Arcanum Multiplayer.. working!!!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by wayne-scales, Mar 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Well, when you said Multiplayer didn't work, I assumed you meant at all, so I thought I'd upload these screenshots.

I don't know if this is the usual step people get to, and if so, I don't know what's not working about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You accomplished this without characters being kicked out of the game for no apparent reason, the game not lagging like Doom 3 on a 386 and all the other fun stuff Arcanum multiplayer used to annoy the hell out of me with the few times I tried before I gave up completely? If so, how the fuck did you do it?

3. wayne-scales

Woah!!! I didn't think this was a big deal!!

Anyway, you need to get Hamachi, version 1.0.0.59. Do not update!!! or else it won't work. Google Search for the right version. Join the network terra-arcanum. The password is virgil.

Edit 28 June '08: Second network:
    Network name: Bad Idea
    Network password: terra-arcanum

Then just start up Arcanum, and create a Network game.

Note: If this doesn't work you may need to move Hamachi to the top of adapters and bindings

Control panel
    Network Connections
    Advanced
    Advanced settings
    (in xp)

However, I did not need to do this on either computer I used.

Edit: As you may have noticed, I uploaded a few more screenshots onto the Photobucket account I linked to earlier.

Edit 2: And no, it didn't crash. But both computers I used were sharing an internet connection. Hopefully that had nothing to do with this but I thought I'd let you know just in case.

Edit 3: Some screenies of setting up and the like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Impressive. It's possible that sharing the same connection via a router was a big part in making it possible, but that's pure speculation.

5. wayne-scales

I'll have to find a third computer with a different connection to test it.

6. Conjurer

Conjurer New Member

Yeah, Hamachi pretty makes your computer think its on a wired LAN when you really arent. That's why it worked with Arcanum.

The only way I ever got Arcanum to work multiplayer was when I played with my father over our LAN.

We could try to play over Hamachi, see if it works for either of us again. It seems you just did a normal lan, using Hamachi as a Catalyst.

7. partahousu

partahousu New Member

Hamachi

Can't connect to terra-arcanum because it is full and full means 16 players.
    Is someone able to kick the non-active users from there please so I can connect and play or is this even a active thing at all? :eek:

And don't say gravedig :(

8. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Re: Hamachi

You shouldn't gravedig. This thread died. Also, the issue isn't that it's full, the issue is that it doesn't exist anymore. They don't've a server that hosts Arcanum anymore.

10. partahousu

partahousu New Member

dude

You don't need server to play arcanum through hamachi! Because arcanum works in LAN so it works in Hamachi too so why wouldn't people play?

11. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Because single player is so much more fun to play.

12. DarkFool

That and the fact that you can't play the main Arcanum campaign multiplayer.

Yes, I realize that you actually can with a little work... but shush.

13. team a

team a New Member

I knew someone did this recently! I have to say, if there was ever a useful gravedig, this was it, considering the discussion going on in the other thread, which has mainly been a theoretical discussion. Would anyone be willing to try this out? I'm going to be out of town until sunday or monday, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Also... t-a had an Arcanum server? So someone knows how to set it up?

14. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

No, just no.

Arcanum isn't supposed to be played that way.

15. partahousu

partahousu New Member

agreed

I agree with team a. I would sertainly give it a try!
    Though arcanum multiplayer doesn't seem so long lasting but it could be fun for awhile :p

16. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

There, I fixed that problem in the site where stuff wasn't making sense when people put arcanum and multiplayer together.

17. DarkFool

*sighs* I happen to've 3 computers, and a hamachi connection. I may give it a try this weekend, but I offer no guarantees.

18. team a

team a New Member

what about Vormantown, at least? It was obviously designed for it. And by obviously, I mean that there are specific sections of the dialog and script code that refer to things done by, or told to, other players. If people think Arcanum module shouldn't be done, that's fine, there are lots of difficulties anyway. However, I think Vormantown, as the only real multiplayer mod, should be played this way.

19. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

The thing is, the Arcanum OC is pretty easy to go through when you actually apply yourself to the task. The reason it takes me so long (and I'm sure others as well) is because it's so fun to lolli-gag in it. Instead of grinding out the main quest, it's more fun to go explore and collect schematics and parts and actually role play your character with the NPCs. 2 or more people playing it multiplayer could probably crush the main quest in mere hours. Without the sense of direction the main quest offers, it would probably be difficult to motivate the players to stay in a group when each would have a different goal or agenda they want to accomplish, depending on what type of character they're playing. You need a module that is actually designed more for 2, 3, or more players and focuses on team work; a module that mostly consists of lengthy side quests, respawnable monsters, etc. But now we're getting into the MMORPG waters where plot and role play begin taking a back seat to dungeon romping and item trading. And we DO NOT want that in Arcanum.

20. wayne-scales

I approve of the name change. It really is a bad idea. Just because you can connect now, it doesn't technically mean it's working. Arcanum was just not meant for multiplayer

Our Host!