Arcanum models in 3D

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by on1ondevelopment, Apr 9, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Okay, rather than making a new thread for each model, I will make one for all of the models I make and update regularly whenever I make a new model from Arcanum. Right, so that's that then!!!

Here is the Molotov Cocktail, this time I added a fancy background to it.

[​IMG]

Software used: Blender (for the model and render), Paint.NET (for final touches to add more depth and some text).

A while ago, I made also the Fine Steel Dagger but I didn't post it 'til now. Here it is!

[​IMG]
    The image was not as worked through as the Molotov, I was a bit short of time when making it.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Congratulations on thread #1000 in the Arcanum Discussion board.

on1ondevelopment likes this.
  3. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Do I get a reward now? Some Dwarven Snuff would suit me.

4. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I'm unsure if this is considered necromancing old threads as it has been nearly two months, I wanted to keep this regularly updated but I'm rather busy and haven't time to make models at every moment.
    Well, I guess it is better than to make a new thread for each model at least.
    Anyways, here is the Rifled Cannon.

[​IMG]

I call myself "Naedrux" around the web, but names can't be changed here and I've been "on1ondevelopment" for years as well, so please do not get confused.
    Also, I used the Morpheus font this time, the same one as in Arcanum, which looks much better.

I hope you enjoy!

-on1ondevelopment/Naedrux... Whatever, just call me Andreas instead.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

2 months isn't really a necro, especially not around here.

To what end are you making these models?

6. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

It is challenging to make models from a 2D game in 3D, but I get good results and I can use these models for fan-art. Maybe they can be used for an unofficial sequel to Arcanum if we're not getting anything else, such as "Renegade X" which is an unofficial sequel to Command and Conquer Renegade, if you've played that game. I'm imagining a game inspired by Arcanum but in 3D (though not as bad as Fallout 3), set in the same universe with new versions of the music and such. It would be considered copying Troika's ideas, but maybe we could ask whoever has the rights to Arcanum were we to make our own sequel. Nonetheless, I'm going to keep making these models no matter what will happen in the future.

7. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Looks nice.
    Curious if you're going to leave it albino or flesh it out with some color.

8. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

As am I. That depends on how much time I have available, and if it's difficult to do or not. I'm still rather new to 3D modelling, I've only done this since 2012 and without education - it's just a hobby.

9. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

[​IMG]

And also, here's the logo for Magick. I'll make the one for Technology the next time I make something from Arcanum.

10. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Well, now we finally know your youtube channel and steam name.

11. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I'm becoming famous, huzzah! Oh wait... now you know everything about me. Well, I'm off to Vendigroth to hide in that case.

12. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

So I haven't done any models in a while now. But coincidentally, I did find a rather recent post on a website, with another person making models from Arcanum. I will make more myself soon, but it's great to see that someone else is also doing the same thing.
    I'm leaving the link here, if anyone is interested: http://eat3d.com/forum/work-progress/arcanum-fan-art

13. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

I am straying a bit away from the Arcanum models in 3D, but I thought that this version of "Mines" from the Arcanum soundtrack that I recently made, is also worthy of sharing:

Also, I am starting work on a Shreck's Multi-Barreled Pistol right at the very moment of writing this down.

EDIT: I already had a model of a pepperbox revolver lying around, so I decided to edit it heavily rather than making a completely new model for the MBP. Here is a picture of what I've done so far: [​IMG]
    To be done: Barrels, Iron Sights, Handle Details
    Finished: Trigger, Basic Shape (Yes, that is all.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  14. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Nice work - beat me to making them in 3D Myself! :p I'm actually studying games programming so I can make my own version of Arcanum (different story + world). Maybe we can pool our resources or something. Will be a long while before I start needing 3d models though.

15. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Has any of you tried contacting Drog? Or whatever his name is at the Arcanumalive project site. He has some sort of a semi-working version Arcanum engine he hacked together himself, along with source code and ideas for where to take it next. Granted, remaking the game through reverse engineering might be just as much work as creating a separate project, but at least it stands a chance of being true to the original.

16. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

No I haven't, but somehow I don't think any kind of collaboration would work, too much trolling from his part :p

17. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Isn't Arcanumalive Crypton's baby? If so, I guess he's hardly a better collaborator than Drog.

18. Arcanum_Noob

Arcanum_Noob New Member

[Performs the ancient art of necromancy on this post]

I have ghosted the forums long enough (9 or so years), methinks, in search of a 3D Arcanum build a la Skywind.

I did not find one. If there is one and I just missed it, let me know, otherwise I think I'll build one. Not sure how Skywind licensing works, but I know that, strictly speaking, you can't call it the same name or use the same assets. So remake the assets, rebuild the world, etc. Oh, and make it free.

I have been toying around with Unreal Engine 4, and I think I'll use that.

I'm just focusing on mockups for the starting area right now using basic shape primitives. I want to get the scripting behaviors done up, and depending on how I feel, adding more interesting terrain. I'll probably throw down some voice work, too, when it comes to dialogue options.

Additionally, I always loved that, if you were determined and had a decent sense of direction, you could nudge as close to the relative area of a specific location in the world map, go to the local view, and just start walking until you reached it. I want to keep that sense of adventure, as well as expanding the map.

I am 30 years old, been working and going to school for a while now and I'm in my last semester of a bachelor's degree program in computer science. I am no expert on Unreal Engine 4, vaguely remember 3DS max modeling from high school, and while I got good grades in school, I'm a journeyman programmer at best. This will be a weekend hobby for me, so don't expect leaps and bounds of progress, but I'm hoping that the use of UE4 will make mocking up levels easier, and then just dropping in 3D assets as we go. That will make focusing on the scripting, AI, and acquiring/designing models easier.

Below is just a quick little messing around session. Gonna see what I can do to flesh it out more.
    Arcanum.png

19. Arcanum_Noob

Arcanum_Noob New Member

Fiddled with some of the sculpting tools, made kind of a cliff that overlooks the Zephyr crash site. User 3dhaupt over at free3d.com made a spaceship kinda thing. Not the Zephyr of the end game (personal license) but it's way prettier than the cylinder for a mockup. Maybe find someone like them to make a cool Zephyr...

Zephyr_Mock.png Zephyr_Mock_2.png

20. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

That's one way to hijack a thread! And let the dead rest in peace goddammit!

Jokes aside, your dedication is appreciated. I'm not sure how much I've said about my 3D adventures in this thread before and I can't be bothered with going through it all again.

If you want to, you can use my models in your build. In fact, I could make more of them for you.
    Never found an use for my Arcanum assets myself, but I've been toying with the idea of a 3D remake of the game too.
    I've only ever used Blender, but I've used that program since 2012 so I'm fairly competent with it.

Did you join the Arcanum Discord channel? There's been a lot of discussion about this topic there lately. If you want to, hit me up there (I'm KaiserAndrews) and we can maybe coordinate working together. My interest in the game has decayed over the years but recently it's been getting back and I'd love to play around with some people and ideas.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
Our Host!