Any new weapon that you want to see in Arcanum?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, Dec 20, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

A morningstar.

I'd like to see a larger variety of in-between weapons. It's one of Morrowinds greatest strengths, and it adds a nice roleplaying touch to the game for those of us who likes to play by style rather than effectiveness.

I would also like to see axes that aren't huge. Real battleaxes had quite small edges.

A small series of semi-unique weapons would also be nice. Weapons that you can't buy, but come in greater numbers than one. Think awesome swords, axes or somesuch.

A wrist-blade. The weapon gets a massive bonus to damage when used for backstabbing, but sucks otherwise (if this can be done).

A glaive. This weapon would use the same animation as staves.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I am banning myself from the internet when drunk.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

• Mace
    • Rusty Mace
    • Quality Mace
    • Charmed Mace
    • Magick Mace
    • Mystic Mace
    • Arcane Mace
    • Mace of Betrayal
    • Mace of the Damned
    You're aware that these are out there, right?

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I guess what rychek is really complaining about is the lack of worthwhile maces in the game. As it stands, the only blunt weapon worth its salt is the Iron Clan Hammer. All the others are inferior to swords and axes.

7. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

How about a whip for fans of Indiana Jones and/or Castlevania?

Also, it might be fun to have a cestus and other things to improve one's punching power. There are some metal gauntlets that give you a damage bonus, which is potentially cool. But I'm thinking more like brass knuckles or some kind of strap-on claws...

Additionally, how about a KGB-style shoe dagger?

As seen in old James Bond movies, Russian spies apparently really did kick people with knife blades sticking out of their shoes sometimes. It would be another weird, potentially fun way to spice up fighting hand-to-hand.

Imagine if you will... It looks like you're being quirky and trying to punch spiders to death. But you're really inflicting damage like you're using a dagger every time a kick lands and your punches are actually a fairly decent edged attack because you're using a set of Indian tiger claws...

8. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

There are almost no technological blunt weapons in the game. It would be nice to have a cogwheel-maul that increases the damage by "expanding" upon an impact. Or a vibrating mace that (leaving all sexual innuendos aside) simply pulverizes whatever it hits like a jackhammer.

9. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

I know what you mean. Some of the magical maces are pretty decent weapons, but I tend to use them more as a source of free mana instead of trying to hit people with them. The good ones tend to be too heavy for my mage characters or followers like Perriman Smythe to use effectively.

I've gotten good results by giving Virgil a Mystic Mace before, but even then he'll jump at any opportunity to equip another weapon despite the fact that something that inflicts a lot of fatigue damage and stores mana should be right up his alley.

... so even if you stumbled across one the better maces in a random chest, you might not end up getting much use out of it. And the whole random aspect makes it slightly harder to play as a Dungeons and Dragons-style Cleric unless you're willing to settle for buying a Quality Mace and then trying to decide if your character would use any of the weird cursed ones.

And then there's the whole "the game engine is just messing with me now" aspect where it's hard to plan around giving a character some specific kind of trademark weapon. You may want your Paladin or Cleric-type character to only use blunt weapons and then find nothing but Charmed Axes and a bunch of bows you'll never use. If you start over as an Elf archer, you won't find anything but magic broadswords that are too heavy for you and that cool mace you wanted last time. And on it goes...

10. rychek

rychek New Member

Basically, yes. There are maces, but there really aren't maces that are worth anything to casters or lovers of technology. They are mostly slow and do garbage damage /:

also, as previously mentioned, a flail or morning star would have been AWESOME.

I know this will sound cheesy, but... a rail gun would be cool too :D
    (one that in fact fires rail road nails, which unfortunately do not stack)
    It would obviously have to be at the top of the electrician tree!

11. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Oh, I know what you are talking about, rychek.

[​IMG]

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I must of been dreaming when I thought there was a machined maul in the game.

13. rychek

rychek New Member

OH HELL YEAH XD

just would have been nice to see a fire arm competitive with droch's warbringer.

14. richmier

richmier New Member

Nice shotgun,
    here's mine.
    [​IMG]

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

16. rudybro

rudybro New Member

Yeah I want to see them, they're cool.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You dug this thread up to toss on a whopping six words supporting the addition of a single gun? Ah. A delightful reminder of why this forums is filled with assholes.

18. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Come now, at least he quoted a quote of a large picture.

Our Host!