Arcanum mod released

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by mathboy, Oct 13, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Quaid

Quaid Member

I'm sorry, but I don't think there is any way the file would have been named that unless you specifically saved it as 'Doomsday_v1.0-2.dat', and the file size is definitely off. Notepad will do nothing for you since it is a .dat file and Notepad won't recognize it.

Question: Are you listening to heavy metal when trying to download this? Metallica and Megadeath can have adverse affects on computers...

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

...Are you a fuckin psycic?! How the hell did you know that Metallica and Megadeth were my two favorite bands!?!?!? O.O
    Weird...

Anyways, no, suprisingly I wasn't listening to music at that time I think.

And what should I use to open it?

3. Mr. Frekenbok

Mr. Frekenbok New Member

When I playing this module, especially when I delivering moonshine to the fortress guard, suddenly arcanum start terrible lagging.. :-(
    Wtf?
    Can anyone tell me why?

4. Quaid

Quaid Member

Hi Mr. Frekenbok. Thanks for trying out my mod.

For future reference, I would appreciate anyone mentioning potential quest spoilers to either state 'potential spoiler warning' or use the 'spoiler' button in the Post Reply. Thanks!

Mr. F - During playtesting I did notice times when the game would slow down. I have heard that during extended play Arcanum can build up 'file garbage' that will bog it down over time. Do you have a previous save game you can reload? I've been running through the mod (downloaded from the same link everyone else is using) and I haven't seen any game stopping slowdown at this time.

The mod may require more computing power than the main game, although it would seem strange if that was the case considering Arcanum's massive size.

Any/All of the following system specs would be helpful in targeting the problem:

-Processor
    -Windows Version
    -RAM
    -Video Card / Video RAM
    -Sound Card

@Spiffy - Everyone loves Master of Puppets and Symphony of Destruction! And I must admit I am very stumped at your filename. I know you redownloaded it - did you rename it at that point? And there is no reason to open the file. It is ready to go! Try redownloading it, allow it to overwrite any other Doomsday file if it needs to (it should absolutely have the filename Doomsday_v1.0.dat and be 44,277 KB), put it in the Arcanum/modules folder, and then start up Arcanum.

5. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Since a KB is 1024 B,
    45 339 063 bytes = 44 276.4287 kilobytes. So the file size probably isn't the problem, but the renaming of the files, I don't understand, since it renames the AWIP2 in another fashion.

6. Quaid

Quaid Member

Could the renaming have anything to do with his operating system? Something upon file download?

7. Mr. Frekenbok

Mr. Frekenbok New Member

Okay, my system specs is:
    Procesor: 800 Mghz
    Windows Version: Win XP
    RAM: 256
    Videocard: 64 Mb
    Sound card: Hm.. I don`t know :D

8. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

You really shouldn't be running Windows XP on that system, it can barely run XP alone, it's no wonder it lags when you try to run a game as well.

As for the does nothing problem. Have you tried manually renaming the file to a name which doesn't contain special characters, like hyphens. Try renaming it to: doomsday.dat

9. Mr. Frekenbok

Mr. Frekenbok New Member

It`s not lagging when I run XP alone,
    But anyway thanks Xz, i renamed the file, and everything is fine.
    :)

10. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Well, I renamed it to Doomsday_v1.0.dat and it still doesn't work.

11. Quaid

Quaid Member

It appears your having the same difficulties with Doomsday that you're having with AWIP2. Have you made any progress with AWIP2?

Perhaps whatever your computer is doing to the file during download (where it changes the name) is making it unplayable.

When you downloaded and got the other mods to work, did the computer change their names? Did you get them to work on the same computer? With the same operating system?

12. Mr. Frekenbok

Mr. Frekenbok New Member

13. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

No, I don't think they changed the names of the ones that I did get to work. Yes, I got them to work with the same computer and the same operating system.

14. Mr. Frekenbok

Mr. Frekenbok New Member

I don`t know wtf..
    I renamed file, played a bit (it`s all went fine, there was no lag), then saved game, loaded, and again, lag!

15. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

WOOOOOOOOOOT!! I downloaded 1.1 and it works! YES! :D

16. Quaid

Quaid Member

@Mr. Frekenbok - try to download version 1.1 and see if it helps your issue.

17. aphg

aphg New Member

:-x SRY! I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS! Could you perhaps tell me step by step how to download this? I know first press save. Save it to which file! See I am a noob at this! Gah! Can y ou give me a hand? I don't want to pull a spiffy (No offense Spiffy!)

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, aphg!

You save it to your Sierra/Arcanum/modules folder.
    After that, you play it the same way you would Vormantown.

19. aphg

aphg New Member

Thanks! Stupid question but, Has anyone made a second full length game w/ mods and coding?

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Define "full length".
    Like Arcanum or mods like Vormantown and Doomsday?

Our Host!