the way I think the mages ability to get Automations easy should be fixed but then again if they put points in repair it hurts their magick and if they don't the Automations are as good as dead.

edit: besides if create undead coulden't be perm then Necromizer would need to be nuked also it doesn't require a techie to spend Fatigue in upkeep.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'll keep you in mind for the fix.

The Arcanum Patch does correct this. One day, so will my hack.

On a different note, and I'll go with public opinion here:

I just noticed that the Boil guards have no weapons.
    Should they and what kind?

19. Darkform

Darkform New Member

submachine guns. LOL IDK standard guard gear maybe.

20. Darkform

Darkform New Member

sorry for double post.

I didn't bring out my BIG guns:

Create Undead is called Create Undead NOT Create Temporary Undead.

and I think Harm should be fixed maybe made Fatigue damage instead because:

Harm is called Harm NOT Kill

Our Host!