Arcanum Pen & Paper version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caleb, Nov 27, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Caleb

Caleb New Member

HELLO!!!!! :D
    Well I´m new here, so I´m not sure how it really works, but I´ve a question for ya:
    Does anyone know if there´s a pen & paper version of this incrrrreeeedible game by Troika??
    I love these guys!!!!
    I have the Fallout pen & paper game, you can find it in www.iamapsycho.com
    Please tell me if you know where can I find the Arcanum pen & paper version!!!
    THANX!!!!!!!!!!

:akimbo:

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

As far as I know, there isn't one. I didn't even know there was one for Fallout, although the news isn't that surprising...

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    A PnP version of Arcanum would be nice, though I feel that many features in the actual pc-game would be bothersome to comprehend within a PnP session (like, for example, calculate what effects two feuding characters different aptitudes will incur).

Some modifications have to be made. Arcanum, as a pc-game, is a very "20-stat dependant" game, a fact that should be balanced out to encourage PnP play, were higher levels take far more time to reach.

What about 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons, slightly modified to fit with the Arcanum world?

Just a thought taken from the air...

4. xento

xento New Member

What the heck is a pen and paper version? Never head of it before.

5. Milo

Milo New Member

Pen and Paper RPGs, you know. Like Dungeons and Dragons. Character sheets and 12 sided dice. Shouting "I attack with my mace of maiming +5!" at the Dungeon Master as chips fly out of your mouth and your orange soda spills on your hand drawn grid map.

6. xento

xento New Member

Oh.... You mean one of those "flat" games?

7. Milo

Milo New Member

If by "flat" you mean "nerd", then yes.

It's what we played in the old days before the internet came along and allowed us absolutely no social interaction at all. It's Everquest without the graphics or the poop can.

8. xento

xento New Member

Oh, the board game?

How can you make a board game RPG without totally messing it up?? :-?

9. Milo

Milo New Member

If by "board" you mean "imagination", then yes.

There's no board, man. It's just talking, some dice, a pen and paper to keep track of things, and maybe a map (that you draw yourself as you go through the dungeon). The DM leads you and whoever else is playing through a story.

You Roleplayed in the roleplaying forum didn't you? It's just like that except that you can't just say "and then I killed him." You attack him and roll the dice to see if you hit him or not. Then you roll some more to see how much damage you did. Then you roll some more... then you roll some more... then you roll some more...

Then you tell the DM that you want to go down the west path. Then he rolls some dice and rolls some dice and rolls some dice and rolls some dice and rolls some dice and rolls some dice, and tells you that you fell into a hole and that a twig hit you in the eye on the way down, blinding you, and that you will have a negative modifier to your attack rolls. That is unless you can make a "Saving Throw vs. Twig Blinding", you roll some dice and roll some dice and roll some dice, and then mark your character sheet "-5 to hit, cuz I'm blind now, the DM is cheating".

10. xento

xento New Member

11. Milo

Milo New Member

It was pretty boring. Or maybe it's just that we had a shitty DM and no one really knew how to play.

We liked Battletech a lot more. That game had an actual board and focused on tactical fights. None of that role playing or creativity. It was all designing mechs and then fighting it out to see who's design and tactics were best.

12. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

hey i liek ur ritein style lol
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rifle: :minigun:

13. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

nbrosz, you should give traditional roleplaying a chance, it's great fun if you get a good DM.(I recommend Slug Bug.) Milo, don't you feel "old" having to explain the way it used to be? Man, before I know it, I'll be wearing diapers again.

Our Host!